P.R. Classics (latin-raer related)

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
so we've got a reggaeton/hiphop mc coming to perform at an event this weekend and he's got a massive puerto rican following. they dig hiphop, but dig latin stuff even more... so the question is: what are some good p.r. classics that i might wanna drop? i've got my own latin rekkid collection but it's fairly self serving (tortilla factory anyone?) what i'm curious about is the tracks that cats most likely grew up with? by artists like palmieri, harlow, barretto, monguito and the like. any help is appreciated!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just a guess but El Gran Combo probably can't go wrong.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Yeah, probably some EGC, plus Palmieri's Vamonos P'al Monte, some Raphy Leavitt, and maybe some Herbie Mann when he goes muy autentico.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Just a guess but El Gran Combo probably can't go wrong.

El Gran Combo just celebrated their 45th Anniversary. Their catalouge is huge and contains a lot of doodoo. Buy a greatest hits album and look for bangers, people especially like the later Andy Montanez EGC era. Do the same with Sonora Poncena, they have a lot of classics. Can't go wrong with Willie Colon "Calle Luna, Calle Sol," "Ah Ah O No," or "La Murga." Ismael Miranda "A Si Se Compone un Son" Ismael Rivera y Cortijo "Quitate La Via Perico" Ray Barretto's "Diablo" Cheo Feliciano "Ana Caona" Fania All Stars "Que Cante Mi Gente" Pacheco's "Negra Bon Bon" etc.
    Really though people won't care too much about classics or not, as long as you can dance to it, they are likely to enjoy it. Let us know how it goes!

• I definitely wouldn't say that people won't care what you play. boricuas, dominicanas y colombianas be becky's too.

I get requests for these songs on the regular. the upside of course, is that they are all excellent. but yeah, these are some joints that heads grew up with:

Eddie Palmieri - Vamanos P'al Monte
    Willie Colon - La Murga or Dia De Mi Suerte
    Ismael Rivera - Anacaona
    Gran Combo - many tracks
    Hector Lavoe - Cantante (even though it's like 11 mins long)
    Oscar D'Leon - Lloraras
    Fruko y sus tesos - El Preso
    Ruben Blades - Pedro Navaja or Plastico

I'd write more but I gotta run. good luck.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I definitely wouldn't say that people won't care what you play. boricuas, dominicanas y colombianas be becky's too.

I get requests for these songs on the regular. the upside of course, is that they are all excellent. but yeah, these are some joints that heads grew up with:

Eddie Palmieri - Vamanos P'al Monte
    Willie Colon - La Murga or Dia De Mi Suerte
    Ismael Rivera - Anacaona
    Gran Combo - many tracks
    Hector Lavoe - Cantante (even though it's like 11 mins long)

has many changes though... great space taker because (like "Que Cante Mi Gente") people get into all of the different parts.

If you're only playing an hour, pick ten CLASSICS like that - you probably already have enough in this here thread - and you'll be fine.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    probably already have enough in this here thread

no doubt thanks to everyone for chiming in.. we'll see how it goes. now i gotta get up on some newer reggaeton!