BLUE JAYS (on Map City Records)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody ever heard of these guys? One album that I know of, Nascence, from either '70 or '71. On the face of it, they appear to be another horn-rock group trying to be another Blood, Sweat & Tears (with the singer imitating David Clayton-Thomas). But the rhythm section is unnaturally funky (for this kind of music), to the point where you're thinking it's a black soul band. Until the vocals kick in.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Good funky rock band... don't know much about them. Never dug the record enough to hold onto. I sell it for $20-30. Sometimes people freak out because back when people gave a shit about Nas samples this was a record that people sweated. Seems to turn up in upstate new york a lot.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the song with the nas sampleispretty thorough.play outable
    blood sweat and tears is a good description...never made that connection

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I thought the psych guys who collect Black rock held this record in high esteem. Isn't there some fuzz guitar? Still like the man said about $30 sealed.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Good funky rock band... don't know much about them. Never dug the record enough to hold onto. I sell it for $20-30. Sometimes people freak out because back when people gave a shit about Nas samples this was a record that people sweated.

Something TOLD me...I just knew that if anybody knew anything, the first thing they'd say is that somebody sampled it! Yeah, I just scored this for $8 a month or two ago, and bought it after giving it a preliminary spin. The fact that it was on Map City for some reason piqued my curiosity. Who was on Map City? A few no-name rock and soul acts (like the incredible Purple Image) plus a series of astrology records...

Seems to turn up in upstate new york a lot.

A Providence, Rhode Island radio station is thanked in the credits, so I'm assuming they were from out that way. Thanks for the info, and if anyone knows anything else, I'm all ears...