Seu Jorge

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
AKA "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" related. Meaning I saw this shit last night and I don't understand why it kind of got hated on by people who are into Wes Anderson. I thought the movie was great (although I'll haveto watch it several more times to see where it fits in the standings against Tennenbaums, Rushmore, Bottlerocket...Anyway, my point is I really think that WA has a gift when it comes to how he uses music/score to move the film along, and the symbiotic relationship between the aural and the visual in his films. Now I'm not saying he's Scorsese, but there are some truly great moments in dudes films. Secondly, Mark Mothersbaugh. Please, people, REK-O-NIZE. However, my real point. Dude is good with teh whole theme thing with the films. Rushmore with the mod shit, Tennenbaums with the VU shit, and now Life Aquatic with the Bowie...... but it's not the Bowie joints that really put me on. It was KNOCKOUT NED's versions of the jawnies. Dude was killing that shit for real. What's dude's deal? Didn't know dude was an actual recording artist and whatnot... Saying though, them shits is tough, that fucking version of whatchmacallit... Rebel Rebel. Real raw, mayng. Like make that shit happen, son. So anyway, man I love it when you don't know something and then you do. Say word to that.

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    word

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    agreed. i thouroughly enjoyed this flick.

and seu jorge droppin all the bowie tracks in portugese. pure class.

it seems like people either loved this joint or just hated it.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    word.

The Criterion Collection release has Seu Jorge performing ten songs that appear throughout the movie in their entirity on DISC 2. It's good to through on during those house chores.

I hope to see more of this guy.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Save money and buy the soundtrack.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The potential of TLA was not realized. While Wes Anderson has a golden touch with soundtracking, I felt that he made fool's gold out of Moby Dick. Granted, I thought that he brought Melville into the 21st century fairly well, but I felt absolutely no catharsis over the redemption of Steve Zissou the character. Uninspired performance.

I'll fully agree with you on the gleeful interpretations of Bowie. In fact, I recently purchased a classical guitar and have been using Seu's interpretations as inspiration.

Life on Mars?[/b]

It's a god-awful small affair
    To the girl with the mousy hair
    But her mummy is yelling "No"
    And her daddy has told her to go
    But her friend is nowhere to be seen
    Now she walks through her sunken dream
    To the seat with the clearest view
    And she's hooked to the silver screen
    But the film is a saddening bore[/b]
    For she's lived it ten times or more
    She could spit in the eyes of fools
    As they ask her to focus on
    Sailors fighting in the dance hall[/b]
    Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
    It's the freakiest show
    Take a look at the Lawman
    Beating up the wrong guy
    Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
    He's in the best selling show
    Is there life on Mars?
    It's on Amerikas tortured brow
    That Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow
    Now the workers have struck for fame
    'Cause Lennon's on sale again
    See the mice in their million hordes
    From Ibeza to the Norfolk Broads
    Rule Britannia is out of bounds
    To my mother, my dog, and clowns
    But the film is a saddening bore
    'Cause I wrote it ten times or more
    It's about to be writ again
    As I ask you to focus on
    Sailors fighting in the dance hall
    Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
    It's the freakiest show
    Take a look at the Lawman
    Beating up the wrong guy
    Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
    He's in the best selling show
    Is there life on Mars?

Fits the movie's themes, as well.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    man I'll take a late pass on this one, I finally just saw this movie a couple of nights ago too. Great soundtack once again, dope movie all around. I think people may have hated on this one cuz they had such high hopes after Royal Tenenbaums. Wish I would've seen it in the theatre now, oh well.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    the stop-motion fish were hillarious.

this dude was great, too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey dude.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    hiyeee!

• dj_netadj_neta 166 Posts
    word.

The Criterion Collection release has Seu Jorge performing ten songs that appear throughout the movie in their entirity on DISC 2. It's good to through on during those house chores.

what is it about the portuguese language that makes you wanna clean?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well i've gone to being completely unimpressed by anderson with bottle rocket & rushmore (most overrated movie of the last 10 years) to kinda intrigued with tennenbaums (which gets better everytime i see it) to flat out loving The Life Aquatic.

TLA was like a Tin Tin adventure come to life...

word.

Good call. I like to have it on all the time. And glad I don't have to buy the soundtrack.

word.

Good call. I like to have it on all the time. And glad I don't have to buy the soundtrack.

well, no. i wasn't cosigning. what i meant was: why do you like to clean when you hear portuguese? muitos pessoas gostam fazer outras coisas mais "sexy."

word.

well, no. i wasn't cosigning. what i meant was: why do you like to clean when you hear portuguese? muitos pessoas gostam fazer outras coisas mais "sexy."

Oh I see...didn't you know that Seu Jorge is the patron saint of cleanliness?

wow, olhar nesse brilho!

• You should check out his 'Cru' album, totally nailing the international singer songwriter / actor game right now. A friend saw him live recently, and apparently it was CRAZY, incredible atmosphere, crowd going buckwild, played a nice long set, etc etc.

the guy's got charizma
    James

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Portuguese music makes me want to hang myself. In a good way! (Whaddup Chuck?)

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Hahahaha! I cry now....

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

You should check out his 'Cru' album

Soon to be...

[color:blue]Out Of Stock: Hit the 'Send Request' button to receive an email notice if the item comes back in.[/color]

the dark side of the festa

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    His album Carolina is also worth picking up.

Portuguese
    music makes me want to hang myself. In a good way! (Whaddup Chuck?)

Indeed. I was thinking of her when I recently went through an archive of thousands of Portuguese images/notes.

Lisbon, circa 1919

And speaking of the Portuguese inspiring work...[/b]

Portuguese Child Labor:
    Photographs from the records of the National Child Labor Committee (U.S.)

Portuguese mill girls

Crowded tenement used by cranberry pickers ("Bravas") or black Portuguese. Location: Wareham, Massachusetts.

Manuel Ferreira - Portuguese - 15 yrs. 27 Whitter St. Sweeper - Fall River Iron Works. In Sunday clothes. Carving class at King Philip Settlement. Location: Fall River, Massachusetts

Spinner. Location: Fall River, Massachusetts

John Silvra, 64 Wooley St., 15 year old doffer. Borden Mill. Location: Fall River, Massachusetts

Provincetown, Massachusetts. Aboard the Frances and Marion, a Portuguese drag trawler, fishing off Cape Cod.

A few Portuguese that repped the Bay back in the day...[/b]

Bella Sumares is the comedienne of the group of Portuguese who put on an hour radio program daily over KROW in Oakland, California. Miss Sumares was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts; her parents were born in Madeira, Portugal. Miss Sumares says "I like to sing all sorts of songs, both American and Portuguese. The Portuguese are a singing people and we have all had many things to sing about and to be happy about in this country"

San Leandro: Mrs. Mary N. Silveira, who is managing editor of the Portuguese Journal, was born in the Azores Islands. She and her husband have owned and published this Portuguese paper since 1917. Mr. Silveira has been sick for the last five years and Mrs. Silveira has been in full charge of the paper. "Through the medium of this Portuguese language newspaper, we are able to reach those older members of the community and state who have not learned the English language. Many of those people speak English, but as far as the written language is concerned we have been mostly interested in giving to the Portuguese a full coverage of local, national and international news because we believe that by this way the people of Portuguese descent become better citizens of the United States." says Mrs. Silveira.

Evening recreation of the "Young Holy Ghosters" - Ages 15 - 25, average is 18 - all mill workers - all Portuguese.

And speaking of the Portuguese inspiring work...[/b]

Miss Sumares says "I like to sing all sorts of songs, both American and Portuguese. The Portuguese are a singing people and we have all had many things to sing about and to be happy about in this country"

my great aunt was telling me stories yesterday (my mom translated) about her and my grandmother and their first years in Manteca after immigrating. she said she missed home so terribly that she had a "nervous stomach" for nearly three years -- aches, vomiting, no appetite, depression. ("nervosa" or pesticydes?) my grandmother, she says, missed the island somethin' terrible too... so as not to disturb her babies -- my mother and my aunt -- she'd wait until they were fast asleep in another room and she'd crawl into her own bed, "wet one side of her pillow with tears, then flip it around to the dry side so she could sleep." "cada noite... para anos."

yeah, real shiny happy people.

thanks for the documentation. momz is gonan flip over those pics!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wareham still has a big Portugese population, as does Hartford CT.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

my great aunt was telling me stories yesterday (my mom translated) about her and my grandmother and their first years in Manteca after immigrating.

manteca, cali?

anyways, this is all making me hungry for a plate lunch with them portigi snausages. oh, and not to be a downer, but there seems to be something left out as far as the connection between the fall of the hawaiian kings and the portugese conquerors...

my great aunt was telling me stories yesterday (my mom translated) about her and my grandmother and their first years in Manteca after immigrating.

manteca, cali?

the very one.

oh, and not to be a downer, but there seems to be something left out as far as the connection between the fall of the hawaiian kings and the British & U.S.[/b] conquerors...

the "portigi"s mainly labored in Hawaii. oh, and "cadoodled" with the natives.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Wareham still has a big Portugese population, as does Hartford CT.

Newark NJ too

anyways, this is all making me hungry for a plate lunch with them portigi snausages. oh, and not to be a downer, but there seems to be something left out as far as the connection between the fall of the hawaiian kings and the portugese conquerors...

EAT UP SHIGGER![/b]

New Bedford, Massachusetts. Lingucia (Portuguese sausage) factory.

EAT UP SHIGGER![/b]

New Bedford, Massachusetts. Lingucia (Portuguese sausage) factory.

now all it needs is some kimchee, rice, and a fry egg, bruh.

and neta, really? i mean, i dont know the history too well, but i really cant imagine a european country in that time being as benign as to just labor and canoodle. i mean, of course the real culprits are the americans and the brits. its their MO. plaese to educate me.

ps

is there a portugese population in manteca? that's close to home.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    There are big portuguese communities in Toronto and Montreal, too. Last weekend seemed to be some kind of Portuguese party. Anyone know why there was so much portuguese immigration? I admit to not being so hot on Portuguese history...

and neta, really? i mean, i dont know the history too well, but i really cant imagine a european country in that time being as benign as to just labor and canoodle. i mean, of course the real culprits are the americans and the brits. its their MO. plaese to educate me.

ps

is there a portugese population in manteca? that's close to home.

oh, no. portugal was not benign. they originated that colonizing shite. brazil, mozambique, mac??o, angola. they weren't shy.

here's the thing...unlike the british, but a lot like the spanish, portuguese colonizers saw nothing wrong with integrating and intermarrying with native populations. easier to convert to Catholicism, right? (unlike the Brits, Iberian colonizers wanted their slaves to have religion.) historians tend to view Portuguese colonizers as less "brutal" for these reasons. plus Portugal had been colonized by the Moors (more canoodling) and have long been in the shadow of its much larger Latin neighbor... and are generally some of the darkest complected of the European peoples... so more reasons to misconstrue Portugal as the sweet sad little underdog.

don't get it twisted. we conquered and plundered just like the rest of em.

Hawaii is another story tho. And so is Azorean immigration.

awesome! thank you.

which reminds me...

courtesy of johnbolaya