Keb Darges Rocakbilly fetish

DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone else seen Keb play recently and been subjected to a large percentage of rare rockabilly thrown in with some of the sickest rare funk i have ever heard. We did a night last saturday and drew 400 people to a remote hall in the middle of the bush to hear keb and our local djs play. I copped a lot of heat from the partygoers about the rockabilly being dropped. People were starting to get real pissed off and he would berate them with "If you dont like this music you are a fucking twat". I actually enjoyed Keb as a bloke, he is larger than life in many respects but i think he may be flogging a dead horse by trying to turn the world onto Rockabilly and particularly playing it to a crowd that really came for the funk. Our next flyer for our next funk night will have "Guaranteed 100% Rockabilly free" written in large text on it.

Comments

• yeah, I wasn't really feeling the rockabilly either when he came through here before easter - thankfully that part was real short, hope you didn't get the extended set !?!

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    I probably saw the same set as you hugh. While the rockabilly wasn't bad per say, it just didn't have anything on the heat he was dropping in the funk domain.

• Miss Libertines?

will have to try put a face to the name sometime Boris

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    This must be his most recent lust... ...as we proceed into moder allthatwhateveryoucallIT!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yous are haters, if yous diss rockabilly you're just dissing yourself. You should all start dropping rockabilly in your funk sets now! Because you know in 3 months time it'll be the latest thing.

PS. True story, I play on 45 nights most months here in AK & because I have been into rockabilly for ages as well as soul/funk etc. I often get groups of my friends that are in to rockabilly coming along to say hi & I often keep some rockabilly 45s in the box to spin for them, cracks me up. I really enjoy that stuff but it does get some strange looks from people there for the funkyblackmansoul. It does go down real well at the gigs I play with local rock bands, but then you can basically play anything those nights.

PPSS: I'm still really gutted Keb didn't make it here.

• ha, holmes with his 3 hundred million 45s

re: keb and auckland, trust you saw the thread in the announcements which mentioned that a lil?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah bro, I saw the announcements, sucked the biggie. And, c'mon dude, I don't have that many 45s really, I think you are exaggerating. I know I've seen at least one guys collection here in Auckland with more than me.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    He gave us an extended rockabilly set but played enough funk to not have a revolt maybe 10% of the crowd really enjoyed the rockabilly. I could quite happily listen to in in the car or at home but most of the crowd and myself weren't feeling the rockabilly.
    The night we do has been getting really good crowds and I have been in damage control today apologising to a lot of partygoers I have seen around town.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    [ If you dont like this music you are a fucking twat.

I am a fucking twat!

[ If you dont like this music you are a fucking twat.

I am a fucking twat!

I actually found it a little funny as I had consumed a dope cookie and kinda saw it as a performance art piece. It did though make me really appreciate the funk when it was dropped.
    He manages to get away with the banter because he just loves taking the piss out of people and likes getting them stirred up. I dont know if I could get away with in my sets but I might get a bald wig and practice my scottish accent and do some Keb Style banter "This song is the greatest fucking song in the world and if you dont like it you can fuck off."

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Rocabilly? LIke the stray cats or something? That shit blows.

So does 99 percent of rare funk though, so what do ya know.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    "This song is the greatest fucking song in the world and if you dont like it you can fuck off."

Dude... Billy Connoly has already started DJing and has pretty much cornered the market on this practice.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    rockabilly can be dance music - 'boppers' 'rockers' & so forth, but playing it might work more seamlessly in a R&B / mod context - rather than a funk one - not that he probably cares.

funk attracts a bunch of beathead types who are into a later sound - it's a social phenomenon really.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    social phenomenon

my word(s) of the day.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I simultaneously find the UK's fascination with both soul and rockabilly strange and understandable...I mean both genre's heat is 45 only, so there is that collectro aspect...the majority of the heaters come from the Amercian south, so the fetish thing is covered...but at the same time I cant stand 99% of rockabilly...there are some instro's I like, but the hiccupy vocal crap sounds like nails on a chalkboard, and the square-ass rhythmn gets boring no matter how fucking fast its played. I think it is against the law in Memphis to hate rockabilly...so that makes me a fugitive. Fuck rockabilly.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Tropicali Baby is good.
    Keb should listen to the OJays and Give the people What they Want.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I simultaneously find the UK's fascination with both soul and rockabilly strange and understandable..

Your (UK) friends sound white.

But seriously, it's the same in the US, liking deepfunk is a ven diagram, with an overlap in the middle of ex/lapsed/confirmed punk rockers who never liked rap before Wu-tang, and grown up hip hoppers who never liked rap after Wu-tang. It's the current definition of Crossover.

But fuck rockabilly at a club, that's like the new internet coffeehouse music now that everyone and their mother knows Ethiopiques and Can. Awaiting the Keb Tom Waits set. "Yeeee dooooon knoooooo how lucky yeee arrrrrre!"

social phenomenon

my word(s) of the day.

rockabilly at a funk night chafes up against the crowds 'lifestyle choices' & expectations

'billy fans grease their hair into pompadors & wear banlon shirts

funkers probably wear hoodies, 'vintage' nikes or whatever.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    social phenomenon

my word(s) of the day.

rockabilly at a funk night chafes up against the crowds 'lifestyle choices'

'billy fans grease their hair into pompadors & wear banlon shirts

funkers probably wear hoodies, 'vintage' nikes or whatever.

Skateboards, hoodies and wallet chains = swings both ways.

wallet chains

nice one!

the universally beloved wallet chain.

ugh.

The only thing the two genres share is collectro rareness
    Popsike Rockabilly prices

But maybe Keb is just sick of playing funk for 30 years and obviously wants to share his passion for rockabilly but I wish he didn't do this at one of our nights.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

So does 99 percent of rare funk though, so what do ya know.

stray cats arent wack. not saying i know any of their songs really but theyre not bad.

...that also is not what rockabilly music is.

dude... you hate on music too much. next time youre up here were going to blaze and im going to subject you to my collection of appalachian folk LPs and 50s country tunes. gotta find you some farmer boys 45s and bring the hillbilly out of ya.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

For a second I thought I had passed out and woken up in a Lupe Fiasco dis thread.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

For a second I thought I had passed out and woken up in a Lupe Fiasco dis thread.

I was actually thinking of starting one after hearing his verse on Musiq's "Buddy" this morning. WORST CAMEO ON AN R&B JOINT EVER.

Unfortunately, the lyrics don't seem to be available online.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I was actually thinking of starting one after hearing his verse on Musiq's "Buddy" this morning. WORST CAMEO ON AN R&B JOINT EVER.

Why did he do this?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Why did he do this?

I don't know. Somebody needs to explain to this clown that different isn't always good. Particularly when "different" consists of approaching girls at the club and telling them that you're celibate so you can focus on designing streetwear.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Why did he do this?

There should be a graemlin for this. Disappointing follow-up projects, appearances and career decisions for days.

approaching girls at the club and telling them that you're celibate so you can focus on designing streetwear.

ewww.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Anyone have that KD Boogie/Disco mix that someone posted a little while back?

I slept very hard.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I can always tell that somebody doesn't know a damn thing about rockabilly if the only name they can come up with is either the Stray Cats or Brian Setzer.