emails from your favorite artists

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
has anyone ever found the email address of one of your favorite musicians and sent them a quick email thanking them for making the music you enjoy? Last night I found Gary Davis' (of "Chocolate Star" fame) email and sent him a cool message passing on the enjoyment I get from his work. This morning I get this back..."Thank you so very much! I am working on a "new" old> school LP with the > sounds of the 70's that maybe out this summer and a> miami bass comp > too!> Thanks again!> GaryIt was nice to be able to get in contact with someone I admire. Anybody else ever do this?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yes, usually when a) it's a new artist who I really dig and is still on the come up or b) something real old and obscure that no one knows about that I want to track down. I've had some real good success doing the latter, and almost always get the "shit, I don't even have a copy anymore" response.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    i got an email from the drummer from the slits less than 24 hours later while they were still on tour. Fucken awesome show.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    has anyone ever found the email address of one of your favorite musicians and sent them a quick email thanking them for making the music you enjoy? Last night I found Gary Davis' (of "Chocolate Star" fame) email and sent him a cool message passing on the enjoyment I get from his work. This morning I get this back...

"Thank you so very much! I am working on a "new" old
    > school LP with the
    > sounds of the 70's that maybe out this summer and a
    > miami bass comp
    > too!
    > Thanks again!
    > Gary

It was nice to be able to get in contact with someone I admire. Anybody else ever do this?

this is gonna be dope, btw

• pretty much every artist I talk to and ask for stuff..(side note - I feel bad asking for stuff, but i mean we don't know each other, what do you want to talk about? the weather?) has usually said i'll look, then never responded back.

I feel bad in one way that pretty much every artist ever basicly hates talking about the past and just want to concentrate on their current project. I totally respect that but at the same time, if you have some great unreleased song, I want to hear it! haha New stuff is great, but A LOT of these guys don't want anything to do with their past.

p.s. I know that sounds like a typical dickhead fan, but i think i just typed it that way. You guys know what i mean. Unreleased/rare gems need to be shared.