A store called Ghetto Records?

BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
One step closer to having seen it all... Anyone ever been to this place or know the story? d

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    that's fucking dope. what record?

$5 back then, must have been a hot 12! sayin

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    that's fucking dope. what record?

X-mas Rappin by Kurtis Blow. Rare record? 1979 -- my DJ friend claimed this was actually one of the ten or so first rap records, but I didn't believe him.

it was. but i'm not a huge fan. you should switch that sleeve to something finger burnin' rare. it'll be r secret.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    One step closer to having seen it all... Anyone ever been to this place or know the story?

d

There was an early seventies salsa label called Ghetto--the logo was a (feline) cat playing congas on two garbage cans.

• chrischris 287 Posts

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    $5 back then, must have been a hot 12! sayin
    I don't know, most 12's I buy that have original stickers on 'em it's somewhere between like $2.98 and $4.98. And this would be stuff that was bought new in like '79 -> '84. Now it could be that no one acctually paid that for 'em, all the promo 12's I pick up now have like a $7.99 price tag on them from whatever record pool they came from, but they get priced like $2.99 at the store.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    records must have been a fuggin luxury back in the day...I recently learned that the suggested retail price on an LP in 1970 was $6.98!!! 7 1970 dollars was a fuck load of money..considering minimum wage was less than a dollar back then...shit you would have to work over 10 hours to buy a record! and some of you fools complain about shit being more than a dollar

my bad, did a little research...minimum wage was a $1.60 in 1970...but still working a half-a-day for one record, but then again if you compare minimum wage to a full price CD it is about the same. shit, but 7 bucks in 1970 seems like a lot still...considering I found the mortgage contract for my folks first house they bought in '66, The payment was $117 a month!

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    i go there often what you wanna know bout it...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

This is damn tough-lookin??!

Got soundclipraer?

- J

• hey Soulrez..nice RISK fr8 in the avatar

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

Um, where is it, what's the phone number? Is it really called Ghetto Records? Is the place got any raer rackords, that kinda thing.

hey Soulrez..nice RISK fr8 in the avatar

yeah man, that was back! risky, charlie, strip & myself did a little valley mission, miss that shit!

peace

Um, where is it, what's the phone number? Is it really called Ghetto Records? Is the place got any raer rackords, that kinda thing.

ghetto records is a waste, i go in there for amusement only, dude still has 15-20$ prices on BEAT ASS thriller lp's, 80$ for a funkadelic LP w/ a spraypainted on cover...
    he been around for years, in the early days like 89-90 we used to cop mad heat off dude, but now its a joke of sorts, i havent bought shit there in over 13yrs if that helps...
    pm me ill give you the 411...

peace