Amsterdam/NL this week

tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I'm in Holland until the 1st. Wondering if any Strutters know what's good to get into while I'm here (besides the obvious, which will be attended to, rest assured). I've been to Holland many, many times, so I'm not interested in the tourist trappings.I got friends coming in on Friday for the weekend, but for now I've mostly been laying low, taking care of some work and visiting family. I will be here for Koninginendag, so I'm looking forward to that. I'm staying in A'dam in Oud West, but I'll be making stops in Rotterdam, Arnhem/Dieren and maybe Breda as well.Thanks as always in advance. ...

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Bro,

You are here for queens day.

dont make any plans, dont forget your keys and get ready for the biggest party you have ever witnessed.

Id say lets meet up, but once you see what queens day is all about, you will realise that that is just pointless.

dont overdo it on sunday night: monday will knock your socks off.

• This will actually be my second Queen's Day, altho admittedly, I don't remember all that much from the first one I went to five years ago.

Yeah, that shit is bonkers. I keep telling people, never underestimate the way Dutch people party. For serious.

Appreciate the tips tho. Noted about the keys.

• the best aera for cheap vinyl on Koninginnedag (Queensday) is Oud Zuid, behind Hilton Hotel. But go early, from 06.00h as there are many many hunters out for the game.

best choice for shops stocking secondhand vinyl must be Waxwell, Gasthuismolensteeg. Expensive but sometimes reasonably priced. Great great selection of funk, disco, jazz, soul, and assorted sounds. The owner tries to bring in the English collectors for Northern Soul so you'll find the ridiculously priced 45's next to the bargains... Ask for Taco, a friendly guy who gives great deals on multiple buys.

another good shop for secondhand vinyl is an antique shop on the river Amstel, near the Rembrandsplein. Next to theater De Kleine Komedie. You can't miss the shop; boxes of records outside. It's a basement filled with bric-a-brac and a huge selection of nice vinyl; all sorts. But in good quality and at reasonable prices.

some of the older established shops; Concerto Utrechtsestraat. Not as good as it used to be but worth checking out.
    and De Platenkoning, Hasselaerssteeg 12 near the Central Station also stocks some interesting stuff although overpriced imo.

good hunting!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    the best aera for cheap vinyl on Koninginnedag (Queensday) is Oud Zuid, behind Hilton Hotel. But go early, from 06.00h as there are many many hunters out for the game.

co-sign. Get out there early.
    But good records can turn up anywhere on Q-day.

And if you see a wedding in the Vondelpark on Saturday; Holla, because thats me!

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    check out record friend(s) @ the antonius bree straat
    its an overlooked shop to many.

dont only keep your eyes on your keys at queensday. also put some euro s in ya shoes. you wont be the first tourist victom to pickpockets.

and tabasko have a nice wedding i hope the weather is still great this weekend.

Get out there early.
    But good records can turn up anywhere on Q-day.

ill be up early....

Getting married on Queens day huh? thats cool.

Maybe ill see you in the park.

• Thanks all for the tips. Good idea about the euros in the shoes. I keep my wallet/id in an unusual place, fairly secured, but it never hurts to take precautions.

And Tabasko: gefeliciteerd!

• Tabasko: alvast gefeliciteerd - ik hoop dat jullie een mooie dag hebben!

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    I'm staying in A'dam in Oud West, but I'll be making stops in Rotterdam, Arnhem/Dieren and maybe Breda as well.

I suggest getting the hell out of Dieren a.s.a.p Nah but if you're in that area you can always take a stroll around the Veluwe park, it's pretty huge. Other than that, if you like huge crowds and moving around at 10 feet an hour, queensday in A'dam will suit you fine...

alan, volgens mij is t maandag kninnendag ?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    thanks guys!
    Its not on Queensday tho NZ, its on saturday..

Lefties Soul Connection also plays a gig in Amsterdam on Queensday, worth checking out!

oh yeah: ik ben de sukkel.

congrats man, i recieved a piece of advice at my wedding, and im honoured to pass it on:

Marriage is extension.

words to live by.

gefeliciteerd jongen!

Lefties Soul Connection also plays a gig in Amsterdam on Queensday, worth checking out!

WaaR ?

dope
    als ik op tijd mn bed uitrol gaat ik cker even koekeloeren.