Define "Bonus Beat"

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'm having a hard time convincing someone I'm working with that a bonus beat is normally a short, 1-2 min. "basic" drums and a loop thing, not some 3 minute+ song with added instrumentation. I need some folls to help define this schitt once and for all. no

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    allow me. a bonus beat is:

normally a short, 1-2 min. "basic" drums and a loop thing, not some 3 minute+ song with added instrumentation.

now hurry and get your check signed.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, from my understanding, you basically nailed it. It's the main loop of the song, or just the main beat repeated several times for the purpose of rocking doubles, no?

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    Yeah, from my understanding, you basically nailed it. It's the main loop of the song, or just the main beat repeated several times for the purpose of rocking doubles, no?

Seems like if it's already looped up that eliminates the need to rock doubles? What do I know though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Seems like if it's already looped up that eliminates the need to rock doubles? What do I know though.

Good point. Personally, I like to juggle minute-long sections of songs. It's more gentlemanly than the furious pace of doubling up a short break. I've even been known to juggle entire album sides. Although some people use the term "playing the same side of the record over and over again."

Those people do not know the real, and they do not know the true. Dun Dun Dunny Dunn A Lot.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    allow me. a bonus beat is:

normally a short, 1-2 min. "basic" drums and a loop thing, not some 3 minute+ song with added instrumentation.

this seems to be the standard bonus beat format. however, i know that i have heard bonus beats that incorporate different sounds added to the original drums/loops and end up being longer than the standard 1-2 minutes. i wish i could provide some examples. in most cases your definition would be correct.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Bonus Beat = The Drums

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Bonus Beat = The Drums

Basically. Or maybe the drums and the bassline if the original song has a lot of other instrumentation going on.

• Bonus Beat = The Drums

Basically. Or maybe the drums and the bassline if the original song has a lot of other instrumentation going on.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    can't you just pull out a couple 12"s and show him "the true"?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I'd say bonus beats are no more than drums and bass. Any more and it enters the instrumental category.

Speaking of bonus beats... I liked how yours for Gone Bad were more than just the drums from the track. Those added drum patterns were nice. That's really a "bonus" beat instead of "the" beat.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Good point. Personally, I like to juggle minute-long sections of songs. It's more gentlemanly than the furious pace of doubling up a short break.

Young_Phonics has been knowed to "juggle gentlemen."

Mayhaps you two are, how do you say, [i]familiar?[i]

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    soul ii soul - back to life
    (bonus beats)

arrested development - tennessee (showbiz remix)
    (for djs only)

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    LOL Phonics.

Well, I'd say that a bonus beat is something you wasn't supposed to release but for the fun of it you decide d to share, it is something very personal. It is something that doesn't correspond to the project, something extra... like chantilly on an ice cream, nahmsayin?
    Uh, I don't know if I'm clear?

dee-lite - groove is in the heart
    (jelly jam beats)

word of mouth - coast to coast
    (bonus beats)

Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force - Looking For The Perfect Beat (Bonus Beats II)

Fresh Ski & Mo Rock - Talkin Pays [B-Beats]

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Thanks guys, I think that about does it. Hopefully I can get this straightened out.
    Peace (and Happy Birthday) to Jaymack comin through like a champ.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Elements from the original track, a "reprise" of sort. Used for filling in during DJ sets. The most well known may be the Bonus Beat for "Planet Rock", since it is sequenced in a way that makes it feel like it's the reprise for the song, the time to show and prove on the floor if you haven't done so.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I'm having a hard time convincing someone I'm working with that a bonus beat is normally a short, 1-2 min. "basic" drums and a loop thing, not some 3 minute+ song with added instrumentation.

I need some folls to help define this schitt once and for all.

no

Personally I like the idea that a 3 minute song with added instrumentation would be listed as a bonus beat. It's a good surprise when you hear it, plus it shows some humility.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Some old school definitions here...

I have a bunch of records where a bonus beat is included, and that basically just means a little instrumental to take up some more time on the vinyl.
    Peopel focusing on the word "beat" and saying that it means drums and bass, as if it had any more it would be an "instrumental" suprise me. I thought it was accepted these days that when people talk about a new beat they've made they're not just talking about a drum pattern...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I'm having a hard time convincing someone I'm working with that a bonus beat is normally a short, 1-2 min. "basic" drums and a loop thing, not some 3 minute+ song with added instrumentation.

I need some folls to help define this schitt once and for all.

no

Personally I like the idea that a 3 minute song with added instrumentation would be listed as a bonus beat. It's a good surprise when you hear it, plus it shows some humility.

That should be referred to as the dub, unless it is the full length of the tune sans vocals in which case it would be the instrumental.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    like chantilly on an ice cream, nahmsayin?

Uh, I don't know if I'm clear?

BTW Jaymack, thanks for the Dee-Lite bonus beat, I've been needing that in digital form for awhile.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Like everyone is saying these are just the stripped down beat for a couple min. I would add that they may have originally been put on for radio DJ's to have some back ground music while they yap between songs. I still here radio DJ's doing that and I assume they are useing the bounus beat since the instumental will often still have vocal stabs and solos and such.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    first record to use the term "bonus beat" anyone?

just for my own sad interest. cheers!

ps I presume sometime in the early 80s.. Greg Wilson (have you got a namedrop graemlin) and I were talking "the evolution of dance vinyl" a while back, he was saying about how he remembers Indeep - Last Night.. etc etc was one of the first times where a 12" came with bonus "dj shit" on it for disco usage, and where you'd use 2 copies to heat up the floor

eg flushing toilet noise, accapella etc.

planet rock? bonus beats? first?

peace

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    first record to use the term "bonus beat" anyone?

just for my own sad interest. cheers!

ps I presume sometime in the early 80s.. Greg Wilson (have you got a namedrop graemlin) and I were talking "the evolution of dance vinyl" a while back, he was saying about how he remembers Indeep - Last Night.. etc etc was one of the first times where a 12" came with bonus "dj shit" on it for disco usage, and where you'd use 2 copies to heat up the floor

eg flushing toilet noise, accapella etc.

planet rock? bonus beats? first?

peace

I'm not sure of Konk's "Konk Party" release date, but there was a ton of great bonus beats, sound effects etc. on there. One of the earlier records with probably the sickest amount of bonus stuff I've ever seen on a record. There's like 20 bonus sounds and beats crammed in there.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    I'm not sure of Konk's "Konk Party" release date, but there was a ton of great bonus beats, sound effects etc. on there. One of the earlier records with probably the sickest amount of bonus stuff I've ever seen on a record. There's like 20 bonus sounds and beats crammed in there.

looked it up - google says NO!

sounds intriguing, respect!

I'm also obsessed with the first "dj edit" as well - or the search for it - earliest example of a soul track being reedited for the dancefloor is 69 to my current knowledge, please someone son me if they can find an earlier example

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force - Looking For The Perfect Beat (Bonus Beats II)

how come my browsers aren't showing these links? grrrr. anyone else having problems from recent flash player updates?