Betty Wright

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
so I've been rocking this Moxie edit of "Where Is The Love" and I need more of Ms. Wright in my life. I know this track is off the Danger-High Voltage LP (only 1 copy on ebay for $60) but wondering what are some good recommendations, how hard to find, pricing, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i love the album "my first time around" which has an incredible track called "girls cant do what the guys do". you can find that track on 45 as well, i don't think either of those 2 should run you more than 30 dollars unless i'm underestimating the lp's value.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yup, "My First Time Around" is a great solid album, love that one. I'd say get "I Love the Way You Love" that has "clean up woman" on there and is a super solid record imo, also its been reished. High Voltage is a good one too. You can get these for under $20 or $25 usually on ebay as everybody sweats the Lovelites and Marie Queenie Lyons and whatnot and totally sleeps on Betty...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "First Time Around" on Atco is great, but seems to only turn
    up rinked for whatever reason - for me, at least.
    The Love the Way You Love LP, which has "Clean-Up Woman"
    on it, is definitely one of her strongest, although her first
    5 or 6 LP's for Alston are all pretty solid, and I've never
    paid more than $10 for any of them, although I do see them
    sell at $20 or so sometimes, never really more than that.

I could swear that I read somewhere that she had huge success
    in Central or South America after her first hit, releasing a few
    singles sung in Spanish, even hosting her own television show ...
    I can't find any reference to it now, but I've always wanted to
    find a copy of this LP, which definitely supports the claim somewhat:

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    Shoorah Shoorah
    Let Me Be Your Lovemaker
    Babysitter
    Slip and Do It

Some favorites, all available on 45.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i love the album "my first time around" which has an incredible track called "girls cant do what the guys do". you can find that track on 45 as well, i don't think either of those 2 should run you more than 30 dollars unless i'm underestimating the lp's value.

I don't think "Girls Can't Do..." on a single should run you $30 at all, since it was a hit.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yup, "My First Time Around" is a great solid album, love that one. I'd say get "I Love the Way You Love" that has "clean up woman" on there and is a super solid record imo, also its been reished. High Voltage is a good one too. You can get these for under $20 or $25 usually on ebay as everybody sweats the Lovelites and Marie Queenie Lyons and whatnot and totally sleeps on Betty...

Also, you're forgetting: Betty Wright SOLD MORE RECORDS AND HAD A LONGER STRING OF HITS than either the Lovelites or Lyons, so naturally her stuff is gonna be more common and thus cheaper. She is no obscure cult heroine. The live version of "Tonight Is The Night" is still a staple of dusties (black oldies) shows...

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I love her "This time for real" album + that 7" "Value your love" which I think is amazing....such a great soul ballad.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    My friend slung me a copy of Slip and Do It on 45 and it didn't leave my turntable for months.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    sweeeeeet - thanks for all the info and recommendations folks!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    an incredible track called "girls cant do what the guys do".

i can't even listen to that tune, it makes me want to puke. Clarence Reid is a great performer and songwriter but he's written some of the most sexist shit ever.

:5pager:

whatever...fuck that song.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    damn