does anyone know these records? good? bad?

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
i was offered some cool records today, fair prices but not cheap. i had the luxury of needle dropping so i picked some up (see next finds thread) but some were sealed and i had no idea if i should pull the trigger. they are being held for me for now. anyone know anything about these? comparable to ____??1. Game S/T on Evolution (looks psych-ish, but no clues on the cover)2. Ivar Ave Reunion S/T on RCA (has barry goldberg so im suspecting blues-rock - but is it good? straight blues jams are a snooze to me.)3. The Humanist Advent Concept "Supra Surge" on Reveal (appears to be Canadian (quebec?) very trippy cover.)(edit - just found this page on popsike) thanks in advance for any input you got...

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i was offered some cool records today, fair prices but not cheap. i had the luxury of needle dropping so i picked some up (see next finds thread) but some were sealed and i had no idea if i should pull the trigger. they are being held for me for now. anyone know anything about these? comparable to ____??

1. Game S/T on Evolution (looks psych-ish, but no clues on the cover)

2. Ivar Ave Reunion S/T on RCA (has barry goldberg so im suspecting blues-rock - but is it good? straight blues jams are a snooze to me.)

3. The Humanist Advent Concept "Supra Surge" on Reveal (appears to be Canadian (quebec?) very trippy cover.)
    (edit - just found this page on popsike)

thanks in advance for any input you got...

I think Ivar ave is a jam session, can't really remember. Sold it sealed recently for under $20.

I love that first Barry Goldberg Blues Band lp. Features a very very young Harvey Mandel and Charlie Musselwhite. In recent years it has become a collectible psych lp.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i was offered some cool records today, fair prices but not cheap. i had the luxury of needle dropping so i picked some up (see next finds thread) but some were sealed and i had no idea if i should pull the trigger. they are being held for me for now. anyone know anything about these? comparable to ____??

Only thing I have off the Evolution label is Lighthouse - Thoughts of Movin' On, which is 60s country rock with really good arrangements by a big band, but nothing amazing. Really dope cover though:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I think DCastle used to ride for this one. I like it, but it's odd and hard to describe. I'd say a more electric funkier psychisher Pentangle.

2. Ivar Ave Reunion S/T on RCA (has barry goldberg so im suspecting blues-rock - but is it good? straight blues jams are a snooze to me.)

I remember this record being decent. Not bluesy fartfest on record, decent listen.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The Game LP is cool. But, yes hard to describe. Revolution had a weird nich of psudo-psych. The Game is better than Lighthouse.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    The Game is Canadian related. I don't like it. I think I have a copy somewhere if someone wants it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

has some decent drums

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    thanks to all Strutters for the knowledge. i guess its gonna come down to what the guy wants for em.. i can see owning all 3 if the prices are reasonable. But none are "must haves" it appears. the Game seems the most 'good' to me, somehow i seem to want it the most. the Ivar is guaranteed good listening, but not at too much $. the Quebec(?) one that was on popsike is the most mysterious, but as it might blow chunks, ill just lowball offer and see what happens.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    GAME is certainly worth having. dope record. dope drum break. peace, stein. . .