using external drives w/ Microwave

TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
so my hard drive is nearly full with 30+ gigs of mp3s. so instead of copping a new internal drive, i'm thinking about going the external route. my only concern is how the usb ports will handle the extra load..if Microwave's already using up processor speed in one usb, how well would the external drive function on the 2nd usb port? i'm looking to avoid signal drop outs and all that..anyone here have experience w/ this?holleur.

Comments

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    No fire wire? I run microwave exclusively off an external with a fire and have no problems--never done off both the internal and external so I can't speak to that.

• not to post jack...
    but in terms of external hard drives, are there any particular brands that one should avoid?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i use a 250 GB lacie, but someone was telling me they get shitted on over at the skratch forums. i haven't used it for my dildo yet cause my laptop is 80 GB, but i'd def use the firewire.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    320 gig lacie here.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    No fire wire? I run microwave exclusively off an external with a fire and have no problems--never done off both the internal and external so I can't speak to that.

nah, just rocking USB's and not even USB2's... looks' like a new internal might be the move.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You don't want to go past 70% full on your external.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Microwave is definitely more stable using an external drive for the library, but i'd prolly stick to the firewire port.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I've been using western digital drives and i've been pretty happy so far. Some models are better than others, so make sure you check reviews on newegg or tigerdirect.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Microwave is definitely more stable using an external drive for the library, but i'd prolly stick to the firewire port.

this is probably a newbie tech dude type question, but is there a way to upgrade to firewire? like maybe replacing a network card?

i went bare bones when purchasing this laptop, thought 4 usb's would be enough.

the game has changed.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i wouldnt rely on any firewire expansion cards for the purposes of microwaving. you should be fine with using a usb drive for microwave but be aware that usb is the weakest link as far as Microwave stability goes and if you do not have your shit properly configured, you will encounter problems.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    i wouldnt rely on any firewire expansion cards for the purposes of microwaving. you should be fine with using a usb drive for microwave but be aware that usb is the weakest link as far as Microwave stability goes and if you do not have your shit properly configured, you will encounter problems.

i wouldnt use usb 1.0 though. reading and writing with that sh*t is mad slow

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

i wouldnt use usb 1.0 though. reading and writing with that sh*t is mad slow

that's what i figured.. although a few dudes over in the scratch forums gig off of external drives & usb 1.0. i suppose it's worth a test run in the bedroom...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    i use a 250 GB lacie, but someone was telling me they get shitted on over at the skratch forums. i haven't used it for my dildo yet cause my laptop is 80 GB, but i'd def use the firewire.

If its one of these, the porsche design ones, be aware, being around ny studios and such, I have been told by at least 6 people of the horror stories associated, and I have had people stop in there tracks and get deadly quiet at the mere mention of porsche drives. No personal experience with the porsche, I've heard mixed stuff about the D3 drives (i like em), but I've never heard anyone say anything positive about the porsche, beyond 'well i havent lost my stuff'...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    YEP, those lacies are straight garbage. avoid at all costs

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I've been using Lacie external drives with Serat0 for 2 years and the first one crapped out after a year and a half of dropping it over and over. I'm on a Lacie Rugged Drive 100 GB now and it's working fine.

• Mac Heads: does anyone boot to an external firewire drive for S e r a t o use?

My internal drive has been acting funny, may have dropped this thing too many times. and if I go that route what is a good stable external.

Also do people with 500 GB hard drives play nothing but WAV files? Someday I want to go that route.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    initally i was thinking about my own experience with the Porsche Lacie drives and was thinking whats the fuss about, i've never had any problem. then i remembered a gig ages back where my main stash of mp3s in one folder completely corrupted five minutes before i was about to play.

the benifit of these shits is being able to just take your external to a gig and use someone elses laptop or whatever, or if your laptop dies your ain't completely fucked. I remember an interview with Jazzy Jeff and he runs his stuff entirely on external.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    I use/sell a lot of Rocstor hard drives, and they work great. Standard power cable (no funky wall wart), no fans, good looking enclosure. Co-sign on Lacie Porsche drives sucking ass, we have seen lots of them dead...
    Peace
    Zeb

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I use/sell a lot of Rocstor hard drives, and they work great. Standard power cable (no funky wall wart), no fans, good looking enclosure. Co-sign on Lacie Porsche drives sucking ass, we have seen lots of them dead...
    Peace
    Zeb

cool, and it looks like a good amount of them are triple-interface, which is a very good look. Zeb, would you recommend any model in particular for full-time Microwave use?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    no fans
    whats wrong w/fans? noise? hum?

any other brand recommendations?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

If its one of these, the porsche design ones, be aware, being around ny studios and such, I have been told by at least 6 people of the horror stories associated, and I have had people stop in there tracks and get deadly quiet at the mere mention of porsche drives. No personal experience with the porsche, I've heard mixed stuff about the D3 drives (i like em), but I've never heard anyone say anything positive about the porsche, beyond 'well i havent lost my stuff'...

Nah. I use this one:

i also use my iriver.

no problems.

i'd like to get a 500 gig or larger to run lossless wav files. mp3s sound like shit.

• For all you dudes using ext. drives with Sir Otto: do you use crates, too? I had a hard time getting my crates to show up from my external drive and no one on the Scratch Live forum could figure it out, either.

The bigger the better really, the 400/500GB models would be a good bet!
    Peace
    Zeb

The bigger the better really, the 400/500GB models would be a good bet!
    Peace
    Zeb

i can dig that. and obviously a 7200rpm one is better. are all the Rocstor models good for withstanding the constant transfer of Microwave?

Oh yeah fore sure, they use the Oxford 911 firewire chipset, which is the good shit... I just have 120GB internal drive on my 12" powerbook, but my homie uses a Rocstor 160GB w/ microwave with no problems...
    Good bet is go firewire if you can... Hopefully you are using Mac?
    Peace
    Zeb

Oh yeah fore sure, they use the Oxford 911 firewire chipset, which is the good shit... I just have 120GB internal drive on my 12" powerbook, but my homie uses a Rocstor 160GB w/ microwave with no problems...
    Good bet is go firewire if you can... Hopefully you are using Mac?
    Peace
    Zeb

Well, i'm not using shit yet, but when i do get Microwave, i'm gonna get one a them new mac book shits. my current laptop (not Microwavable, believe me) is old and doesn't have firewire. i might get a ext. HD soon and start compiling songs. then when the Microwave laptop comes, ill have hella shit. that's why i'm loving the triple interface because i can use USB with my old comp and firewire with the new one.

if the Rocstors are solid i'll definitely consider them strongly.

yeah seems like from the microwave msg boards that the intel version of Microwave is all good (of course), and the 2nd gen macbooks have not had the problems the first ones did...
    The triple interface Rocstors (ALL customers call them RockSTAR) are best for sure for that, but use firewire when playing back in microwave.
    If you go all out and get the TTM 57 SL it is worth it. The effects and the convienence + the nice Rane mixer if you don't already have one are worth the money. If you are not in a huge rush there will possibly be new MacBooks in June... If you are in US PM or drop an email to [email]zeb@comphaus.com[/email] if you want, I sell all three Mac, Rocstor and Rane, not to hustle or anything
    Peace
    Zeb

yeah seems like from the microwave msg boards that the intel version of Microwave is all good (of course), and the 2nd gen macbooks have not had the problems the first ones did...
    The triple interface Rocstors (ALL customers call them RockSTAR) are best for sure for that, but use firewire when playing back in microwave.
    If you go all out and get the TTM 57 SL it is worth it. The effects and the convienence + the nice Rane mixer if you don't already have one are worth the money. If you are not in a huge rush there will possibly be new MacBooks in June... If you are in US PM or drop an email to [email]zeb@comphaus.com[/email] if you want, I sell all three Mac, Rocstor and Rane, not to hustle or anything
    Peace
    Zeb

nah, it's cool. get that money, son. my microwave days are far off, but i will definitely keep you in mind. I have a Rane TTM56 that I love, so no upgrade there. but i want my Microwave/computer/ext. HD to completely harmonized.

You're not Zeb of Wonderwheel fame are you?

Word, thanks man, let me know for sure... The 56 is on point, but man if you gig a lot then plugging and un-plugging that box is after a while... I kinda wish the 57 was as thin as the 56, but I got used to it, I switched from an 06...
    Not the Zeb of Wonderwheel, though I'll have to look for that (MP3?)... Zebulon - like Captain Hero from Drawn Together's home planet ... There is also Zeb Roc Ski a euro breakbeat dude I think... Pike's Peak - named after Zebulon Pike...
    Peace
    Zebulon

Mac Heads: does anyone boot to an external firewire drive for S e r a t o use?

My internal drive has been acting funny, may have dropped this thing too many times. and if I go that route what is a good stable external.

Also do people with 500 GB hard drives play nothing but WAV files? Someday I want to go that route.

Didn't catch his earlier, you can just boot of your Mac OS install disc, format the drive with Disk Utility, and then install and boot from it, then load up microwave and tunes. To boot the Mac you want to run it on, hold down option on boot and select or select it from Start-Up Disk System Preference & restart... That would be nice for just taking your drive to a gig with a permanant DJ booth and microwave/Mac set-up... Don't know about performance, I doubt it would be a problem... Also there would be a difference between PPC/Intel Macs, they use different HD formating types too... Intel Mac won't boot a PPC Mac formatted HD...
    Dunno about having uncompressed files, I guess for real big, proper systems you would want CD quality sound, but every gig I've played w/ microwave I've never noticed a difference (with good MP3s of course)
    Peace
    Zeb