Word to the wise (powerbook related)

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
if and when your power adapter craps out for your ibook or powerbook, do yourself a favor and do not replace it with an apple brand. You'll save yourself about $25 and get better quality with a 3rd party product. And you'll only miss the light up plug for about 2 seconds.

Comments

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    also don't drop your powerbook too many times, then your optical drive stops working and when people hand you a CD you can't do anything with it....it's like back in the pre-Microwave days

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    if and when your power adapter craps out for your ibook or powerbook, do yourself a favor and do not replace it with an apple brand. You'll save yourself about $25 and get better quality with a 3rd party product.

And you'll only miss the light up plug for about 2 seconds.

My company bought me the Kensington plug which was $125 (!!??) It was the only thing CompUSA had in a pinch. The Kensington one is ugly and the charge takes 4 ever. I rebought the Apple one for home and like it way better.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    if and when your power adapter craps out for your ibook or powerbook, do yourself a favor and do not replace it with an apple brand. You'll save yourself about $25 and get better quality with a 3rd party product.

Be careful when you do that. Often 3rd party adapters don't have the right megahertz or the build quality is cheap. It will eventually fry your computers. Cheap cellphone chargers do this all the time to cellphones. Always better to go with the same brand charger.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Saying - if you're going to buy a Powerbook, absolutely pay for Applecare. Shit has saved my ass time and time again. And it will cover the cost of a new adapter.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Be careful when you do that. Often 3rd party adapters don't have the right megahertz or the build quality is cheap. It will eventually fry your computers. Cheap cellphone chargers do this all the time to cellphones. Always better to go with the same brand charger.

I feel pretty confident for two reasons:

1) if you go on the apple.com store and look up the reviews for the PB adapter, damn near every single one of them is a complaint. I think it barely gets 1.5 stars (out of 5)

2) I got my replacement at Tekserve here in NY, which has been around longer than either of the applestores, and I trust them with 3rd party apple products. And it's the same brand of charger that my buddy has had for a while now and he's had no problems.