Bobby Womack Autobiography

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
The one Terry Clubbup just brought this to my attention:Have any of you dudes read it? Pickwick?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Have not read it. Autobios tend to be self a grandising. Still I am sure that BW's story is fascinating. I'd like to read it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Autobios tend to be self a grandising.

You don't really think that "the greatest soul singer in the world" would indulge in self-aggrandisement, do you?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    indulge in self-aggrandisement
    poetry,
    im all over that.
    a new loc is born

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Thought it was real dope. Lots of crazy stories. The intro with him blappin his daughter in law was

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Thought it was real dope. Lots of crazy stories. The intro with him blappin his daughter in law was

Sounds like Bobby shouldn't have yielded to temptation.

But, you know: Everybody wants to fall in love after lookin' for a love and claim that they've got a girl. Nobody wants you when you're down and out, but Bobby was welcome, so he stopped on by. And hey, it's all over now; he made it alright. Man: I bet that you couldn't hear nobody pray across 110th street (until daylight) when he was checkin' it out, if you know what I mean.
    The only thing is: I hear the girl was one hairy hippie.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

But, you know: Everybody wants to fall in love after lookin' for a love and claim that they've got a girl. Nobody wants you when you're down and out, and Bobby was welcome, so he stopped on by. And hey, it's all over now; he made it alright. Man: I bet that you couldn't hear nobody pray across 110th street (until daylight) when he was checkin' it out, if you know what I mean.

I can understand it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hey, Faux Rillz...

Funny you bring this up, as I just found a copy in a used bookstore last Friday. I wasn't going out that night, so I just threw a CD on the player while I made myself comfortable with this book. Good late-night read, lotta sordid details and whatnot about his days hanging with Sam Cooke, Sly Stone and Wilson Pickett.

Have not read it. Autobios tend to be self a grandising.

Not really, Bobby owns up to his mistakes (including marrying Sam Cooke's widow and then having an affair with her daughter); he does not put a tuxedo on the naked truth. And what I just said about Bobby's affair (one of many) ain't no spoiler, because he tells the tale more vividly than I just did! He's not ashamed, but he doesn't seem proud either; he just tells it as it went down. Nothing self-aggrandizing here. The tone is more like Fred Wesley's book, which ratted on everybody including himself, rather than James Brown's, which naturally made him look like a saint.

Now let's just hope the damn thing comes out in the US, because at this time I think it is still just available in the UK. I just lucked up on it, myself.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Hey, Faux Rillz...

Funny you bring this up, as I just found a copy in a used bookstore last Friday. I wasn't going out that night, so I just threw a CD on the player while I made myself comfortable with this book. Good late-night read, lotta sordid details and whatnot about his days hanging with Sam Cooke, Sly Stone and Wilson Pickett.

Not really, Bobby owns up to his mistakes (including marrying Sam Cooke's widow and then having an affair with her daughter); he does not put a tuxedo on the naked truth. And what I just said about Bobby's affair (one of many) ain't no spoiler, because he tells the tale more vividly than I just did! He's not ashamed, but he doesn't seem proud either; he just tells it as it went down. Nothing self-aggrandizing here. The tone is more like Fred Wesley's book, which ratted on everybody including himself, rather than James Brown's, which naturally made him look like a saint.

Now let's just hope the damn thing comes out in the US, because at this time I think it is still just available in the UK. I just lucked up on it, myself.

I should mention that he tells these tales not with pride or embarrassment, but very matter-of-factly, with no attempt to put a three-piecehe just lays it out as it happened.

I need to read it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Not really, Bobby owns up to his mistakes (including marrying Sam Cooke's widow and then having an affair with her daughter)

Didn't dude marry Cooke's widow like a week after Sam was interred or something? The "turnaround" was fast if I recall correctly...

Not really, Bobby owns up to his mistakes (including marrying Sam Cooke's widow and then having an affair with her daughter)

Didn't dude marry Cooke's widow like a week after Sam was interred or something? The "turnaround" was fast if I recall correctly...

Exactly, which is why he was blackballed by the soul DJ's (many of whom were Cooke's buddies) for a few years before he started having hits.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

But, you know: Everybody wants to fall in love after lookin' for a love and claim that they've got a girl. Nobody wants you when you're down and out, but Bobby was welcome, so he stopped on by. And hey, it's all over now; he made it alright. Man: I bet that you couldn't hear nobody pray across 110th street (until daylight) when he was checkin' it out, if you know what I mean.

I can understand it.

Hey: Woman's gotta have it, and that's the way he felt about her.

Hey, Faux Rillz...

Haha... I knew you would know the deal.

Btw--I don't think I ever thanked you for putting me up on The Womack Live through a series of posts awhile back, but it has now become one of my favorite live records.

He was practically (or maybe literally) a teenager at that point and, from what I've read, it was really all her... sort of talking advantage of him.

I don't think I ever thanked you for putting me up on The Womack Live through a series of posts awhile back, but it has now become one of my favorite live records.

No one seems to know about this album (even though it was fairly big when it was released in 1970), but it definitely proved that the man is a monster on stage. Percy Mayfield's cameo on side two is off the fucking CHAIN.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

He was practically (or maybe literally) a teenager at that point and, from what I've read, it was really all her... sort of talking advantage of him.

Vagina Power

It went both ways. Bobby has said that during the whole time he was on the road playing bass in Sam's band, he couldn't get no kind of pussy, no how - not even Sam's leftovers.

That is, until Sam died...