Final Meal Request

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/08/workman.execution/index.html(CNN) -- Just hours from his execution by injection, Tennessee death row prisoner Philip Workman ordered his final meal Tuesday -- pizza for a homeless person.The 53-year-old requested a vegetarian pizza be delivered to a homeless person in Nashville, Workman's attorney confirmed.Riverbend Maximum Security Institution will not deliver the pizza, said Riverbend spokeswoman Dorinda Carter. "We can get some special things for the inmate but the taxpayers don't really give us permission to donate to charity."According to the state's protocol, a last meal's cost cannot exceed $20.Workman is scheduled to die at 1 a.m. (2 a.m. ET) Wednesday.Carter said Workman was meeting with a spiritual adviser Tuesday evening and he has also spoken in person with his brother.Although Tennessee law gave him the option to choose between the electric chair and lethal injection, the 53-year-old refused to make that choice."I'm not going to play no killing game," he told CNN in an exclusive interview last month.Last-minute appealsWorkman was convicted in 1982 of shooting and killing Memphis Police Lt. Ronald Oliver during a botched 1981 robbery of a Wendy's restaurant in Memphis, Tennessee. (Read about Workman's case)His defense says that new ballistics evidence suggests Oliver died from friendly fire at the robbery scene.They also point to the recanted statements of a key eyewitness who now says he lied when he testified at Workman's trial that he saw Workman shoot Oliver.A flurry of appeals have been filled in the past few days as Workman's lawyers and Tennessee prosecutors battled over the convict's fate. (Read about the last-minute appeals)Workman's last and only appeal now rests with the U.S. Supreme Court, on the basis that the state's newly instituted set of lethal injection procedures are not sufficient to ensure that Workman's death will be peaceful and painless.Kelley Henry, Workman's primary attorney, said late Tuesday that she is not optimistic the appeal will save her client.'Deficiencies' in lethal injection proceduresSaying there were "deficiencies" in Tennessee's lethal injection instruction manual, Gov. Phil Bredesen rescinded it in February and gave the state's commissioner of correction 90 days to write a new one.On April 30, the state issued a new set of lethal injection procedures, but the "cocktail" of lethal drugs remained unchanged.A study published in April by the Public Library of Science -- a nonprofit organization of scientists and doctors -- found the three-drug lethal injection protocol probably left prisoners subject to immense pain before they died.Even the creator of the cocktail told CNN he feels that it should be reexamined as a method of execution. (Read about Dr. Jay Chapman reconsidering the execution method he created)In his talk with CNN, Workman said he feared what lethal injection might feel like. (Watch what Workman thinks about his execution method )"It almost makes me want to choose the electric chair," Workman said."They are saying in this report that a lot [of prisoners] have suffered, they wouldn't be able to speak. You can't move to say anything. You're frozen."

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

The 53-year-old requested a vegetarian pizza be delivered to a homeless person in Nashville, Workman's attorney confirmed.

how's this work? the delivery guy just drives around until he sees a bum sleeping on the street?

sir, its your lucky day, here is a vegeterain pizza - care of a death row inmate. enjoy.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    This is slight hi-jack but on topic...I cant seem to find it, but the Texas department fo corrections had a website that listed all executed prisoners' last meal requests...the one that stuck out to me was a dude obviously wanting them to have a BIG mess to clean up after his bowels gave way after the switch was thrown...all dude had was 2 dozen scrambled eggs and a pot of coffee. Whoa.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    This is slight hi-jack but on topic...I cant seem to find it, but the Texas department fo corrections had a website that listed all executed prisoners' last meal requests...the one that stuck out to me was a dude obviously wanting them to have a BIG mess to clean up after his bowels gave way after the switch was thrown...all dude had was 2 dozen scrambled eggs and a pot of coffee. Whoa.

Spite, Its whats for dinner.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I would request fried chicken. no question.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i'd request a box of mentos and a 3 liter bottle of soda and swallow it all to see if i could blow myself up before they strap me down.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Spite, Its whats for dinner.

Seriously. I'd order a heaping plate of "I hope my death haunts your conscience 'til the day you die," washed down with a frosty glass of "go fuck yourself."

Yup. I would be mad, doggie.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The 53-year-old requested a vegetarian pizza be delivered to a homeless person in Nashville, Workman's attorney confirmed.

how's this work? the delivery guy just drives around until he sees a bum sleeping on the street?

sir, its your lucky day, here is a vegeterain pizza - care of a death row inmate. enjoy.

Why not?

Delivery guy could just walk around to the dumpster. Homless people are not hard to find. It could also be delivered to any homeless shelter or soup kitchen. Have you never handed food to a homeless person?

Well, I heard the warden said.
    I had one more day.
    One last meal before they carried me away.

He said if we don't got it.
    We'll go out an' get it.
    Because you don't have to go.
    Til we get back with it.
    So I said, 'Hmmm'.

A-bring me two dinosaur eggs over easy.
    Fried in the butter an' not too greasy.
    Musquito knees and black-eyed peas.
    An' a little small dish of buttered bee-balm beans
    I want-a zebra tooth, a tiger steak
    An whole hippopotamus, well baked.

Now go, get my dinner, go.
    Get my dinner.
    You ain't got it, go out an get it.
    'Cause I ain't goin', til ya get back with it.

Now bring me a cup of crocodile tears.
    Purple watermellon an some alligator ears.
    An bring me two cross-eyed cat fish.
    An some wavy gravy in a left-hand dish.

Now bring me a order of rattlesnake hips.
    The split of his tongue bring me both of his lips.
    Now ya have my order so serve my dish.
    With a female banana I just can't resist.

Now go, get my dinner, go.
    Get my dinner.
    You ain't got it, go out an get it.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

According to the state's protocol, a last meal's cost cannot exceed $20.

According to the state's protocol, a last meal's cost cannot exceed $20.

Ain't that some shit. You can have whatever you want for your last meal as long as it's from the value meal menu.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Why not?

Delivery guy could just walk around to the dumpster. Homless people are not hard to find. It could also be delivered to any homeless shelter or soup kitchen. Have you never handed food to a homeless person?

I had a left over slice of pizza a few days ago I wanted to give to a homeless person. For the life of me I couldn't find one that night. It was late. I left it on the corner of the street in tinfoil. Hope someone enjoyed it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Why not?

I had a left over slice of pizza a few days ago I wanted to give to a homeless person. For the life of me I couldn't find one that night. It was late. I left it on the corner of the street in tinfoil. Hope someone enjoyed it.

Between not knowing who E-40 is and claiming an inability to find homeless people I am beginning to believe you do not actually live in San Francisco.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I've noticed that some homeless people will willingly accept money donations, but they'll turn down a piece of food, flat out. Don't ask me why, but I've witnessed this happen.

Why not?

I've actually had homeless people refuse to take food from me after asking for money to buy food. Disheartening to say the least, but who knows what they were thinking? The obvious assumption would be that they were looking for money to buy booze/drugs, but it could just be a trust issue.

That said, the overwhelming majority of homeless people I've offered food to take it gladly.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I had one more day.

Funny, I started to quote this song when I got home, but Wolf beat me to it. (It's "My Last Meal," recorded by both Jimmy Rogers and a Little Richard-ish shouter on OKeh named Hurricane Harry.) That said, I'd probably reprint David Allan Coe's similar "Death Row," 'cept the wordy lyrics would take longer to type than it would to read.

• HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts

I've noticed that some homeless people will willingly accept money donations, but they'll turn down a piece of food, flat out. Don't ask me why, but I've witnessed this happen.

some homeless people will turn down a place to sleep at. most homeless people in germany are being offered permanent homes. some even turn down that.

• HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts
    if i had been a warder at that prison, i would have personally paid for that pizza.

why does america still have a death penalty anyway? it really bugs me. final meal? i think i need to throw up!

if i had been a warder at that prison, i would have personally paid for that pizza.

why does america still have a death penalty anyway? it really bugs me. final meal? i think i need to throw up!

Only certain states have the death penalty. And it bothers a lot of us, too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Texas Last Meal website was apparently ordered to stop posting Last Meal requests.

Mine would be a bottomless cup of coffee.

I'm really touched by a convicted cop killer offering to buy a pizza for a homeless guy with the states money.

Why not?

I've actually had homeless people refuse to take food from me after asking for money to buy food. Disheartening to say the least, but who knows what they were thinking? The obvious assumption would be that they were looking for money to buy booze/drugs, but it could just be a trust issue.

That said, the overwhelming majority of homeless people I've offered food to take it gladly.

A lot of homeless people will turn down a half eaten day old sandwich. Most wont turn down something good to eat.

A lot of panhandlers are either looking to cop drugs as you suggest. Others are bringing in the $$$ and can be choosy.

When I used to deliver meals on wheels if we had a leftover meal we would take it downtown and give it to the first homeless guy. Always apprecitive of a complete hot meal.

I'm really touched by a convicted cop killer offering to buy a pizza for a homeless guy with the states money.

Where does it touch you, specifically? Was it a "bad touch"?

I had one more day.

Funny, I started to quote this song when I got home, but Wolf beat me to it. (It's "My Last Meal," recorded by both Jimmy Rogers and a Little Richard-ish shouter on OKeh named Hurricane Harry.) That said, I'd probably reprint David Allan Coe's similar "Death Row," 'cept the wordy lyrics would take longer to type than it would to read.

Ah type??? I just did a lyric search and cut and paste.

I know the song from the Ann Arbor Blues Fest record. Double lp with Sun Ra and Dr John and other good stuff. I think Sister Sarah Brown sang it. I think she is an in demand Austin TX bassist today. All the lyric search results gave Little Charlie and The Night(?)Cats credit. Good to know the true roots.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

some homeless people will turn down a place to sleep at. most homeless people in germany are being offered permanent homes. some even turn down that.

This aint Germany and no one is offering them homes.

Accept a few pilot projects where they are finding that people with homes are less of a cost to the state than people living on the streets.

Hey Philly folks, are starting to implement this?

why does america still have a death penalty anyway?

A lot of homeless people will turn down a half eaten day old sandwich. Most wont turn down something good to eat.

no actually most* homeless people are fucking junkies and dont even look to see what food you are trying to give them. as a result i now talk shit to bums asking me for money while im holding a togo box.

*that ive encountered in sf

I had to google "togo box"