Teachers terrorize 6th graders

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
"poor judgement?"? I would want to beat a teacher's ass if they did this to my kid.
Teachers stage fake gunman attack on sixth-graders[/b]MURFREESBORO, Tennessee (AP) -- Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip."We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged. "The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said."I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    "poor judgement?"? I would want to beat a teacher's ass if they did this to my kid.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    LOL.....everyone is so fucked up!!!!! they actually got together to plan this shit!!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    FUCK that. Sure, lets traumatize students for no good reason. What on earth could they have learned from this?

Whoever planned this shit should be fired and their teaching credentials should be revoked.

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    Whoever planned this shit should be fired and their teaching credentials should be revoked.

At the very least.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What on earth could they have learned from this?

Not to believe it next time something like this happens. How delightfully ironic.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think it's a brilliant idea. Fear Management is the future.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    FUCK that. Sure, lets traumatize students for no good reason. What on earth could they have learned from this?

I would be willing to bet that this sort of misadventure in teaching happens EVERY TIME there is one of these messed-up school shootings or even stuff like 9-11. Some teacher gets it in their head that they can somehow 'use' this as a teaching tool and ends up fired or seriously reprimanded for their idiocy.

You might want to just teach your students about these situations, seems like the safe bet.