ITS TIME TO SELL MY BLOOD........

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
SWEAT & TEARS RECORDS

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    David Clayton-Thomas is, to this day, probably the worst singer I ever heard fronting a multi-million selling rock group. And in this picture, he looks as bad as he sounds.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    David Clayton-Thomas is, to this day, probably the worst singer I ever heard fronting a multi-million selling rock group. And in this picture, he looks as bad as he sounds.

youre right theres something about the voc that i dont really dig much...

no clue whos who in the pic though ??

(exept for larry willis)

just wondering....these guys sold a whole lot of records?

what other hits did they have appart from spinning wheel?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    just wondering....these guys sold a whole lot of records?

what other hits did they have appart from spinning wheel?

I don't know the hits, but they were the front end of the whole jazz-rock/fusion thing and sold millions of records. They were huge. Gold charting hits and shit.

Personally I never was into them, although people inevitably compare what I listen to a lot to them, which kind of bugs me. I like my fusion more on the jazz end of things and sans corny vocals.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It was extremely amusing to me this morning reading that 'Motown Podcast' thread and seeing the littlest of little dudes in a frenzy trying to track down what (based on the tracklist) may be the one clunker on there: a BS&T ripoff

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

youre right theres something about the voc that i dont really dig much...

no clue whos who in the pic though ??

The guy in the tan leather strides, who looks like a younger hippie version of Ned Beatty, is David Clayton-Thomas.

They had a pretty big hit with "You Made Me So Very Happy" as well. There were a few more, but it's really that one and the o.g. version of "Spinning Wheel" that most folks know them for. There's a few tunes dotted across their albums which I like, but Clayton-Thomas' foghorn voice means I can only really fuck with their first album on a "sit down and actually listen to it" level.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Not only are Blood Sweat and Tears totally gross, but I cannot for the life of me understand why dudes collect covers of "Spinning Wheel". BEYOND TACKY.

Not only are Blood Sweat and Tears totally gross, but I cannot for the life of me understand why dudes collect covers of "Spinning Wheel". BEYOND TACKY.

im not really a spinning wheel fan either but theres beats on some of those cover versions

not spinning wheel related but i'll be holding on to this one