What's the best version of Hi-jack?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I only recently "discovered" this tune - yes, i realise I have now acquired little dude status for life - but I am now realising there a quite a few versions of this number around.I've heard the Barabas version and I have a shitty budget aussie version too, and I hear Herbie Mann's is pretty good. But really though, is there are really, really good one to get? Skool me AKA paging Reynaldo (since it has a latin-y vibe)

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think the Barabas version is probably the best that I've heard.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I only remember the Herbie Mann version, i think I like it (I kept the 45, so it must be OK). Maybe there is an Enoch Light version? Don't know any others though off the top of my head.

I only remember the Herbie Mann version, i think I like it (I kept the 45, so it must be OK). Maybe there is an Enoch Light version? Don't know any others though off the top of my head.

Yeah Light has a version. That's the one that was used by the Beatnuts.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Yeah Light has a version. That's the one that was used by the Beatnuts.
    Cool, my memory isn't as patchy as I sometimes give it credit for

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

ahh what album is Enoch Light's version on? I'd like to hear that.

It's this one: DIsco Disque

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1231

Nice one mowtwn. Thanks for that.

So no other noteworthy Hi-Jack covers to speak of? Seams like the kinda track that might be on some $100 private jazz-funk or Latin record, not that I want to pay that much for it or anything!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've only heard two versions of "Hijack." I'm going with Herbie Mann's because, hey, he did have the hit...

(The other rendition I've heard was on some cheesy package called Disco '75, which was a collection of fake versions of then-current hits advertised on TV. Still turns up in used stores occasionally. Don't have the album, so I don't know who the artist is, if they were identified.)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've only heard two versions of "Hijack." I'm going with Herbie Mann's because, hey, he did have the hit...

(The other rendition I've heard was on some cheesy package called Disco '75, which was a collection of fake versions of then-current hits advertised on TV. Still turns up in used stores occasionally. Don't have the album, so I don't know who the artist is, if they were identified.)

That's the Enoch Light LP.

Additionally, Herbie Mann is vastly underrated. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I vote for Herbie.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Additionally, Herbie Mann is vastly underrated. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Yeah, it's on at least 2 EL records.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Pretty sure he's talking about one of those Homestead exploito records... I know there's a version on one of them (I remember liking that version, and there was a Lowdown on that record too I believe). The Light has 'disco' in the title but not '75'

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Pretty sure he's talking about one of those Homestead exploito records... I know there's a version on one of them (I remember liking that version, and there was a Lowdown on that record too I believe). The Light has 'disco' in the title but not '75'

On both Disco Disque and Big Hits Of The 70s.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Pretty sure he's talking about one of those Homestead exploito records...

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I sincerely doubt if Enoch Light was involved.

I know there's a version on one of them (I remember liking that version, and there was a Lowdown on that record too I believe).

Somehow, I don't think so, as this album would have come out at the tail end of '75 and "Lowdown" was well into 1976. But Homestead/TNJ used to put out one or two of these albums a year, so "Lowdown" could have been on another of those elpees.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    theres nice edit that extends the drums that came out on that supreme edits record label.Not sure what version they used though.

Got any more details on that edit. What volume of thr series is it and whats are the other tracks on it? I might have to hunt that down.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Its Tangoterje this guy from norway. Its on Supreme Edits no.2. Edits include i get lifted, Im the chief, hijack and nightrider. He put out a record on gamm as well.

• cosine...that's a hot record. rest of supreme edits is not to shabby either.