Wedding help needed

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I really hate to ask this but...Yeah, a bloody wedding.My wifes best friend is getting hitched and my services were volunteered without my consent. grumblegrumble.Anyways, so i have all the usual suspects, the staples, but damn im a grumpy old fucker and theres gonna be youngins there wanting to hear sexyback and the like.I know some of you make your living at this, how about helping me out with some newer tracks that will save me from wedding hell.It would be truly appreciated, maybe i can return the MP3 favor and ill even name a pervert after you in my book.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My wifes best friend is getting hitched and my services were volunteered without my consent.

I hope you're at least getting paid some nice change. I've always turned down requests to DJ friends' wedding. My point: "I want to be there to celebrate your wedding...not work."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yeah, weak sauce indeed, but like i said, its my wifes BEST FRIEND.

Waht am i to do? im old enough and ugly enough to realise that this is not one that i can win.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    that becky thread from a few weeks back has all you need.. the exact thread name escapes me but there was a comprehensive list of becky approved tunes...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Really simple:

1. Get a meeting with the happy couple ASAP. Get a list of MUST-HEARs and a list of DO NOT PLAYs. Then comb your collection and start a thread here to ask for mp3s of anything you don't have.

2. Find out how formal or how casual the wedding is, plus how many people. Then start putting together a list of special songs, ie. Father/daughter dance, Couple's first dance, that kind of thing. Also find out how many 'slow songs' they want in general. A lot of couples don't think about this stuff til you ask them specifics, but then they start hitting you with LOADS of 'special requests'.

3. Find out what they expect as far as any announcements, etc and if they expect you to have a microphone. My advice, have a mic, preferably one with a loooong cord or wireless (toasts).

4. Get load-in/load out times well in advance for their venue to eliminate any problems and to save yourself time. Also make sure that if you don't do lighting and that kind of stuff, let them know in advance so they can hire someone if they need to, or just so they know in advance that you are music only.

Weddings don't have to be a major drag, but there are usually a couple of guests who may try your patience, and in my experiece playing Jimmy Buffett or the full length version of 'American Pie' are at least good for war stories.