Phat Kat (best hip-hop record of 2007 related)

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Yeah, that just happened. Been listening to the promo of this for a minute, but apparently this drops today? (I'm mad disconnected from real world release dates). Seriously though, this record is absolute fire, Cold Steel is out of this world one of the illest beats I've heard in a long time. And I say this as someone who isn't usually impressed by "that" Detroit sound.I want an instrumentals LP, is there a promo out there of this?

Comments

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    It is on iTunes, I copped it last week, it has been on repeat, def. better than Undeniable IMO, the Black Milk joints are and of course the Dilla joints are too, there is a couple of SICK Ummah type beats for like 20 seconds at the end of a couple of tracks... Guiltys verse on "Major Label Nightmare" is crazy!
    "Imma artist my man, I'll paint ya town rrrrrayed (Detroit pronounciation of "red")"
    Highly recommended! Oh yeah I guess the wax is pushed wayyyyy back
    Peace
    Zeb

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Oh yeah I guess the wax is pushed wayyyyy back

i've heard it'll be later this month.. alotta of indie releases are getting bumped for some reason, possibly to coincide with college kids copping after school's out? i know kat's tour starts soon, maybe that's it..

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

i've heard it'll be later this month.. alotta of indie releases are getting bumped for some reason, possibly to coincide with college kids copping after school's out? i know kat's tour starts soon, maybe that's it..

College kids are buying vinyl? Really? Not at my school...

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    haven't heard the rest, but Cold Steel is

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I'm pretty sure but not positive all the vinyl delays stem from an increase in demand for vinyl + one of the bigger pressing plants burned down last year. Lots of delays all over the board including some pretty big releases.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I'm pretty sure but not positive all the vinyl delays stem from an increase in demand for vinyl + one of the bigger pressing plants burned down last year. Lots of delays all over the board including some pretty big releases.

yeah i heard that too, although in my version the vinyl plant shut down voluntarily.. many fat beats releases got bumped as a result.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    lol @ this thread title

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    lol @ this thread title

to each his own, brother.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    lol @ this thread title

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    lol @ this thread title

I want to hear your favorite album of 07.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

yeah i heard that too, although in my version the vinyl plant shut down voluntarily.. many fat beats releases got bumped as a result.

Interesting... I'm pretty sure it was the same one. That might make sense since the distro that told me it burned down is also the distro that apparently has fired it's sales staff but hasn't really indicated to anyone they are having any problems.

• thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
    I always thought his Dedication To The Suckers 12" is on freakin' and did not get any attention til Jay Dee passed (or at least cats I knew were not talking about it til fools started to look up Dilla's discography).

Anyways, I like Cash Em Out and Cold Steel so far. I wanna give it a complete listen before any total opinion.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    damn, the whole detroit posse rolling on me! chill out, i just found the thread title funny considering the year aint even halfway over and i've been less than impressed by the previous stuff i've heard by phat kat

...i've been less than impressed by the previous stuff i've heard by phat kat

I agree, but you didn't like his Dedication 12"? I thought it was refreshing for the time period, and actually it still is.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I agree, but you didn't like his Dedication 12"? I thought it was refreshing for the time period, and actually it still is.

It's boring.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

definitely a good 12inch.. and cosine about him not getting props until dilla passed.. they made a good duo. as for 'carte blanche,' "nasty ain't it" is in heavy rotation over here.

It's boring.

Phat Kat, himself, or his Dedication 12"

It's boring.

Phat Kat, himself, or his Dedication 12"

"Dedication" is the only thing I've ever heard by him.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    "Nasty aint its" is a J-Dilla jewel. Breaks crispy like corn flakes, synth infectious like a virus. This dude was a King next to Paul C and 'em.
    "My Old Label" is
    "Cold Steel" is the beat of the Year. Dilla Dilla y'all.
    "Danger" and "Cash 'em Out" by Blackmilk is nice but so Dilla that i dunno if i have to respect or hate it. I guess i'm gonna choose to love.
    "Game time" is a funny track for such people like me who had that track on a dilla beat cd. Old as fuck. But i always liked the Olympic Runners inspiration and the Kyoto chops. So sweet to my hear in 2007.

Some producers on it are just average (Young RJ and Nick Speed) but overall, the LP is well produced and very pleasant to bump. Kinda of Tribe-Called-Questish...

Breaks crispy like corn flakes, synth infectious like a virus.

A metaphorical buttkick straight to the one Brian's posterior.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

" [color:#666666] 14- Phat Kat - Don't Nobody Care About Us (prod. by J Dilla) [/color] " is a funny track for such people like me who had that track on a dilla beat cd...

I agree with IZM, "Nasty Ain't Its" is a jewel.

"Danger" is my ish.

Good album.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

ah isn't that sweet? faux found a new friend to e-stalk..

Naw, this is internal affairs related...Brian had a bad day.

Seriously, this LP is solid. Even the rapper(s). There's some questionnable moments, but he deserves some props.

ah isn't that sweet? faux found a new friend to e-stalk..

Izm and I are longtime admirers of one another's work.

And i'm working on my metaphors. I need to speak better english. Faux'reel!

Faux has always been a model for me. His hateration helped me a lot. And i'm serious. He's the reason why the forum didn't went down. He's the voice of the reason.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    He's the voice of the reason.

and in french 'voice of reason' means??

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Really amazing album.

i didnt it was a french concept...

it's an expression to design the "inside voices in your head that talks to you"...lol. I hope you understand that childish description. "hearing the voice of the reason" is the full expression and it means that you relativise events and siutations and ponder enough to be perceived as wise. When you want to kill your neighboor because he makes too much noise on Sunday morning, you don't do it because you are "hearing the voice of the reason", meaning there's an inside voice telling you not to kill dude. That's what it means.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

"hearing the voice of the reason"

it sounds like the title of a song by Vanilla Fudge

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    You don't like rap