The History of Racism

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I was going to post this up in PhillyStress' thread, but I thought it would probably get get lost in there.This film is part of a BBC season of programmes to mark the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave trade in Britain.Featuring interviews with distinguished scholars from the US, the UK, Africa and the Caribbean, this film explores the development of racist ideas and practices in key institutions, including the major churches, and shows how the writings of some of Europe's greatest thinkers ??? including some of the giants of European philosophy, such as Aristotle and Immanuel Kant ??? influenced debates surrounding slavery, freedom, human rights and imperialism. The film also explores how racism was a powerful factor shaping the destiny of people all over the globe.

Its a very informative film, and it puts a more global perspective on the issue than is sometimes reflected here.The other parts can be found on youtube.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The funny thing is, your username spells "moke", which might mean something different for you, but... I just think it's funny, considering what this thread is about.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The funny thing is, your username spells "moke", which might mean something different for you, but... I just think it's funny, considering what this thread is about.

I didn't know what that meant, so I had to Wikipedia it . Whoever wrote that piece is, well, not a fan of Pacific Islanders.

The short version: Moke (slang) - a disparaging term for Pacific Islanders, especially Samoans[/b]

Some highlights of the Wikipedia entry:

"Recreation

Mokes primarily smoke pakalolo in their free time[/b], but they may also engage in one or more of the following recreational activities:

Surfing
    Bodyboarding
    Bodysurfing with McDonalds Tray[/b]
    Hawaiian Canoe Paddling
    Wearing tank tops[/b]
    Hunting wild boars
    Spearfishing
    Driving a Lifted Pickup[/b]
    Listening to Reggae/Jawaiian Music
    Playing an ?ukulele
    Stealing shoes/slippahs[/b]"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I didn't know what that meant, so I had to Wikipedia it . Whoever wrote that piece is, well, not a fan of Pacific Islanders.

The short version: Moke (slang) - a disparaging term for Pacific Islanders, especially Samoans[/b]

Some highlights of the Wikipedia entry:

"Recreation

Mokes primarily smoke pakalolo in their free time[/b], but they may also engage in one or more of the following recreational activities:

Surfing
    Bodyboarding
    Bodysurfing with McDonalds Tray[/b]
    Hawaiian Canoe Paddling
    Wearing tank tops[/b]
    Hunting wild boars
    Spearfishing
    Driving a Lifted Pickup[/b]
    Listening to Reggae/Jawaiian Music
    Playing an ?ukulele
    Stealing shoes/slippahs[/b]"

The sad thing about it, it is meant to describe a Hawaiian person for what he does, and specifically someone out in the country, as if a Hawaiian can't make it out of the country, not too sophisticated to live "in town". It's the equivalent of calling someone "country", "rural", or to be harsh, a "low class Hawaiian", as if they cannot or will not "step up with the Joneses". It is true that kids and adults bodysurfed with McDonald's trays, or when the Happy Meal first came out on trays that looked like fins, I've seen them used as swimming fins. Reason? They were free, the beach is a few yards away, put 2 and 3 together and you have 7, there you go.

I can laugh, because a lot of those stereotypes are true, BUT a lot of those things are commonplace, and just because someone is "high muckymuck" means they have to look down at us because they feel a bit more sophisticated?" One man's "local style" is another man's "moke", one man's means to keeping his culture alive is another man's way of saying he's slowing everyone down.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Featuring interviews with distinguished scholars from the US, the UK, Africa and the Caribbean, this film explores the development of racist ideas and practices in key institutions, including the major churches, and shows how the writings of some of Europe's greatest thinkers ??? including some of the giants of European philosophy, such as Aristotle and Immanuel Kant ??? influenced debates surrounding slavery, freedom, human rights and imperialism. The film also explores how racism was a powerful factor shaping the destiny of people all over the globe.

but was the one Professor Ras Kass consulted for this film?

• Have Caucasionas ever been discriminated in the past?

Im curious why people who were never beat up or called names for no reason,
    or were called names for the mere reason others didnt like their color or face.
    ,"do" get upset instantly when you say words like "whites"..
    Why is that?

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    anyone who is interested or hasn't heard of these volumes- check out

TO SERVE THE DEVIL by Jacobs, Paul and Saul Landau with Eve Pell

A Ethnic Studies professor hit me up on this back in undergrad days. I was able to cop both volumes, hardback. Because of its contents, its far out of print. But if anyone can get it, do so.

Because of its contents, its far out of print.

Cryptic. ?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Have Caucasionas ever been discriminated in the past?

Why is that?

In the last 10,000 years Caucasions have been submitted to all of the same atrocities that any other race has, although it was mostly based on their religion or ethnicity as opposed to strictly skin color.

I have no problem with someone saying...

"Honey, I'm doing the wash, do you have any whites[/b] that need cleaning"

I do have a problem with...

"Well you're one of those whites[/b] and they are responsible for every evil thing that's ever taken place on the face of the planet.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts

Why is that?

A coked-up booking agent of color once tried to get out of paying my band because "soul music belongs to his people, and I was stealing it"... even though my band is thoroughly mixed.

Anyway, I don't know anyone who has never been called names.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    anyone who is interested or hasn't heard of these volumes- check out

TO SERVE THE DEVIL by Jacobs, Paul and Saul Landau with Eve Pell

A Ethnic Studies professor hit me up on this back in undergrad days. I was able to cop both volumes, hardback. Because of its contents, its far out of print. But if anyone can get it, do so.

I applaud your gratuitous use of "hardback".

I copped both volumes--hardbody, son!

Why is that?

A coked-up booking agent of color once tried to get out of paying my band because "soul music belongs to his people, and I was stealing it"... even though my band is thoroughly mixed.

Anyway, I don't know anyone who has never been called names.

I don't think any derogatory names for white people exist.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Cryptic. ?

The conspiracy deepens--I see a concentrated effort by shadowy forces to devalue the contents of this book and price it at only one cent!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Hey John

Moke is just a bastardisation of my real name, from when I was a kid trying to write graf.

And being from England, a million miles from and other form of moke, it wasn't until years later, when I got on the internet, that I found out about the moke you're talking about.
    Although I got the impression it was a disparaging term, I didn't think it was a racist thing. Am I wrong?

There also this

my name has nothing to do with this either.

Cryptic. ?

The conspiracy deepens--I see a concentrated effort by shadowy forces to devalue the contents of this book and price it at only one cent!

So it begins, then. I always knew this day would come. Soon, we will not need a book to tell us what it's like to serve the devil....

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts

Cryptic. ?

Thanks for pointing out MY use of "hardback"- that's funny!

Also, I guess nothing is "out of print" since the invention of Amazon.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Why is that?

In the last 10,000 years Caucasions have been submitted to all of the same atrocities that any other race has,

It is amazing that you come up with these things. The truely amazing thing is it doesn't matter if someone were to point out how patently false this statement is. You would continue to argue that it was true. Then you would argue that it was your opinion and all opinion are equal. Then you would argue that people are driving anyone who doesn't think like them off the strut.

Why is that?

In the last 10,000 years Caucasions have been submitted to all of the same atrocities that any other race has,

It is amazing that you come up with these things. The truely amazing thing is it doesn't matter if someone were to point out how patently false this statement is. You would continue to argue that it was true. Then you would argue that it was your opinion and all opinion are equal. Then you would argue that people are driving anyone who doesn't think like them off the strut.

Thanks....I think you're amazing too.

No caucasions have ever been enslaved

No caucasions have ever been victims of genocide

No caucasions have ever been wiped out because of their religious beliefs.

No caucasions have ever been killed by disease, pestilance or natural disaster

No caucasions have ever been tortured

No caucasions have even been unduly imprisoned

Can you think of an atrocity I left out???

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Why is that?

I agree with all of the above.

Because there is no such thing as a "caucasion."

You are grasping at straws to be able to compete in some sort of "who's had it worst?" contest. But that says as much about white privilege as it does about anything else.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Why is that?

For once I think I agree with Rockadelic.

There are differences though. One being that mainly, it was Caucasions doing these things to other Caucasions. And it rarely existed on the mass scale of the likes of the holocaust or slavery. Although Stalin gave it a good go.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Rock, take that shit to StormFront.com

Why is that?

I forgot the sarcastic response. That argues that because Whites have been endentured servants it is equal to the African slave trade.

Next up. I didn't say it was equal. My next response, what's the difference between saying it is the same and saying it is equal. Ok, we skipped that one, whats next now?

[quote
    I forgot the sarcastic response. That argues that because Whites have been endentured servants it is equal to the African slave trade.

Next up. I didn't say it was equal. My next response, what's the difference between saying it is the same and saying it is equal. Ok, we skipped that one, whats next now?

I didn't say it was equal, Pre-American Slavery was WORSE in many ways ranging from 20% of the Roman Empire/Republic being slaves to the Ottoman empire castrating their male slaves, making sex slaves of their female slaves and their entire army was made up of Christian-Born slaves from the Balkans.

Next comes a couple of snide remarks from you....probably none of which are factual or disputing my original claim that white people have been victims of every atrocity known to man.

Possibly some claim that because it happened more than 400 years ago it's not as important, or that the aggressors themselves were also white marginalizing the victims.

I don't see any reason to get into a pissing match as to what tragedy was worse, just acknowledge that these atrocities are not unique to America, nor non-white victims.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    [quote

I didn't say it was equal, Pre-American Slavery was WORSE in many ways ranging from 20% of the Roman Empire/Republic being slaves to the Ottoman empire castrating their male slaves, making sex slaves of their female slaves and their entire army was made up of Christian-Born slaves from the Balkans.

Next comes a couple of snide remarks from you....probably none of which are factual or disputing my original claim that white people have been victims of every atrocity known to man.

Possibly some claim that because it happened more than 400 years ago it's not as important, or that the aggressors themselves were also white marginalizing the victims.

I don't see any reason to get into a pissing match as to what tragedy was worse, just acknowledge that these atrocities are not unique to America, nor non-white victims.

And Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just collateral damage[/b]?

Q: can white people be victims of collateral damage or is it always an atrocity when they are killed?

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

cracker
    honkey
    redneck
    white boy
    devil

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

cracker
    honkey
    redneck
    white boy
    devil

Ofay
    Mr. Charlie
    White Mule
    Runaway Clone
    Snowflake
    Wonder Bread
    Silver Spoons

[quote

I didn't say it was equal,

No you said it was "the same". See above and read your original quote.

If you want to say I mispoke, I was mistaken, I was wrong, nothing wrong with that I wont think you are less of a man. But please don't claim that you didn't say what you said.

Pre-American Slavery was WORSE in many ways ranging from 20% of the Roman Empire/Republic being slaves to the Ottoman empire castrating their male slaves, making sex slaves of their female slaves and their entire army was made up of Christian-Born slaves from the Balkans.

Thank God americans didn't use African slaves as sex slaves. African slave trade was far worse than Ottoman and Roman slavery. There was no concept of a race of slaves under those systems. Slaves could buy their freedom or marry out. Not something allowed in the American industrial agricultral form of slavery.

No your original claim was and I quote: "In the last 10,000 years Caucasions have been submitted to all of the same atrocities that any other race has". This claim suggest the same level of suffering. The Jews and the Africans have been subjected to far worse atrocities than Europeans.

If you would like to change your claim to "white people have been victims of every atrocity known to man but not on the scale or to the degree that they have inflicted on others", fine. I'll accept that. But since that is not what you claimed please don't say that it is.

Possibly some claim that because it happened more than 400 years ago it's not as important, or that the aggressors themselves were also white marginalizing the victims. I don't see any reason to get into a pissing match as to what tragedy was worse, just acknowledge that these atrocities are not unique to America, nor non-white victims.

Sorry, I will not admitt that the African slave trade or the Holucost is equal to Ottoman slavery or the French revolution. People who believe they are equal are known as racist. Not that I think you are.

cracker
    honkey
    redneck
    white boy
    devil

Ofay
    Mr. Charlie
    White Mule
    Runaway Clone
    Snowflake
    Wonder Bread
    Silver Spoons

Dolo Yeung

• KidKKidK 119 Posts
    Define "White People."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Define "White People."

Define:

Black/White/Red/Brown/Purple/& Yellow

RACE HAS NO GENETIC BASIS.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Define "White People."

I dunno but the Scots have a joke that goes:

Q: Why did the sun never set on the British Empire?
    A: Because God didn't trust em with the lights out.