New D'Angelo Product Almost Done?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
From ?uest:"Here's the deal: 11 songs are done. Most need lyrics. Most are in the 7-9 minute range. All are epic as ****. Most need a haircut. Shit I love. But shit I know the marketplace ain't even ready for. If "Untitled" video is what got him over on the idiot side of things, he is gonna have to get his physical game back and come with some strong ass imagining to make up for the fact that there will be no radio friendly single--newbies I'm warning you now, if you want to "understand" this record--you must purchase and study the following: [Funkadelic's] Maggot Brain, America Eats Its Young, Cosmic Slop, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, Let's Take it to the Stage, Tales of Kidd Funkadelic, [Sly & The Family Stone's] There's a Riot Going On, [Miles Davis'] On the Corner, [Shuggie Otis'] Inspiration Information, [Brian Wilson's] Smile, [the Beatles'] Abbey Road, Revolver, [Jimi Hendrix's] Electric Ladyland, [the Sex Pistol's] Nevermind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols, [Prince's] Dirty Mind, [Tony Williams'] Ego and Emergency!. Study and absorb and research this shit now. Memorize it. Understand why the albums I mentioned were important in their historical context. Lower your expectations. This will throw you for a loop."From Russ Elevado:"hello,unfortunately, i can't go into too much detail about the new album. i can however, give you a litle background:we have been working on it (on and off) since 2002. and i don't have any idea when the exact release date is but hopefully this year, the latest 2008. but it has been in progress (slow as that may be). we were in the studio last november doing some o/d's and rough mixes on about 5 new songs that we could play for the label. but besides that, D has not worked on the album for about 2 years or so. we do have plans to head in the studio in may to finish mixes on some live material from the voodoo tour and that's all i can say about the live stuff for now...sorryi turned him onto hendrix just before we started voodoo (hence the album title) and he just went crazy. it was like a revelation for him. he realized (for the first time) that a lot of his heroes were greatly influenced by hendrix, including prince, sly, george clinton...everyone! and i got him hooked on the beatles as well. so it's opened up a few doors for him.it will be a different album than voodoo, that much is definite. to me it's leaning more in a rock direction. like funkadelic meets the beatles or something. he hasn't given up his soul roots by any means, but he is growing and exploring a new genre. he's writing quite a bit of music on guitar rather than the keyboard this time as well.it will have a different sonic quality as well. we'll have to see how it will turn out as the vision has not revealed itself fully yet. his songs are varied and he's gone through much experimentation. my contributions wil be (more than ever) in the old school production techniques and style. but this time it will come from a slightly more rock prespective...slightly. and heavier.the song you're speaking of is actually called "1000 deaths". and i don't hear the earth, wind, fire influence. it's more like a heavy rock/funk vibe. it would be hard for me to rate as it's every bit of a good D'angelo song than any of his others but it's also different. there's some really nice guitar work from him on that song also.all the best__________________russ elevado "There is a link here too which I can't download at work:http://media.vibe.com/vibe/audio/reallylove.mp3Not sure if it's going to be my cup of tea, but glad to hear he's still making music, after the events since the release of Voodoo.

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i'm pretty sure that questlove quote is 3 years old.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    If it's 3 years old, then you have my aplogies. I hadn't seen it before. I'll have the late pass with no objections.

Anyone seen any news less than 3 years old on Mr. Archer (music-not-drug-and-or-car-wreck-related)?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I heard that "Really Love" a week or so back. It's pretty decent in a "Lewis Taylor produced by Dilla" kind of way (without sounding as good as either).

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    From ?uest:

"Here's the deal: 11 songs are done. Most need lyrics.

i know he did a lot of remakes, but i always thought d'angelo was a songwriter? ten years go by and he hasn't written any lyrics?

I heard that "Really Love" a week or so back. It's pretty decent in a "Lewis Taylor produced by Dilla" kind of way (without sounding as good as either).

I was thinking Lewis Taylor when I read the article, and I know D'Angelo was a fan of Lewis. He went as far as flying him out to the US to work on something, but Lewis was in the hotel for a week without getting the call, IIRC. Lewis had to knock it on the head and get home.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I know he was up here in the studio a couple months ago. My friend brian was with him. I'll ask around and see whats really on the new project.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    he is back in new york.
    we spoke last week.
    he is hungrier than ever
    wants to start fresh
    thinks the last 16 joints that woulda been on the
    James River album bit are Evil and Tainted and too dark to go to.
    i say he is too married to that shit and lived with them too long.
    shit is brilliant to me.

my solution?

release the DARK and LIGHT cds.

we deserve an overblown makeup disc:

40 songs.

--guess i gotta get to work huh?

I'd say we can expect it by 2010, barring another burnout.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    From ?uest:

"Here's the deal: 11 songs are done. Most need lyrics. Most are in the 7-9 minute range. All are epic as ****. Most need a haircut. Shit I love. But shit I know the marketplace ain't even ready for. If "Untitled" video is what got him over on the idiot side of things, he is gonna have to get his physical game back and come with some strong ass imagining to make up for the fact that there will be no radio friendly single--newbies I'm warning you now, if you want to "understand" this record--you must purchase and study the following: [Funkadelic's] Maggot Brain, America Eats Its Young, Cosmic Slop, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, Let's Take it to the Stage, Tales of Kidd Funkadelic, [Sly & The Family Stone's] There's a Riot Going On, [Miles Davis'] On the Corner, [Shuggie Otis'] Inspiration Information, [Brian Wilson's] Smile, [the Beatles'] Abbey Road, Revolver, [Jimi Hendrix's] Electric Ladyland, [the Sex Pistol's] Nevermind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols, [Prince's] Dirty Mind, [Tony Williams'] Ego and Emergency!. Study and absorb and research this shit now. Memorize it. Understand why the albums I mentioned were important in their historical context. Lower your expectations. This will throw you for a loop."

Damn, this dude is annoying!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    ten years go by and he hasn't written any lyrics?

Hey, Dylan had a phase like that too.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    From ?uest:

"Here's the deal: 11 songs are done. Most need lyrics. Most are in the 7-9 minute range. All are epic as ****. Most need a haircut. Shit I love. But shit I know the marketplace ain't even ready for. If "Untitled" video is what got him over on the idiot side of things, he is gonna have to get his physical game back and come with some strong ass imagining to make up for the fact that there will be no radio friendly single--newbies I'm warning you now, if you want to "understand" this record--you must purchase and study the following:[/b] [Funkadelic's] Maggot Brain, America Eats Its Young, Cosmic Slop, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, Let's Take it to the Stage, Tales of Kidd Funkadelic, [Sly & The Family Stone's] There's a Riot Going On, [Miles Davis'] On the Corner, [Shuggie Otis'] Inspiration Information, [Brian Wilson's] Smile, [the Beatles'] Abbey Road, Revolver, [Jimi Hendrix's] Electric Ladyland, [the Sex Pistol's] Nevermind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols, [Prince's] Dirty Mind, [Tony Williams'] Ego and Emergency!. Study and absorb and research this shit now. Memorize it. Understand why the albums I mentioned were important in their historical context. Lower your expectations. This will throw you for a loop."

Oh, yeah. If so much as ONE[/b] of those albums are missing from your collection, you won't even HEAR[/b] the new D'Angelo album, you might as well just turn the radio to a dead channel and bump the static. You dig?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

"Here's the deal: 11 songs are done. Most need lyrics. Most are in the 7-9 minute range. ... Most need a haircut. ... Lower your expectations. ... unfortunately, i can't go into too much detail about the new album. .... we have been working on it (on and off) since 2002. and i don't have any idea when the exact release date is but hopefully this year, the latest 2008. ... D has not worked on the album for about 2 years or so. ... we'll have to see how it will turn out as the vision has not revealed itself fully yet...

D'Angelo is (was?) a huge talent. Saw him live, loved it. To produce work and bring it to the market place takes more than talent.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ten years go by and he hasn't written any lyrics?

Hey, Dylan had a phase like that too.

What was that 7 year period when Dylan wrote no lyrics?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    From ?uest:

"Here's the deal: 11 songs are done. Most need lyrics. Most are in the 7-9 minute range. All are epic as ****. Most need a haircut. Shit I love. But shit I know the marketplace ain't even ready for. If "Untitled" video is what got him over on the idiot side of things, he is gonna have to get his physical game back and come with some strong ass imagining to make up for the fact that there will be no radio friendly single--newbies I'm warning you now, if you want to "understand" this record--you must purchase and study the following: [Funkadelic's] Maggot Brain, America Eats Its Young, Cosmic Slop, Standing on the Verge of Getting It On, Let's Take it to the Stage, Tales of Kidd Funkadelic, [Sly & The Family Stone's] There's a Riot Going On, [Miles Davis'] On the Corner, [Shuggie Otis'] Inspiration Information, [Brian Wilson's] Smile, [the Beatles'] Abbey Road, Revolver, [Jimi Hendrix's] Electric Ladyland, [the Sex Pistol's] Nevermind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols, [Prince's] Dirty Mind, [Tony Williams'] Ego and Emergency!. Study and absorb and research this shit now. Memorize it. Understand why the albums I mentioned were important in their historical context. Lower your expectations. This will throw you for a loop."

Rattle off a list of definitive LPs and then tell folks to 'lower your expectations'??? Just plain weird.

As if 'Smile' has anything to do with 'Never Mind The Bollocks' has anything to do with 'Cosmic Slop' in any context, let alone D'Angelo's. Someone is smokin way too much wacky tabacky.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

As if 'Smile' has anything to do with 'Never Mind The Bollocks' has anything to do with 'Cosmic Slop' in any context, let alone D'Angelo's. Someone is smokin way too much wacky tabacky.

easy now

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Does does have to do with what's going on at Gearslutz?

I have heard a lot of those ?uest-listed sets. Not feeling a lot of it. Come on, the Sex Pistols? It's more performance art than real music. At least to me. I always found The Pistols attitude equally as comical as the glam-rock it was supposed to be out to topple.

But "Voodoo" is a desert island disc for me. The dude has talent.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    From ?uest:

good lord yeah
    someone needs to burn dude's music magazines

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    [quoteVoodoo is a desert island disc for me.