Who here gets down with gentle stuff?

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I know some mainstay posters like crink, parsec, AP, latency etc get down with gentle stuff.But I see some new people on this board and I want to know if they can get behind gentle stuff.I want to know what is gentle in the jazz realm. I have Abdul Wadud "By Myself" and to me that is loner jazz.Latency sent me chewed up Kit Ream and it is rocking my world. Bruce Cockburn's first album is on hit.

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Pozo Seco for days around here. Also Smokey's "The Quiet Storm"

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Fuck that shit elise I am being serious.

I wake up and eat Red River while listening to Roger Rodier pour out his soul. Bruce Cockburn's first record is a gentle masterpiece. You can post those stupid teddy bears and be sarcastic but gentle shit is the real. You can't handle the real because you're too busy hitting refresh on facebook and soulstrut waiting for PMs. I've been there. You need some gentle.

Pozo Seco for days around here. Also Smokey's "The Quiet Storm"
    R&B can be very gentle.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Fuck that shit elise I am being serious.

I wake up and eat Red River while listening to Roger Rodier pour out his soul. Bruce Cockburn's first record is a gentle masterpiece. You can post those stupid teddy bears and be sarcastic but gentle shit is the real. You can't handle the real because you're too busy hitting refresh on facebook and soulstrut waiting for PMs. I've been there. You need some gentle.

Oh snap. I was just kidding.

I can get into some Paul Ortiz "tender love". (Thank you Rey)

Calm down.

I can't calm down. I just found all the Nick Drakes. I am depressed as fuck right now.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I can't calm down. I just found all the Nick Drakes. I am depressed as fuck right now.
    On a related note, I really like jose gonzalez's heartbeat.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Charles Brown does it for me when it comes to gentle stuff.

what is Charles Brown?

Does he have swooshing nature sounds in the background?

Does he have swooshing nature sounds in the background?

forest jazz!

Gordon Lightfoot.

sorry, i know youre looking for gentle Jazz. all my gentle flashes are currently singer songwriter, or smokey robinson.

I am not looking for anything. I am curious what these newbie dudes are repping in regards to gentle.

I'm not a big fan of Lightfoot. Perhaps I should give him more of a chance. I never liked Bruce Cockburn until I found his first LP. This LP is on hit. It has swooshing nature sounds. It has gentle singing. Solo accoustic. Rep.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Gordon Lightfoot is mostly terrible.

but this one song "Beautiful" kills me every time.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    Bruce Cockburn

his album "humans" is unfuchwithable

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    gentle? hell yeah, i love the else bianchi trio - the sweetest sounds on saba. gentle all the way.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I can see, from the random names dropped in this thread, that this would-be genre called "gentle" ain't too well-defined yet.

Pozo Seco for days around here.

"I Can Make It With You," by the Pozo-Seco Singers, is a lost folk-rock classic and I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned in Turn! Turn! Turn!, Richie Unterberger's folk-rock history. (I'll let somebody else defend their "gentility!")

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I want to know what is gentle in the jazz realm.

Eric Dolphy's "Glad to Be Unhappy" is as gentle as Arundhati Roy's great grandmother. The most beautiful of his flute pieces, in my opinion. Those long, lyrical notes he sustains and then breaks up with brisk scales makes me think the playing of this particular song was done from inside that lump on his head.

Last year's Sibylle Baier record stands as the embodiment of what everyone can agree on as gentle. I wish they wouldn't have pressed the record in the Czech Republic because all the peaks are crispy (see most everything on the ANTI- label). Bummer.

I can see, from the random names dropped in this thread, that this would-be genre called "gentle" ain't too well-defined yet.

During this, the Decade of Dead Dynamics, I find subtle temperment in things that probably wouldn't be stamped Approved By The Gentle Department, but the remaining music that doesn't fall victim to Normalize Everything Syndrome (NES) is a welcome waft of soft severity. That is, to be able to be loud and quiet rather than being loudly quiet. Most of these Winehouse types want to get that Fuck Me Pumps point across so bad they forgo subtlety. "What if we keep this quiet part here, but just make it really loud?" It's called "spectrum" for a reason. To that end, give me an involuntary gyrating, hip swaying, mouth agaping, simulated grape stomping performance that has equal parts gentle and not so gentle, because it has more effect than something that's supposed to be quiet but really isn't. Plus, she doesn't just repeat the same performance the same way each time. I know it could be argued, but this is stored in my "Gentle" section.

File Under: Dare to Be Dynamic

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• Mr. Canonical, if you like Nick Drake's music, you owe it to yourself to find some Fairport Convention. Their guitarist, Richard Thompson, is considered one of the most influential of the British guitarists.

Their music sounds very British, however, so that could be a turnoff.

I suppose you could start with a compilation.

• I haven't seen this mentioned in some time, either.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Teruo Nakamura's Rising Sun is gentle, I think.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Get your Sunday morning on right here. Bill Evans "Peace Piece" from Everybody Digs Bill Evans.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm fucking with some Satie right now my dude, which is most definitelt gentile. Especially considering I am still incredibly drunk after waking up, and I need to go DJ for some children in a few...

But yeah, this right here on that real GENTLE shit.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Mr. Canonical, if you like Nick Drake's music, you owe it to yourself to find some Fairport Convention. Their guitarist, Richard Thompson, is considered one of the most influential of the British guitarists.

Their music sounds very British, however, so that could be a turnoff.

I suppose you could start with a compilation.

I'[ve been listening to Fairport lately, but have been more into the solo Sandy Denny stuff, good call A****.

• these dudes is all very gentle. Some real 'lets cuddle' type of brothers.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i feel so blue and shitty, i wish i could just listen to soft rock and aor all day, but i gotta go do ten hours at the club.

not in the mood....

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Gordon Lightfoot is mostly terrible.

but this one song "Beautiful" kills me every time.

thats my parents wedding song. Its a wonderful tune