Prince vs Michael party : May-SF/Seattle/Bend/PDX

bombhiphopbombhiphop 104 Posts
edited May 2007 in Announcements
the PRINCE vs MICHAEL partyPRINCE vs MICHAEL party - special San Francisco "extended version" with dj's Dave Paul & Jeff HarrisSaturday, May 19th 2007 @ Madrone Lounge500 Divisadero St. @ Fell, San Francisco, CA 941176pm - 2am / free til 9pm - $5 cover after 9pm / 21+ with ID PRINCE vs MICHAEL party - Seattlewith dj's Dave Paul & Indica JonesFriday, May 25th 2007 @ Nectar412 N. 36th St., Seattle, WA 981039pm - 2am / $6 cover / 21+ with ID PRINCE vs MICHAEL party - Bendwith dj's Dave Paul & Indica JonesSaturday, May 26th 2007 @ The Grove1033 NW Bond Street, Bend, OR 977019:30pm - 2am / $5 cover / 21+ with IDPRINCE vs MICHAEL party - Portlandwith dj's Dave Paul & Indica JonesSunday, May 27th 2007 @ Berbati's Pan231 SW Ankeny Street, Portland, OR 972049pm - 2am / $5 cover / 21+ with ID for more info and to view photos from previous parties go tohttp://www.bombhiphop.com/PvsM.htmlOnce again Prince and associated artists go toe-to-toe against Michael and the Jackson family - this is the ultimate dance party! DJ's mix album cuts, remixes, rare tracks and classics from their extensive music collections to battle it out on the turntables. Concert footage and music videos from the Purple One and the King of Pop on the video screen all night long. "For four years now, Dave Paul (proprietor of local hip-hop label Bomb Records) has hosted and DJ'ed at the brilliant "Prince vs. Michael Jackson" parties. As selections of hits, rarities, and remixes from both artists are presented over the course of the evening, audience members square off in funky battle, holding signs bearing the mug of their favored entertainer to judge which one is the true king of pop. This sure ain't the place for cynics, but Darling Nikkis and Dirty Dianas are all welcome to participate." - SF WEEKLY

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Do you guys pay royalties to DJ Spinna or do you just franchise it out?

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Do you guys pay royalties to DJ Spinna or do you just franchise it out?

I thought he just did the Stevie parties?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Spinna was the dude who started doing Prince VS Michael Jackson (AKA "SOUL SLAM") parties back in the day, and I know that he's done them in San Francisco as recently as last July.

• Not saying they didn't lift the idea, but these dudes have been doing these things out here for a few years.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was always under the impression that this was a Spinna (and Bob) thing. I've been to the parties out here and they are amazing. I read about it happening elsewhere and assumed it was some sort of franchise.... but I guess dudes are just biting.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    the official real deal sally field Michael vs Prince jump-off [/b]

SUMMER SLAM*

SATURDAY JUNE 16th
    keistar productions in association with theculprits + massive selector present
    SOUL SLAM 2 : MICHAEL JACKSON VS. PRINCE
    starring DJ SPINNA (wonderwax, beyond real)
    @ mighty, 119 utah st, sf
    more info: massiveselector.com</B>

starring
    DJ SPINNA(wonderwax, beyond real)

along with
    HAKOBO | PROOF | KING MOST

Soul Slam returns to San Francisco in June! Keep it locked with theCulprits & massive selector for the biggest party of the summer...

• bombhiphopbombhiphop 104 Posts
    We both started our parties four years ago in 2002. Spinna did his first one in April of 2002. We started ours out here in San Francisco in Nov of 2002. I had no idea about his party. I wanted to do an all Prince party but there were already people out here in the Bay Area doing that (Dream Factory etc.) so Prince and Michael Jackson music was the obvious choice. There are a few other people around the US that also do P vs M parties. I think Spinna has done 19 parties now and we are up to 21 parties. I checked out Spinna the last night he was in SF doing his Soul Slam party. Even though we both play Prince, Michael and associated artists, our parties are very different. - D.P.