Charles Stepney acetate played by london jazz dj

BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Gilles played some acetates on the show last night that are priceless 1 of a kindsone of them is a one off acetate of Terry Callier's What Colour Is Love, which Terry lent him a few years back.. With Stepney interludes that never made the final cut the other is a Mary Lou Williams acetateThe Gary McFarland Orchestra feat. Bill Evans ??? ???Night Images??? (Cherry Red)The Positive Force with Ade Olatunji ??? ???Poem for My Lady??? (Pamoja)Billy Wooten ??? ???Chiconga??? (Wooten)Craig Harris and Tailgater Tales ??? ???Africans Unite??? (JMT)Stevie Parks ??? ???Sadness In My Samba??? (Reynolds)Carrie Cleveland ??? ???Make Love To Me??? (Audio Ent)The Flirtations ??? ???Nothing But A Heartache??? (London)June & Donnie ??? ???What???s This I See??? (Buddah)The Meditations ??? ???Let Them Talk??? (Cadet)Billy Paul ??? ???East??? (Philadelphia International Records)Don Ellis ??? ???Opus 5??? (Columbia)Sanchez Acosta feat. Marco Rizo ??? ???Marabunda??? (Tico)Ray Barretto ??? ???Elefante??? (Tico)Mary Lou Williams ??? ???Untitled??? (Test)Charles Stepney ??? ???Untitled??? (Test)03.00Terry Callier ??? ???Dancing Girl??? (Cadet)The Bobby Hamilton Quintet Unlimited ??? ???In The Mouth Of a Beast??? (Alifa)Shelly Manne & His Men ??? ???The Isolated Pawn??? (Contemporary)Gene Chandler ??? ???Does She Have A Friend???? (20th Century Fox)The Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble ??? ???Call To Worship??? (Fortress)Webster Lewis ??? ???Do You Believe??? (Alternative Version) (Plastic Strip)The Love Affair ??? ???Never In My Life??? (Semper)Cat Stevens ??? ???Bring Another Bottle??? (London)Joao Bosco ??? ???Escadas De Penha??? (RCA)Ray Camacho ??? ???Movin??? On??? (California Artists)Otto De Rojas Y Los Ultra ??? ???Bump Bump??? (RCA)Nikki Giovanni ??? ???Ego Trippin??? (Right-On)The Pyramids ??? ???Nsorama (The Stars)??? (Pyramid)Billy Bang Quintet ??? ???Rainbow Gladiator??? (Soul Note)Andrew Hill ??? ???Chiconga??? (Warwick)I might be able to *coughpostaudio* later

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    holy shit... serious business here.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Are all those tracks Stepney productions?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    hahahaha D you know the deal.. hahahahah

hi flomotion - the tracklist is for the "brownswood basement" show from last night which does include a couple of stepneys as you can see.. but no, they're not all produced by stepney

the one marked "charles stepney - untitled (test)" is a interlude off this acetate

which is actually a double if my memory serves correct, so there's plenty more on it to play

probably can't get more holy grailer than that. anyone here got any stepney acetates?

peace

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

sure man, i spent ages to find that positive force record alone.. still no luck.
    wont even talk about billy wooten. impossible to find anywhere else than ebay. at least for me.

The Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble ??? ???Call To Worship??? (Fortress)

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    The Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble ??? ???Call To Worship??? (Fortress)

not even google knows what that record is about.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

hi flomotion - the tracklist is for the "brownswood basement" show from last night which does include a couple of stepneys as you can see.. but no, they're not all produced by stepney

the one marked "charles stepney - untitled (test)" is a interlude off this acetate

which is actually a double if my memory serves correct, so there's plenty more on it to play

probably can't get more holy grailer than that. anyone here got any stepney acetates?

peace

Thanks mate - recognised a couple on there as Stepney productions (Let Them Talk, for one) but a lovely list all the same.

inVrs - I sold my Wooden Glass about five years ago for what I thought was great price of ??300 - not seen it again in the wild since but I think the value has dropped ... at one point Wooten was trying to stop people selling them for some reason, but I can't remember why.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Cheers for posting this up, haven't listened to Gilles' show in a long while, but when the sun's shining and it brownswood basement time, you know you're in for a real treat.

For those interested it can be heard here.

But if anyone has a better quality mp3 they could post up that to would be super cool.

The Mary Lou Williams and Charles Stepney tracks are getting a release apparently, anyone know anything about that?

• The Mary Lou Williams and Charles Stepney tracks are getting a release apparently, anyone know anything about that?

probably on the next brownswood usa compilation on ubiquity...

pm