New York, what it dew? May 15 - June 3

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm going to New York for the first time for my cousin's graduation from Parson's and decided to stay a bit longer. I'm already going to the Devin the Dude and Beanie Sigel shows and am looking for more shit to do. I'm staying at my homegirl's place in the city. I ain't really into sightseeing but whatever is really really recommended I'm down to check out. I definitely want to check out some of ya'll DJing and am going to check out the Rub. Checking out food joints is definitely a priority and I will more than likely become a rotund asshole after all this.So basically what I'm looking for is:anymore rap showsgood DJsmixtape spotsfood jointsanything coolNot really that descriptive but I'm sure there's a lot of shit going on this month. Thanks!

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    welcome to nyc. bring me something hawaiin.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Devin the Dude Bavu Blakes Grit Boys Surreal DJ Kutz Gator DJ Rapid Ric!
    Live In NYC Friday May 18th
    @ The Knitting Factory
    74 Leonard Street, New York, New York 10013
    Cost : 15

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Devin the Dude Bavu Blakes Grit Boys Surreal DJ Kutz Gator DJ Rapid Ric!
    Live In NYC Friday May 18th
    @ The Knitting Factory
    74 Leonard Street, New York, New York 10013
    Cost : 15

You do realize that Brian Da Hawaiian has had his Devin tickets for two months, right?

Brian, I would recommend walkin' around and trippin' out on how everybody talks. 'Cause they talk funny out there.

And be sure to casually mention to everyone that you're visiting from Hawaii. Then, when you go to pay for something, say, "Oh shoots...do you accept Hawaiian money?" I guarantee you that 2 out of 3 people will tell you that they do not.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    And be sure to casually mention to everyone that you're visiting from Hawaii. Then, when you go to pay for something, say, "Oh shoots...do you accept Hawaiian money?" I guarantee you that 2 out of 3 people will tell you that they do not.

YES! do this while pulling seashells out of a little satchell.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah dudes i already have tickets for devin and according to mattsoreal devin is also playing in hawaii next month which is awesome. i would have gone if it was just devin obviously but grit boys, bavu blakes, and rapid ric? yezzzir

i am not looking forward to the "lol do you live in a hut" shit but i'm sure i'll deal with it. i don't think anyone is going to understand me if i turn into a drunken moke though.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    crunk karaoke with me and Rape_Donkeys. True story.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah?
    im scared to go to your store cos i dont know shit about records

how bad is this woodberry commons mall? my family is going there before they leave and asked if i wanted to go.

i'm probably going to be free for whatever from like the 23rd so if anyone wants to link up on some shit holla

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    peter lugars in williamsburg
    katz deli
    sobaya noodle house(get the soba beer!!!!)
    grimaldis in dumbo

there was another thread about nyc eats. you might have to search for it though

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I already told you this, but:

May 19th - Rakim, Real Live Show, Cosmo Baker & DJ Soul @ Southpaw
    May 22nd - Beanie Sigel, Cosmo Baker & Special guests @ Knitting Factory

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i would definitely try to set some time aside to check out museums and such...not necessarily the Met, Guggenhim, Moma (cuz them shits can be mad expensive) but some of the other spots too.

The MOMA is free on Friday evenings (after 4pm i believe), and if for nothing else you can see some 'big name' shit that can impress arty girls back in Hawaii.

The Whitney Museum is having a cool exhibit during that time:
    Summer of Love: Art of the Psychedelic Era[/b]

on view May 24, 2007-September 16, 2007
    Summer 2007 revisits the unprecedented explosion of contemporary art and popular culture brought about by the civil unrest and pervasive social change of the 1960s and early '70s, when a new psychedelic aesthetic emerged in art, music, film, architecture, graphic design, and fashion. The exhibition includes paintings, photographs and sculptures by Isaac Abrams, Richard Avedon, Lynda Benglis, Richard Hamilton, Elliott Landy, Jimi Hendrix (his only known watercolor), Robert Indiana, Yayoi Kusama, Richard Lindner, and John McCracken, among others, as well as a rich selection of important posters, album covers[/b] and underground magazines. A special emphasis is placed on environments as well as on film, video and multimedia installations, including works by Jordan Belson, USCO, Stan VanDerBeek, James Whitney, and Lamonte Young and Marian Zazeela.

if anything...you may be able to impress hcrink with some knowledge jewels about psyche art.

also....the Deitch gallary (and various other soho spots) tend to have pretty cool shit.

other than that....save up money for buying a lot of cool (expensive) clothes and such.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    damn, i need to get out to New York. I got the travel bug real crazy right now and actually if the Europe thing didn't pop-off I was going to New York.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yeah?

im scared to go to your store cos i dont know shit about records

how bad is this woodberry commons mall? my family is going there before they leave and asked if i wanted to go.

i'm probably going to be free for whatever from like the 23rd so if anyone wants to link up on some shit holla

Woodbury is cool.. You'll find some shit.

You don't have to either know about records or want to buy them to stop in and say hi, although we could just as easily go have some beers or whatever. In the words of my favorite flea market dealer, "I like to drink"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah, i'm just being dumb. i'll definitely stop by to check out the spot. i haven't even bought any records in like at least eight months so that would be a good place to break that

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Hm... if you don't have anything better to do on Sat. June 2nd, I'll be spinning some records at APT's Bumpshop that night.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

Is this going to become a regular occurance?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    thanks for all the suggestions. i think i might have to hit up some touristy spots to kill time so if anyone has any suggestions on that tip that would be cool. i can't wait to get off the island. if anyone wants anything specific from hawaii, pm me and i'll try my best to hook it up

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    devin the dude show last night straight killed it. i never heard surreal before but she fucking ripped it. grit boys were dope and bavu blakes was incredible. devin backed up with dj mattsoreal was great of course. im out to go shopping and going to hit up that remix hotel shit later on.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone got any recommendations for music equipment sites? as much as i dont want to go, is hitting up guitar center the best bet as far as prices go?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Go to B&H: bhphotovideo.com

No guitars, but plenty of pro gear.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bavu blakes was incredible.

I'm glad to see that as your conclusion.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Whitney Museum is having a cool exhibit during that time:
    Summer of Love: Art of the Psychedelic Era[/b]

Woodbury is cool.. You'll find some shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    just got home yesterday and i'm still adjusting to shit. i'm already missing pizza and my ass wants to go back to peter luger already but i think i'll manage.

big shoutout to everyone i met and showed me some love, way too many people to list. if i acted fucked up to anyone, i apologize and it's more than likely attributed to me being sick half the trip or being drunk out of my mind. it's really inspirational to see everyone doing it big up there and hopefully i will get off my ass and work on some shit.