Neu!-bie OG question ...

scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
So I copped these for cheap the other day and have been blown away (esp. the S/T) ... Am digging the motorik sounds. 'Hallogallo' and 'Isi' in particular off the top of my head.The S/T an OG (I am pretty sure), but not so sure about the Neu! '75 LP.Both have the browny-green 'Brain Records' label, which would make me think they are OG, but the cover of the Neu! '75 LP cover looks like a modern print job, and there no '75 written on the cover (like some pics I have seen online). Are there any markings on the run-out groove/label markings that I shd. be looking for?? Any help would be appreciated ...And if I like this, does anyone have any recommendations?? (Can is about as deep as it goes at this stage)Is the book by Julian Cope worth checking out??

Comments

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    As long as the music is OG I wouldn't be too worried.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    check out the album by Michael Rother titled Sterntaler.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    What country are they from? There's some regional variations on these. I don't think Neu! '75 had a green label originally though. I think it had an orange label. And I think only the UK copies have "75" on the front... and I think those are on UA.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The S/T an OG (I am pretty sure), but not so sure about the Neu! '75 LP.

Both have the browny-green 'Brain Records' label, which would make me think they are OG, but the cover of the Neu! '75 LP cover looks like a modern print job, and there no '75 written on the cover (like some pics I have seen online).

Are there any markings on the run-out groove/label markings that I shd. be looking for?? Any help would be appreciated ...

Not sure of the quality of the Neu! 75, but my reissue of the S/T is on a super clean and glossy cardboard.. Not matte like an original... Definitely modern print job.

And if I like this, does anyone have any recommendations?? (Can is about as deep as it goes at this stage)

Obviously Can.. Harmonia, Cluster, La Dusseldorf, early Kraftwerk which featured NEU, a couple of new ones Fujiya and Miyagi, and Caribou.

Is the book by Julian Cope worth checking out??

As a krautrock newbie most definitely.

- spidey

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    that 'crack in the kosmic egg' book has all the og german label variations. there are a few. i'll look later

• scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
    The S/T an OG (I am pretty sure), but not so sure about the Neu! '75 LP.

Both have the browny-green 'Brain Records' label, which would make me think they are OG, but the cover of the Neu! '75 LP cover looks like a modern print job, and there no '75 written on the cover (like some pics I have seen online).

Are there any markings on the run-out groove/label markings that I shd. be looking for?? Any help would be appreciated ...

Not sure of the quality of the Neu! 75, but my reissue of the S/T is on a super clean and glossy cardboard.. Not matte like an original... Definitely modern print job.

And if I like this, does anyone have any recommendations?? (Can is about as deep as it goes at this stage)

Obviously Can.. Harmonia, Cluster, La Dusseldorf, early Kraftwerk which featured NEU, a couple of new ones Fujiya and Miyagi, and Caribou.

Is the book by Julian Cope worth checking out??

As a krautrock newbie most definitely.

- spidey

Thanks!!! Have a bit of stuff by Fujiya and Miyagi, but will def. check out the others.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm opertaing under the assumption that you know Steve Reich, Terry Riley, an Lamonte Young. Maybe I'm wrong though. Do you know Music For 18 Musicians? I>In C[/i] (the twenty fifth anniversary recording[/i]? The The Well Tuned Piano?

that 'crack in the kosmic egg' book has all the og german label variations. there are a few. i'll look later

Thanks!

Is that this??

Looks cool ... I had a look on their website, but Neu! seemed to be omitted ... Strange.

• crashcoursecrashcourse 214 Posts
    yeah thats the book, just pulled it out. i had remembered it having greater details, but it does say green labels w/ "metronome" written underneath are first.

Thanks!

Is that this??

Looks cool ... I had a look on their website, but Neu! seemed to be omitted ... Strange.

I'm opertaing under the assumption that you know Steve Reich, Terry Riley, an Lamonte Young. Maybe I'm wrong though. Do you know Music For 18 Musicians? I>In C[/i] (the twenty fifth anniversary recording[/i]? The The Well Tuned Piano?

I can't say that I do ... I had always associated those names with Musique concr??te/Minimal music though (not that I have listened to much of that) ...

Thanks for the recommendations!