BANGKOK / PARIS / SOUTH OF FRANCE - PICS/MP3/INFO

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
** ALL DIGGIN' REALTED PICTURES HERE --- http://www.flickr.com/photos/djsheep/sets/72157600195897560/BANGKOK[/b]TOURIST PHOTOS HERE - http://flickr.com/photos/djsheep/sets/72157600195822672/MP3 #1 - http://download.yousendit.com/2E6D33B90F330C4CMP3 #2 - http://download.yousendit.com/08BDDE725B5F68A2I made it out to Bangkok after a 10 hour long plan ride. I was pretty exhausted and it was pretty hot (about 35 celsius). I managed to check out a gang of temples and of course, lots of record shops on my short 4 day stay in Thailand. Some brief complaints;1. Taxi's will not take you if they don't want to (about 70% of the time), other taxi's will make up a ridiculous price of about 500% more than usual. This became a bit of a pain in the ass after a while, as I was relying on Taxi's as my main form of transportation.2. People try to hustle you and sell you shit constantly, from silks, to jewels, to tours, to tuk-tuk rides - it gets a little old after a day. Can't trust anyone with a smile tryin' to be "friendly" out there, even the porter at the hotel called me up one morning, on his day off, asking me if I needed some tailor made clothes.I will only recommend two spots for records, I will translate the business cards as soon as possible. In the first store I went to, I managed to find a couple of Russian records (Melodiya Ensamble) and a Thailand "FUNK" discovery that had my jaw dropping, like *WHUT* (I will post a MP3 in this thread ASAP). Record prices were not too bad either about $3-$5 a piece. The second cool store was the infamous "DOG" store people have mentioned here before, that has a rabid dog running around barking and trying to attack you while you're diggin', I managed to come up on some of the better stuff on the Thai-A-Go-Go CDs as well as a bunch of Japanese and Bollywood stuff he had amongst the crates, dusty as shit, after a minute my hands were totally BLACK. I visited about 6 or 7 other stores, one of which I bought the Impossibles - Original Soundtrack LP from (VG- condition and about $20). Every other record store owner (except for the aforementioned two) was on some bullshit. The store I bought the Impossibles LP from was with another customer before me, laughing having a jolly old time, as soon as I walked up the counter, he stared at the floor and refused to talk to me. This ended up being quite frustrating as this same pattern happened at every record store after that, no matter how hard you tried to be cool they would just be off-standing and extremely stern in their demeanor, especially more-so if you asked for things like The Law, Johnny Guitar, Impossibles, etc. So after having this happen at 3 different stores, I decided to test and I pulled out the equivalent of $50 out my wallet and that mutherfucker started talkin' and diggin' out records quick (a lot of the stores don't have their stock on display, most of it is hidden away in the back rooms or on the shelves behind the counters). Anyhow, that is diggin' in the BKK. I got 2 really hot Thai records that I've never heard anything about and a small stack of other bits and pieces, overall was dope, but I recommend only visiting those 2 stores, and bringing a portable and listening to the Thailand shit cuz that's where the funk is.FRANCE[/b]TOURIST PHOTOS HERE - http://flickr.com/photos/djsheep/sets/72157600195704005/After Bangkok I headed out to Paris. 12 hours on the plane, jet-lagged as shit. This was my second trip to Paris, the first time I went, I managed to only see the Eifel Tower and that was it. This time I got to visit the Eiffel Tower again, L'Arc D' Triomphe, Serge Gainsbourg's grave, the Louvre, the Picasso Museum, the Catacombs, etc. A very rewarding trip sightseeing wise. I got ripped off on the exchange rate by American Express Bureau De Change, *DO NOT* change your money with AMEX at the Airport, I think I lost about $200 in fees on $1000. This time around I had a couple of strutters to meet up with - Tom Selecta (French Attack) and BAPT. Both those mutherfuckers are cool peoples and both came through on the trades; Tom bought out the French cover versions of the Incredible Bongo Band and this secret squirrel joint he had on his site. Very nice, and I got to visit the French Attack HQ which is stacked wall to wall with all the nasty raer french HEAT. I was meant to meet up with Tom to go to this Flea Market with 500 sellers, but I slept in too late.... sorry bro and thanks for the offer!Most of my other record business in Paris was done privately or at the markets. I managed to meet up with Victor Kiswell who is a cool guy with some very interesting records, we didn't manage to sort anything out on the trades (after hauling a suitcase of wax in the pouring rain, past the Moulin Rouge) but it was a pleasure to meet the dude and listen to a small portion of his extensive collection of European wax and get knowledge dropped.On Saturday, I met a dude called Karim who has a permanent stand at the Clingoncourt market (number 192, sat, sun and mon) and I traded with him. I ended up with an Italian pressing of the Stone Killer soundtrack and the Chute Libre record. Most of the heat is in his the record crates in the store, so just ask him. Forget the shop that is connecting to Karim's stall, it's pretty weak, as are the others in his building. In the other part of the Market (in the street, not in the building) there's a dude with white curly hair and glasses that has the business, tons of cheapies, 45s, heat on the wall, etc., definitely worth checking out. Got a Nino Ferrer record off him in a small trade we conducted on the fly.Trades are hard for the most part in Paris because people will ask you "how much". I would ask "how much do I sell it for" or "how much is it worth" or "how much should you sell it for in the store" or "how much for cash" or "how much trade value". I didn't really end up getting the way people work, but compared to other countries I've traded in, I had to fork over a lot more over to get anything back. People will generally sell for 200% popsike prices, and offer about 30% popsike prices in trade.THE DOPEST STORE IN PARIS IS --- CHEZ YOURI. YOURI gets the official stamp of approval. Hommie *LOOKED OUT* on the trade tip, was a cool guy to boot and probably has an insane collection on the shelf (if you are after bigger pieces, just ask him for a look). We did a trade, I ended up with a few librarys; London Trasport, Soul Impressions, the Capitol Library with that Prodigy shit and some other French thing, he even threw me 4 dope french 45s for free. Great stuff and the only shop I saw with anything decent and the stuff was priced decent. I went to Monster Melodies and a couple of other stores that were wack.Next up, BAPT, this mutherfucker showed me around Paris and took me to a lot of spots, like the markets, etc. We traded too and I ended up with a Melodiya Ensamble, Pookah and some French bits. I think we met up everyday and I got to peep his studio and hear some of his upcoming works, very nice! Also paid a brief visit to the 707 studios and got to chop it up with IZM who is on this board too, dude has a crazy studio and is working with a lot of US talent. Nice beats son!After 4 hectic days in Paris, I headed down south of France to Avignon, a nice little town which is reminiscent of Rome. The main tourist attraction here is the "Palace of Popes", where the Roman catholic papal system moved to for a decade or so. In the morning I asked the staff at the hotel if there were record stores, and there was one a few blocks away, so I took a stroll down there to find o
ut that it was a public holiday and the store was closed, however, the store owner was in there and I hollered at him from outside and he let me in for a 20 minute speedy-dig, I quickly ran through the jazz, rock, new arrivals, french and soundtracks sections. Managed to pull out a nice little stack for about 30 Euros including the Titanic, French hair OST, a Volker Kriegal on MPS, some French drums and an ill record BAPT showed me in Paris with tons of loops and sample shit. I am in Marseille for the next 3 days, then it's off to Nice and Cannes for the film festival festivities.I'm really worn out already, and I can't wait to get settled in Scotland, but it's been such a dope trip so-far, just hauling my personal belongings and crates of wax on the subway is exhausting. Just thought I would drop this update while it's still fresh in the head. Hope ya'll enjoy it and are good.peace.

Comments

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

What's the deal with this pic, it looks weird somehow?

Also, that pack of cigarettes is pretty disturbing haha

Anyway, great pics (as always), do you have an eye for these weird signs or are they just all over the place?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    great pics, thanks for the mp3s, crazy schitt.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    you still heading to moscow sheep?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    those tunes are fooolly siiiick brow!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Sheep.

ridiculous postage once again hommie.

Next time Amsterdam.

noice.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    you still heading to moscow sheep?

word, gunna be out there first week in June doing 12 DJ gigs out there... w3rd.

cheers for the propsssss....

peace.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Ayo Sheep, i think i found back the stash of vinyls you picked on my shelves...i can send some to you when you'll be settled in Scotland. Holla back bro. It was nice meeting you. And thanks for your compliments...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    After Bangkok I headed out to Paris. 12 hours on the plane, jet-lagged as shit. This was my second trip to Paris, the first time I went, I managed to only see the Eifel Tower and that was it. This time I got to visit the Eiffel Tower again, L'Arc D' Triomphe, Serge Gainsbourg's grave, the Louvre, the Picasso Museum, the Catacombs, etc. A very rewarding trip sightseeing wise. I got ripped off on the exchange rate by American Express Bureau De Change, *DO NOT* change your money with AMEX at the Airport, I think I lost about $200 in fees on $1000. This time around I had a couple of strutters to meet up with - Tom Selecta (French Attack) and BAPT. Both those mutherfuckers are cool peoples and both came through on the trades; Tom bought out the French cover versions of the Incredible Bongo Band and this secret squirrel joint he had on his site. Very nice, and I got to visit the French Attack HQ which is stacked wall to wall with all the nasty raer french HEAT. I was meant to meet up with Tom to go to this Flea Market with 500 sellers, but I slept in too late.... sorry bro and thanks for the offer!

Most of my other record business in Paris was done privately or at the markets. I managed to meet up with Victor Kiswell who is a cool guy with some very interesting records, we didn't manage to sort anything out on the trades (after hauling a suitcase of wax in the pouring rain, past the Moulin Rouge) but it was a pleasure to meet the dude and listen to a small portion of his extensive collection of European wax and get knowledge dropped.

On Saturday, I met a dude called Karim who has a permanent stand at the Clingoncourt market (number 192, sat, sun and mon) and I traded with him. I ended up with an Italian pressing of the Stone Killer soundtrack and the Chute Libre record. Most of the heat is in his the record crates in the store, so just ask him. Forget the shop that is connecting to Karim's stall, it's pretty weak, as are the others in his building. In the other part of the Market (in the street, not in the building) there's a dude with white curly hair and glasses that has the business, tons of cheapies, 45s, heat on the wall, etc., definitely worth checking out. Got a Nino Ferrer record off him in a small trade we conducted on the fly.

Trades are hard for the most part in Paris because people will ask you "how much". I would ask "how much do I sell it for" or "how much is it worth" or "how much should you sell it for in the store" or "how much for cash" or "how much trade value". I didn't really end up getting the way people work, but compared to other countries I've traded in, I had to fork over a lot more over to get anything back. People will generally sell for 200% popsike prices, and offer about 30% popsike prices in trade.

THE DOPEST STORE IN PARIS IS --- CHEZ YOURI. YOURI gets the official stamp of approval. Hommie *LOOKED OUT* on the trade tip, was a cool guy to boot and probably has an insane collection on the shelf (if you are after bigger pieces, just ask him for a look). We did a trade, I ended up with a few librarys; London Trasport, Soul Impressions, the Capitol Library with that Prodigy shit and some other French thing, he even threw me 4 dope french 45s for free. Great stuff and the only shop I saw with anything decent and the stuff was priced decent. I went to Monster Melodies and a couple of other stores that were wack.

Next up, BAPT, this mutherfucker showed me around Paris and took me to a lot of spots, like the markets, etc. We traded too and I ended up with a Melodiya Ensamble, Pookah and some French bits. I think we met up everyday and I got to peep his studio and hear some of his upcoming works, very nice! Also paid a brief visit to the 707 studios and got to chop it up with IZM who is on this board too, dude has a crazy studio and is working with a lot of US talent. Nice beats son!

After 4 hectic days in Paris, I headed down south of France to Avignon, a nice little town which is reminiscent of Rome. The main tourist attraction here is the "Palace of Popes", where the Roman catholic papal system moved to for a decade or so. In the morning I asked the staff at the hotel if there were record stores, and there was one a few blocks away, so I took a stroll down there to find out that it was a public holiday and the store was closed, however, the store owner was in there and I hollered at him from outside and he let me in for a 20 minute speedy-dig, I quickly ran through the jazz, rock, new arrivals, french and soundtracks sections. Managed to pull out a nice little stack for about 30 Euros including the Titanic, French hair OST, a Volker Kriegal on MPS, some French drums and an ill record BAPT showed me in Paris with tons of loops and sample shit. I am in Marseille for the next 3 days, then it's off to Nice and Cannes for the film festival festivities.

I'm really worn out already, and I can't wait to get settled in Scotland, but it's been such a dope trip so-far, just hauling my personal belongings and crates of wax on the subway is exhausting. Just thought I would drop this update while it's still fresh in the head. Hope ya'll enjoy it and are good.

peace.

Man I fucked up. I didn't go to ANY record spots. Probally for the best though since I would of had to carry that shit through a couple of countries.

Man I fucked up. I didn't go to ANY record spots. Probally for the best though since I would of had to carry that shit through a couple of countries.

Yeah, I have 3 suitcases with me and a backpack, 2 of the suitcases and the backpack are full of wax and shit for my move to Scotland.... It's WEAK. You made the right choice because I copped all the shit you woulda snapped up! You still out here man? Holla.

B

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Some brief complaints;

I love how this is how you set off your travel log!

forreal though I am jealous sounds like a good trip.

Some brief complaints;

Reading back now, it sounds a little sour, but it's the truth dun! For real, Bangkok is a really beautiful place tho... it's very seedy!!

peace.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    how's the sound burger workin out???

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Some brief complaints;

Reading back now, it sounds a little sour, but it's the truth dun! For real, Bangkok is a really beautiful place tho... it's very seedy!!

peace.

indeed it is (both seedy and beautiful).

got into some beef there one time with an old Euro tourist tryna take home some underage Thai prostitute.

how's the sound burger workin out???

OH! The new one is fine... except the RCA only has one channel (intermitent) and the headphone A only has one channel too!! hahahahah.... all gravy Georges

b

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

FRANCE[/b]

Most of my other record business in Paris was done privately or at the markets. I managed to meet up with Victor Kiswell who is a cool guy...

Clignancourt : In the other part of the Market (in the street, not in the building) there's a dude with white curly hair and glasses that has the business, tons of cheapies, 45s, heat on the wall, etc., definitely worth checking out. Got a Nino Ferrer record off him in a small trade we conducted on the fly.

His name is LE Y??TI.

THE DOPEST STORE IN PARIS IS ---> CHEZ YOURI

Next up, BAPT, this mutherfucker showed me around Paris and took me to a lot of spots, like the markets, etc. We traded too and I ended up with a Melodiya Ensamble, Pookah and some French bits. I think we met up everyday and I got to peep his studio and hear some of his upcoming works, very nice! Also paid a brief visit to the 707 studios and got to chop it up with IZM who is on this board too, dude has a crazy studio and is working with a lot of US talent. Nice beats son!

It was a pleasure B*v*n, you're the welcome when you want, holler.
    IZM got the beatss!!!!

After 4 hectic days in Paris, I headed down south of France to Avignon...
    Managed to pull out a nice little stack for about 30 Euros including the Titanic, French hair OST, a Volker Kriegal on MPS, some French drums and an ill record BAPT showed me in Paris with tons of loops and sample shit. I am in Marseille for the next 3 days, then it's off to Nice and Cannes for the film festival festivities.

Avignon is very nice.
    You should find some big records in Marseille.
    When you'll be in Cannes, ask Monica Bellucci to stop calling me, I'm to busy. Thanks.
    LOL

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    all gravy

very cool - last thing I want is ill-will with an OG homey!

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    Some brief complaints;

peace.

indeed it is (both seedy and beautiful).

got into some beef there one time with an old Euro tourist tryna take home some underage Thai prostitute.

underage by thai standards is like 6 or something.