Trouble in Paradise

ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Daniel Rocha shooting:http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=3457439&nav=0s3dasu5http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=139204Midtown fire:http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/?SecID=278&ArID=133654Jesse Lee Owens shooting:http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/?SecID=278&ArID=98272http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2004-03-12/pols_feature.html"On one side of the city where it's Justin and Britney, cops'll look at you pretty, crack a joke and be witty. But on the other side of town, where they slow down they 50 Cent, the tension, you feelin' it cause your guilty 'til innocent. ... Look at the way he watch me, he ain't turn his lights on or pull me over when he got me. He ain't even stop me, pulled up right beside me, on my driver's side, reachin' in my ride tryna pop me. Back on the other side of the city, it's little dilemma. They in the same clothes, similar truck, same spinners; the laws that let 'em make it, just manmade sinners that's able to raise Cain, discriminate us and kill us. The lawyers won't defend us for real without some millions. This one gon' pass before long so I stay strong." ??? Bavu Blakes

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    "Sick of getting pulled over by the cops for nothing at all, shit's gotta stop, tag's is up to date, what the fuck you trying to say? You got a report of a black male with a white shirt in Leimert, the car was a mug and somebody got robbed and you was just doing your job, and can I sit on the curb? Please, fuck you, man, you heard me, respect a muthafucka that's worthy, but y'all muthafuckas is dirty, respect when I give you the birdy, now I'm surrounded by thirty, y'all wanna put me on a gurney, but lawyer is hella nerdy, and before y'all pulled me over left a message on his cell phone, said if I didn't hit him back in ten, he could guess what the hell is going on, now here he is, Mr. Levine, go ahead intervene, pulled me over for not a thing but being black, now creating a scene, I think I'm getting a little stressed here, the tension combined with the fear, and I think we're gonna be in touch, yeah, who knows, a lawsuit might be near, glad, homie, you was on deck, that law school shit is the bet, man, you know these muthafuckas is something else when they go unchecked." - Ngafsh

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    "Sick of getting pulled over by the cops for nothing at all, shit's gotta stop, tag's is up to date, what the fuck you trying to say? You got a report of a black male with a white shirt in Leimert, the car was a mug and somebody got robbed and you was just doing your job, and can I sit on the curb? Please, fuck you, man, you heard me, respect a muthafucka that's worthy, but y'all muthafuckas is dirty, respect when I give you the birdy, now I'm surrounded by thirty, y'all wanna put me on a gurney, but lawyer is hella nerdy, and before y'all pulled me over left a message on his cell phone, said if I didn't hit him back in ten, he could guess what the hell is going on, now here he is, Mr. Levine, go ahead intervene, pulled me over for not a thing but being black, now creating a scene, I think I'm getting a little stressed here, the tension combined with the fear, and I think we're gonna be in touch, yeah, who knows, a lawsuit might be near, glad, homie, you was on deck, that law school shit is the bet, man, you know these muthafuckas is something else when they go unchecked." - Ngafsh

Don't drive a nice ride if you're Black in MilwauKKKee!!!! I get followed on the regular. I've had cops driving ahead of me in the next lane, slow to a crawl just to get behind me. I've even been questioned for a robbery after going up to a cop in my own apartment complex to ask what was going on (I had just come from teaching class, wearing a suit, mind you). I guess this partially explains the biopsychosocial model of discrimination, positing why Blacks are more hypertensive than Whites. We also, not surprisingly, exhibit higher scores on paranoid clinical scales as well. Racial profiling and harassment are real folks. Officer Bob is not a friend, he harasses, beats, and or kills us!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anyone that's a minority that's been to Austin knows it's one of the most racist places in America, hence my specific breed of Austin hatred. The salt in the wound is that Austin is painted as this place that all walks of life can move to and feel comfortable in. Sure, it's great if you're white. You can be a hippie, neo-con, nazi or whatever the fuck, but just don't be a minority at all in that city.

Anyone that's a minority that's been to Austin knows it's one of the most racist places in America,

Not even close...but good try.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Anyone that's a minority that's been to Austin knows it's one of the most racist places in America,

Take it from 'Chid!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Says the white guy.

Says the guy who lives in Austin. Says the guy who lives around the corner from Midtown. Says the guy whose Haitian in-laws all grew up in Austin. Says the guy who has lived in much more racist places.

Y'all are some petty folls sometimes. Scratch that...all the time.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Says the guy who lives in Austin. Says the guy who lives around the corner from Midtown. Says the guy whose Haitian in-laws all grew up in Austin. Says the guy who has lived in much more racist places.

But Nelly was born in Austin.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Haha!

This is, what, 10th time this shit has been posted?

This board is comedy.

Back on topic: cops suck.

-e

• i really hate austin cops.

i really hate austin cops.

Even worse are Williamson County cops. I know a man who was stuck in a traffic jam. When he reached the wreck that already had cops and paramedics on the scene, he noticed it was his wife's car that was all mangled up. For fear of not only his wife but also his 2-month-old baby who was riding with her, the man parked his own car and approached the scene only to have the cops coldly deny his access to what was going on. The cops couldn't care less that it was his wife and kid in the accident. Yet the man protested to the point that it took 10 Williamson County pigs to not only subdue him but beat him to the edge of his life. After spending time in jail and paying some hefty fines, all of his attempts to hold the cops accountable for their unjustified brutality have been thwarted.

But yes, in regards to APD...things are getting really hot here on the activist front, just in time for what should have been a Juneteenth celebration including a big Battle of the Bands event at Nelson Field this weekend.

Shoot, Daniel's brother was on the news last night making an announcement that "I want her to hear this, that I'm coming for her and sure enough justice will come down on her."

Many are trying to figure out how the cop was at legitimate risk of her own life, claining that she was about to be tazered, when Rocha was apprarently shot in the back.

You're part of the hypocracy of Austin, but eh... Whatever, you know more about racism than I, right?

You're part of the hypocracy of Austin, but eh...

Come again.

Whatever, you know more about racism than I, right?

No, I know a whole lot more about Austin as well as other places in the US that are more racist than Austin than you do.

Come again.

No, I know a whole lot more about Austin as well as other places in the US that are more racist than Austin than you do.

I'm not even gonna argue you homecut. It's not worth it and seriously, you're in no position to speak on my personal experiences.

Come again.

I'm not even gonna argue you homecut. It's not worth it and seriously, you're in no position to speak on my personal experiences.

At least explain how I'm part of the "hypocracy".

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Come again.

Hey Archaic,

Not that I can speak on the unique circumstances of Austin, but what I think Cashless is getting at is that what position is a White guy in to discern how racist a place is? The illusion of "no more racism" feeds still more racism. The blind spot that some White folks have about racism perpetuates it. Subconscious slights of minorities relative to non-minorities that (some) Whites are unaware that they emit allow them to deny their racist behaviors. Personally, I find that attitude very arrogant and ethnocentric. I feel what Cashless is driving toward.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Anyone that's a minority that's been to Austin knows it's one of the most racist places in America.

Try venturing 50 miles or so south to Wimberly. A whole lot more fucked up than Austin down there.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Uh dudes,

competitions over "where is it more racist" seems pretty pointless since I think most of us can agree - AMERICA, writ large, is pretty racist wherever you go. I could claim that Boston is more racist than San Francisco but it's not like S.F. is somehow NOT racist by extension. The issue here isn't degree - the very existence of racism itself is what is abhorrent.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Uh dudes,

competitions over "where is it more racist" seems pretty pointless since I think most of us can agree - AMERICA, writ large, is pretty racist wherever you go. I could claim that Boston is more racist than San Francisco but it's not like S.F. is somehow NOT racist by extension. The issue here isn't degree - the very existence of racism itself is what is abhorrent.

thank you. deaded.

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhh....Yeah you may know more than Austin, but I think a black person who lives in Austin is going to be able to be more aware of racism than a white person married to a black person. Yeah you probally do catch odd looks but I mean c'mon.

Come again.

Hey Archaic,

Not that I can speak on the unique circumstances of Austin, but what I think Cashless is getting at is that what position is a White guy in to discern how racist a place is? The illusion of "no more racism" feeds still more racism. The blind spot that some White folks have about racism perpetuates it. Subconscious slights of minorities relative to non-minorities that (some) Whites are unaware that they emit allow them to deny their racist behaviors. Personally, I find that attitude very arrogant and ethnocentric. I feel what Cashless is driving toward.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I'm the one who started this thread, remember? Austin definitely has some major race problems. That was my whole point for anyone who is interested to help us deal with.

But do I think Austin is anywhere near one of the most racist cities in America? Hell no, it's not even close and I stand by that.

Is Austin more racist than Vidor, TX?

Is Austin more racist than CordeLeone (sp), ID?

Is Austin more racist than Redding, CA or Eugene, OR?

Again, not even close.

All Cashless was driving at was that he has this card he plays every chance he gets in order to scare non-black rap fans into backing down from anything that he disagrees with. It may work on his weak, self-hating white friends (whom I could name if need be), but never that for me.

Uh dudes,

Yeah, my first response to Cashless was gonna be...leave it to you to overlook this sort of racist police brutality as a nationwide problem in order to once again express how much you personally detest Austin.

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhh....Yeah you may know more than Austin, but I think a black person who lives in Austin is going to be able to be more aware of racism than a white person married to a black person. Yeah you probally do catch odd looks but I mean c'mon.

When have I ever addressed racism as addressed towards me for marrying a Haitian woman? Never...because it's insignificant in light of folks getting beat and jailed for no good reason on the regular.

When I judge racism in Austin versus other places I'm doing it through what I've seen occur to minorites and what minorites have told me.

And Cashless frankly wasn't here long enough to know diddly squat about Austin.

When have I ever addressed racism as addressed towards me for marrying a Haitian woman?

dude you original quote pretty much read "I KNOW HOW IT FEELS". Am I missing something here?