Favourite Hancock album

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Herbie Hancock has crossed so many friggen genre's and has had so many friggen good albums. Sure he had some cheesy ish but the dude had some shit such as maiden voyage, fat albert rotunda, takin off, thrust and so on. So many fine turntabilists we see today would not be here unless Hancock never made "rockit". Seriously now, whats your favourite Herbie Hancock album?

Comments

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    it's somewhere in my avatar...

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts
    legendary dipshit. lol.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    THIS IS MADNESS!

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    SEXTANT

I can't find the words to describe how much I love that album. I don't think i'll ever get tired of it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    As a child

Now

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    Manchild or Sunlight

can i ask a serious question, whats the diff between mwandishi and fat albert rotunda? Is mwandishi live? I have just skimmed the needle through it at a record shop. And sunlight is it is one of the doods more looked over albums.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

I just lold

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    can i ask a serious question, whats the diff between mwandishi and fat albert rotunda? Is mwandishi live?

anyway, mwandishi, crossings & sextant are all equally good.
    but SEXTANT wins.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    THE PRISONER. I love this album.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts

Damn, beat me to it!

I'd have to nominate Man-Child.

I saw the man himself in concert last week; i wouldn't say but it was pretty damn good. Chick Corea came out and they dueled and jammed on watermelon man together for about 20 minutes - that was the highlight.

Time to drop my faves.

Sextant, Fat Albert Rotunda (first song I ever listened to that was jazzyfunk so its sentermento), speak like a child, maiden voyage and takin off (sentimento because watermellon man was my favourite song as a child). Herbie Hancock's music has really meant a lot to me

• cdrs88cdrs88 48 Posts

mainly because an ex girlfriend bought it for me and it surprised the hell out of me, I still to this day don't know why she did, but I love this album.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Thrust, The Prisoner or Speak Like A Child. The chords and arrangements are fantastic on the latter two, and the former is worth it for Mike Clark/Paul Jackson's rhythm work.

I was about 15 or 16 when I first heard of Herbie via Rockit, I had no idea how much work he had behind him at that point - he didn't look old enough to have been with Miles 20 years earlier.

Not massively keen on the later stuff, but his acoustic work is still cooking.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Right beneath HeadHunters.

I'd play Headhunters to a rookie Hancock listener and Deathwish to a seasoned one.

I sold this 3 year ago. I am really angry at that. I might need to pick it up again.

Favorite Peripheral Hancock Album........

Eddie Henderson - Realization

now thats what im talkin about.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Perhaps not my favorite (that would be Fat Albert) but this all improv classic is worth a mention:

Perhaps not my favorite (that would be Fat Albert) but this all improv classic is worth a mention:

I still need this.

Should I cop this on cd or would it sound "more organic" on vinyl?

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    For me, it's hard to JUST choose one, but I'd have to say Thrust.

After listening to Butterfly, I was floored.

There are many many close seconds with Herbie, but Butterfly is one of those songs that "make me all warm and fuzzy inside."

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    MAIDEN VOYAGE

honorable mentions: Speak Like A Child, Prisoner, Headhunters, Thrust, Sextant

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    maiden voyage, headhunters, empyrean isles.

I still need this.

Should I cop this on cd or would it sound "more organic" on vinyl?

I can't find my cd to compare, but I'm listening to the vinyl right now and it sounds like butta. Though, actually, I just noticed that my copy is on Applause Records. Was that some sort of reissue label? It doesn't look like a recent pressing ... maybe 80s? Anyone know anything about that label?

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    the APPLUASE one [with the white cover rather than yellow] is a definite reissue of the album from the 80's yes... but i've never bothered picking that version up, so i haven't been able to compare the sound quality on that to the original... this is a great album, so i'd definitely recommend picking up a copy... as far as CD or vinyl... just keep in mind that the actual Blue Note version on vinyl won't be cheap. that APPLAUSE version sells for like $5 though...

the APPLUASE one [with the white cover rather than yellow] is a definite reissue of the album from the 80's yes... but i've never bothered picking that version up, so i haven't been able to compare the sound quality on that to the original... this is a great album, so i'd definitely recommend picking up a copy... as far as CD or vinyl... just keep in mind that the actual Blue Note version on vinyl won't be cheap. that APPLAUSE version sells for like $5 though...

My Applause version is yellow ... but that is inconsequential of course. And, yes, it was exactly $5. The sound is good ... well worth the $5 anyway.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    FAT ALBERT ROTUNDA

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I dont mess w/Applause issues... I'll hold out even for a late-period BN reish... the couple Applauses that I've heard were like Pickwick quality