Goldmine Record Pricing Guide...

RemedialRemedial 10 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
First post. Been lurking for a bit, soaking up knowledge. Now, I finally have an inquiry.How useful are the Goldmine Pricing guides in regards to pricing (outrageous or area lot of items undervalued)? And coverage (obscure items, etc...). Is there another guide that any of you guys might recommend?

Comments

• If you're talking about soul and funk the major price guides are all but worthless. Manship give a little but of relevant info, but not much. Follow sales on E-Bay, then subtract about a 30% bullshit quotient.

• RemedialRemedial 10 Posts
    If you're talking about soul and funk the major price guides are all but worthless. Manship give a little but of relevant info, but not much. Follow sales on E-Bay, then subtract about a 30% bullshit quotient.

Believe you me, I know that E-Bay is full of ish.. I've been burnt too many times. But, what's Manship?

• If you're talking about soul and funk the major price guides are all but worthless. Manship give a little but of relevant info, but not much. Follow sales on E-Bay, then subtract about a 30% bullshit quotient.

Believe you me, I know that E-Bay is full of ish.. I've been burnt too many times. But, what's Manship?

A guide published by UK record dealer John Manship. Plug "Manship" into an Ebay search and see how many people are riding his jock. The guide is filled with inaccuracies and missing a lot of info. Not at all comprehensive.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Follow sales on E-Bay, then subtract about a 30% bullshit quotient.

id say 45%, shit is ri-god-damn-diculous on there most of the time...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Follow sales on E-Bay, then subtract about a 30% bullshit quotient.

id say 45%, shit is ri-god-damn-diculous on there most of the time...

Ya, this is true. In terms of guides, I find price guides are out to lunch myself. I've never used one, but once we got a copy of S.O.U.L. from a dealer with one. According to his price guide a mint copy was worth $8

Basically the best price guide of all is "experience"

outside of that you're going to be taken, and you're going to get lucky. GEMM, EBAY, and Musicstack are ok, but not of the greatest help either. I mean, in theory if there is an lp on those sites still there for sale, it's priced too high or it would have been purchased already. This goes with popsike also. If there are 4-5 auctions listed you can get a price range which is probobly your best chance of selling records without a clue. If there is only 1, one of the following could have happened;

1) Nobody knew it was listed, and nobody bid.
    2) There are two idiots in a bidding war for no reason

The way I buy records is this. "In the last 15 years, how many times have I seen this or been asked about it?" If I'm 100% not knowing what it is, then I make a couple calls.

If you don't have those years under the belt, I'll admit it's hard as hell.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    As it seems to me, Goldmine tends to cater to rock collectors looking for specific pressings of Beatles, Stones records, etc. Early rock and some bop gets valued pretty high too, though there isn't as much info about specific pressings.

Does anyone know of a more comprehensive jazz guide, just for basics as far as what years changes were made to the label, etc?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Goldmine has Lynard Skynard records for $10 and $12 bucks if that tels you anything. It's pretty hard to price collectables. Records have taken suck a crazy turn in value there isn't really any sutable standard price guide. Most of us would consider LS dollar bin items, but some rocker from the SOuth might actually pay $10 so it's all subjective. All you can really do is reasearch e-bay, gemm, popsike, seller sites etc and get a rough idea. Gemm is good because you can see how all over the place sellers are with prices. You can look up a record and see it from $5 - $100!!!!

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Most of us would consider LS dollar bin items, but some rocker from the SOuth might actually pay $10 so it's all subjective.

Nope, even us folls down here think Skynyrd is dollabincommon. Now, someone turn that Sweet Home Alabama up...

All you can really do is reasearch e-bay, gemm, popsike, seller sites etc and get a rough idea.

Cosizzle. I believe it's called diggin', gettin' dusty, puttin' in work, etc.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Forget price, and concentrate on guide. What we need is more refrence books that give us label, pressing, artist histories. Prices fluctuate and a static book is not a good source for detremining them.

Forget price, and concentrate on guide. What we need is more refrence books that give us label, pressing, artist histories. Prices fluctuate and a static book is not a good source for detremining them.

Eggsaxtly!!!!! I was even talking to a Beatles guy the other day and he was saying how people are now starting to get crazy with the versions they want. " I want an American pressing pre-'78 with the pressing rim on the label." With all the re-preints we need a good guide and leave the prices to the dealers.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Nope, even us folls down here think Skynyrd is dollabincommon. Now, someone turn that Sweet Home Alabama up...

what about the rare original 'flames' cover of 'Street Survivors'?

seriously, I think the internet blew the fuck out of basic classic rock prices - dudes can see how common that shit really is. Mobile Fidelity collectors etc notwithstanding.

---

what about the rare original 'flames' cover of 'Street Survivors'?

HA HA! I had a friend mention that a few weeks ago. Goldmine has that at $25 and the later at $10. You can find both in the $5 or less section! Unless you go to some Rock specialty place that has some sealed one.