Beastie Boys new instrumental album

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Cut and pasted from their newsletter. Does anyone care anymore?"HEADS UP!OK, here's our blurb about our new album -- it spits hot fire! -- hot shit! it's official... it's named THE MIX-UP. g'wan. all instrumental record. "see i knew they were gonna do that!" that's a quote from you. check the track listing and cover below. you love us. don't you? . B For My Name2. 14th St. Break3. Suco De Tangerina4. The Gala Event5. Electric Worm6. Freaky Hijiki7. Off The Grid8. The Rat Cage9. The Melee10. Dramastically Different11. The Cousin Of Death12. The Kangaroo Ratalso, heads up... presale tickets for the V-FEST in BALL-TOWN aka baltimore go on sale tomorrow. we'll be playing with the PO-LEASE (playing their smash hit single "the dream police!" -- one more summer...) presale info below.that meant that we are playing the festival that we talked about in this paragraph.August 4th - Virgin Festival - Pimlico Race Course - Baltimore, MDExclusive presale runs from Wednesday, May 2 at 10 AM EST - Friday, May 4, 10 PM ESTLink: http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/8bxqkcpassword is GoGreen (not case sensitive)There is a 4 ticket limit for the presale.Tickets go on sale to the public Saturday, May 5th at 10am EST. Tickets will be available at that time via Ticketmaster.com or by phone at 800-551-SEAT.For more festival information, visit www.virginfestival.comMore US concert dates coming!!! Stay tuned!

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    on pitchfork they said it was it's equally different from instrumental songs we've done before, like the ones that were on The In Sound From Way Out! That was kind of one direction and this one [has] different influences, like Public Image Ltd., Gang of Four, the Slits, Killing Joke."

The Beastie Boys are my heroes (no joke) - but i haven't liked a Beasties record since Ill communication ( and i havn't listened to that in like 10 years). but this could be a good direction for them. Instrumental post-punk

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Daamn, you got my hopes up. Im a big fan of there past instrumental album. I lost it when I first heard it and I kept checking if it was actually the beastie boys. But I am peeved that this will be different from ISWO which makes me very sad.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    That cover looks ill...curious to listen to that stuff...

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Nice. i think this is the direction they should be going now. Sounds interesting too. I'll check it out.
    The last album was a giant shit sandwich, but this will be completely different.

Release date?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Nice. i think this is the direction they should be going now.

They definitely shouldn't ever rap again. I'll actually listen to this, as opposed to the last one. The garbage singles were enough to scare me off. And I even like (gasp!) Hello Nasty! (ducks and covers).

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    And I even like (gasp!) Hello Nasty! (ducks and covers).

I did too.

edit - the release date is 6/26 btw.

• *Catnip lowered*

Seriously, though, those Beastie instrumental albums are some of the greatest instrumental stuff ever. Their "In Sound from Way Out" is better than Perrey and Kingsley's.

• That cover looks ill amateurish[/b]

cool concept, but this could have been done 500 times better than it is. pretty turdtacular. lookin' forward to hearing the album though!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    it's equally different from instrumental songs we've done before, like the ones that were on The In Sound From Way Out! That was kind of one direction and this one [has] different influences, like Public Image Ltd., Gang of Four, the Slits, Killing Joke."

Sounds good to me. After that last album, I was thinking they needed to put down the mic and reinvent themselves somehow and this new LP seems like a natural direction. I'll check for it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I don't think I ever aksed the Strut how they felt about Money Mark's first two albums.

Since y'all like the Beastie's instros, whaddya make of Keyboard Repair and Push the Button?

Push the Button had some hilarious emo pop singing bullisht but the keys were nice at times and Willie Bobo's son is nice on the bongos on a coupla tracks.

• "Mark's Keyboard Repair" was my roommate's and my theme music while playing Tony Hawk 2 and eating cheap pizza. A sentimental favorite.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I don't think I ever aksed the Strut how they felt about Money Mark's first two albums.

Since y'all like the Beastie's instros, whaddya make of Keyboard Repair and Push the Button?

Push the Button had some hilarious emo pop singing bullisht but the keys were nice at times and Willie Bobo's son is nice on the bongos on a coupla tracks.

OKay...funny you should bring this up. I'm not tyring to hi-jack this thread, but has anyone seen this video on VH1 with the guy that looks and sounds ALOT like Money Mark? Its the video with the choreographed street corner sign-twirlers?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Keyboard Repair

love this record!

He's putting out records on Jack Johnsons lable now. Hope he's not on a groovy brah/acoustic/faux reggae tip.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I still listen to Keyboard Repair regularly. I picked up some of his newer stuff a year or two back and couldn't stomach it.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    I thought that the majority of tracks on ISFWO were released on other albums with a few extra tracks to fill it out?