Andrew Hill passed away (sadness related)

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I just recieved this email:"I've been asked by composer and pianist Andrew Hill's family to announce to the press that he died at 4 a.m. today, April 20, 2007, several years after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He was 75 years old and lived in Jersey City, NJ.Hill, born June 30, 1931 in Chicago, Illinois (contrary to some previously published places and dates dates), had a lengthy international career as performer and recording artist, and educator (at Portland State University; he also gave master classes at New York University, and elsewhere; he leaves a voluminous and highly varied recorded legacy, dating from the 1950s (So In Love) to his 2006? trio album Time Lines (Blue Note), named to many critics' top ten lists. Hill is survived by his wife Joanne Robinson Hill, and a neice, nephew and cousin, besides a devoted coterie of friends, typically creative artists and perceptive fans.As announced on April 11, Andrew Hill will receive an honorary doctorate of music degree from Berklee College of Music at commencement May 12; other honorees "for their achievements in the world of music, and for their enduring contributions to American and international culture"?this year are Gloria and Emilio Estefan, and The Edge; this distinction has perviously been extended to Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente, Quincy Jones and Ahmet Ertegun, among a few others."

Comments

• I just heard about this too. Real sad news. Was listening to Point of Departure a lot this past week to get me through exams.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Damn. RIP

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Damn, been listening to "Judgement!" a lot lately.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Damn. RIP

One of the living giants of the piano is gone. A singular musician. God bless Andrew Hill.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Damn. RIP

One of the living giants of the piano is gone. A singular musician. God bless Andrew Hill.

"Black Fire" is that good shit

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Damn. RIP

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Illusion

Rest in Peace

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Terrible news, rest in peace..

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Damn. RIP

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Illusion

Rest in Peace

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP. Rarely played in Portland when he lived here because clubs here pay next to nothing. Other Portlanders who choose to do most of their perfoming else where are Nancy King, David Frishberg, Nate Phillips, Marlon McClain (Pleasure)...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    one of the greatest...he will be missed.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    R.I.P. One of the greats

• Rest in Peace I am happy he lived a happy life