HORRORCORE

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
This is/was by far one my favorite sub-genre's within Hip Hop. Way more creative than the "Gangsta" shit that it came out of. My boy has this theory that it didnt thrive because the Local Black Exp cant really embrace "Devil/Demonic" imagery and the like.Some might say cats just started to clone the "formula" and made wack shit. I felt like it was a great departure from the "Life of the Streets/Literalism" that is so common in the game. Yes, alot of it became st8 up clownish, but I'd like to think of this little "era" as an opportunity lost for Hip Hop.Just Babblin'. "HorrorCore" Inspired debut.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    bypassing the obvious gravediggaz:

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    does this count?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

This album was completely UNDER-RATED:

a lot of earlier big l was pretty horrorcorey, no??
    from the dark production, to the lyrics (devil's son in law)

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Naw maybe we have different definitions, but I've always seen horrorcore as the real fringe exploito stuff w/o any real hip-hop credentials. Like hip-hop you would market to a deathmetal fan.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Naw maybe we have different definitions, but I've always seen horrorcore as the real fringe exploito stuff w/o any real hip-hop credentials. Like hip-hop you would market to a deathmetal fan.

Horrorcore was "over" by the time Big L started his solo stuff. But he was carrying on the concepts w/o totally embracing the imagery.

• a lot of earlier big l was pretty horrorcorey, no??

INSANE CLOWN POSSE LOL

what was that group where one of the members got straight up cannibal on somebody? was it cosmic slop shop?

Ill add this. Rza then moved to the Gravediggaz after this.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Don't forget about this guy:

I love this album, but at the same time it makes you feel a little uncomfortable hearing about eating baby guts and shit like that.

Don't forget about this guy:I love this album, but at the same time it makes you feel a little uncomfortable hearing about eating baby guts and shit like that.

right. its like, when do you listen to an album like this?
    lets not forget necro. another "when do you listen to raps about slicing vaginas" type of rapper.

big l's early singles were out in 92/93, so he didnt really miss the boat. he wasnt a complete horrorcore but he def embraced the concept.

but method man? i cant see it.

it makes you feel a little uncomfortable hearing about eating baby guts

If its done eloquently.......

Don't forget about this guy:I love this album, but at the same time it makes you feel a little uncomfortable hearing about eating baby guts and shit like that.

lets not forget necro. another "when do you listen to raps about slicing vaginas" type of rapper.

big l's early singles were out in 92/93, so he didnt really miss the boat. he wasnt a complete horrorcore but he def embraced the concept.

Peripheral. Not really a HC artist but the darkness/gold fangs/torture shit ran right along w/ the movement.
    Choppin cats up w/ swords and stuff. Mr Sandman is spooky mood shit.

I think its safe to say the Get Boys jumpstarted the idea. They probably didnt perceive themselves as HC of course. I cant think of anyone before them to get that gully in that way.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I think you should play necro's get down on your knees at the strip club.

• is no one gonna mention Necro?? his first EP and the "i need drugs" LP were dead fun...

edit: oh... lots of people have mentioned him. bugger.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    My boy has this theory that it didnt thrive because the Local Black Exp cant really embrace "Devil/Demonic" imagery and the like.

I have always wondered what it is about the Local Black Memphis Experience that makes people more open to that.

See: Three-6 and the demonic voice on early Ball & G albums

My boy has this theory that it didnt thrive because the Local Black Exp cant really embrace "Devil/Demonic" imagery and the like.

I have always wondered what it is about the Local Black Memphis Experience that makes people more open to that.

See: Three-6 and the demonic voice on early Ball & G albums

That's a good one.

What about Mood-Doom? Were they "backpack"? If I recall there was some spooky shit on there.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

INSANE CLOWN POSSE LOL

what was that group where one of the members got straight up cannibal on somebody? was it cosmic slop shop?

Yup, that was Big Lurch from Cosmic Slop Shop.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Well, while Gravediggaz was definitely marketed towards - and
    very succesful among - suburban Metal fans, I don't think you
    can deny that it has pretty serious "hip hop credentials."

wasnt rza working on gravediggaz before wu-tang were even a group?

and lets not forget the icp offshoots twizded(?)

wasnt rza working on gravediggaz before wu-tang were even a group?

I know for one thing......

RZA Production before Gravediggaz Album < RZa Production after Gravediggaz Album.
    Prince Paul showed him some shit.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Cypress Hill used to refer to themselves as "horrorcore", but I really don't see it.

Cypress Hill used to refer to themselves as "horrorcore", but I really don't see it.

Maybe not entirely in content but in feel i can see it. They had that skull since day one.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Well, you have Necro as one of the more obvious dudes. After that, there are Texas guys like Gangsta NIP, some of that SPC/K-Rino stuff maybe, Chuckwick Bill, and unknown dudes like Insane Poetry.

RZA Production before Gravediggaz Album < RZa Production after Gravediggaz Album.

damn right.
    but then what happened?
    who showed him that digital shit?

damn right.
    but then what happened?
    who showed him that digital shit?

Robbie Analog

HorribleCore

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    necro. another "when do you listen to raps about slicing vaginas" type of rapper.

NSFW