GUNTER HAMPEL - HELL YEAH

inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
i was in braunschweig this weekend and found some very nice records at a record/video exchange.things like doug carn`s "adams apple", weldon irvine`s "honey baby", jimmy mcgriff "red beans", dave pike set "noisy silence gentel noise" AND gunter hampel`s "heartplants" on SABA. and hell - how good is that record???? i ve been a big fan of hampel, lots of crazy free jazz records from this guy out there. "all the things you could do if charles mingus was your daddy" with the brilliant "while u think keep an eye on your thoughts" is possibly my favourite german freejazz track.. i recommend y??ll to check this out.. insane but groovy as hell. the "heartplants" is also really really nice. especially B2 .. who is feelin mr hampel on here?

Comments

• i was in braunschweig this weekend and found some very nice records at a record/video exchange.
    things like doug carn`s "adams apple", weldon irvine`s "honey baby", jimmy mcgriff "red beans", dave pike set "noisy silence gentel noise" AND gunter hampel`s "heartplants" on SABA. and hell - how good is that record????
    i ve been a big fan of hampel, lots of crazy free jazz records from this guy out there. "all the things you could do if charles mingus was your daddy" with the brilliant "while u think keep an eye on your thoughts" is possibly my favourite german freejazz track.. i recommend y??ll to check this out.. insane but groovy as hell.
    the "heartplants" is also really really nice. especially B2 ..

who is feelin mr hampel on here?

hampel played with that horrible german band... jazzkantine. and since most of his old albums totally suck, i can't really imagine what heartplants sounds like. i need to listen to it. serioulsy, the other stuff by hampel is absolutely drunter.

braunschweig? isn't that germany's most hip hoppest city? how come they have records? i thought that place must be totally cleaned out.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i was in braunschweig this weekend and found some very nice records at a record/video exchange.
    things like doug carn`s "adams apple", weldon irvine`s "honey baby", jimmy mcgriff "red beans", dave pike set "noisy silence gentel noise" AND gunter hampel`s "heartplants" on SABA. and hell - how good is that record????
    i ve been a big fan of hampel, lots of crazy free jazz records from this guy out there. "all the things you could do if charles mingus was your daddy" with the brilliant "while u think keep an eye on your thoughts" is possibly my favourite german freejazz track.. i recommend y??ll to check this out.. insane but groovy as hell.
    the "heartplants" is also really really nice. especially B2 ..

who is feelin mr hampel on here?

hampel played with that horrible german band... jazzkantine. and since most of his old albums totally suck, i can't really imagine what heartplants sounds like. i need to listen to it. serioulsy, the other stuff by hampel is absolutely drunter.

braunschweig? isn't that germany's most hip hoppest city? how come they have records? i thought that place must be totally cleaned out.

hahaha.. fucking jazzkantine??? thats some serious laydown..
    ok, so probably he needed some $$. all the stuff i know from this guy rocks, i ve got 4 records from him and love em. "heartplants" seems to be the most sought after one..
    "all the things.." is from 1998, so not really interesting for the real headz, but i love it. proves he still got the magic in 1998, after doing crap with the jazzkantine.

e: about braunschweig.. yeah its a really ugly city, not much happening there. was really lucky to dj there on the weekend of the record exchange.. happens once a year or so..

• hahaha.. fucking jazzkantine??? thats some serious laydown..
    ok, so probably he needed some $$. all the stuff i know from this guy rocks, i ve got 4 records from him and love em. "heartplants" seems to be the most sought after one..
    "all the things.." is from 1998, so not really interesting for the real headz, but i love it. proves he still got the magic in 1998, after doing crap with the jazzkantine.

not disrispectin'... just wondering. i heard about 5 hampel albums, but to me, it was just some chaotic free jazz. some nice moments, but really not my kind of bag. maybe the saba lp is good. i never heard it. sounds interesting.

i thought that he was the mastermind behind jazzkantine

• e: about braunschweig.. yeah its a really ugly city, not much happening there. was really lucky to dj there on the weekend of the record exchange.. happens once a year or so..

it can't be worse than kassel
    and they have some pretty good record stores in kassel. i was trying to say that it used to be THE place for hip hop people. at least, that's what i heard. so i guess there are still some people looking for records, cleaning out the stores.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Could you post a soundclip of this Hampel joint?

And you found the Dave Pike Set LP in Braunschweig? OMG,

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

25 euros

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Got the LP with Marion Brown on IAI.. Love it, marion's tone is sublime.

probably would get an from anyone that doesn't like it free, though.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

just recorded a snippet of the "heartplants" for you people..

http://download.yousendit.com/74DD12B425748B3A

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    just recorded a snippet of the "heartplants" for you people..

http://download.yousendit.com/74DD12B425748B3A

thanks! I wouldn??t sell my soul for it, but that sounds nice.

• HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts
    i don't know. there are tons of records that sound alike. i'm not a big fan of free jazz.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i'm not a big fan of free jazz.

maybe thats why u dont know :-)

• HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts
    i'm not a big fan of free jazz.

maybe thats why u dont know :-)

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I have about 4 or 5 Gunter Hampel titles now, all of which I like. I've noticed not alot of other people dig him (this thread is proof haha) what can I say? I'm very partial to vibist stuff. Recently got his lp on ESP Disk which took me a while to track down, nice free jazz record. Love the Marion Brown duo record, sublime stuff. Sold that MPS one with the amazing psychedelic cover to Crink awhile back, that was the only one that was a little too wild for me...