CONCRETE IS ONLY $100 A YARD!

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Delivery is only another $100!!! This means I can get my slab done for like $500 + some wheelbarrowin' help from friends. A lot easier and quicker to push wheelbarrow loads than the lift 90 80lb bags into a mixer. The addition is underway...

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Delivery is only another $100!!! This means I can get my slab done for like $500 + some wheelbarrowin' help from friends. A lot easier and quicker to push wheelbarrow loads than the lift 90 80lb bags into a mixer. The addition is underway...

eBay that shit, dog. Buy low, sell high.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

Or like my pops and I did back in the day: Buy the Concreate and Motar bags and do the old school shovle mix, holy ish I think I'm goin to cry that ish sucked so bad, we did half the back yard and said f-that and called redimix.... Horrable that's why now I just try to pay if I can.... the hororrorr

• Delivery is only another $100!!!

Have it shipped Media Rate...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Buying yards of concrete on impulse? Arizonians ain't playing around.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    no impulse. The addition has been in the thinking stage for a few months now, it just got a little push this weekend. I'm adding on to the back of the house where the previous owners had enclosed a porch. So this weekend was my plan to replace the siding on the enclosed porch when I opened it up, the studs were super rotten and termite damaged (no live termites we do have a contract but the damage was done a few years ago aparently). SO I'm thinkin' well I can either spend some money re-doing this whole wall or I can just patch it to last through the monsons and get goin' on this addition. Once I'm done it's gonna get me a nice record room/family room about 15'X 15'. I've got my work cut out for me though as I'm doin' it all myself. Slab, framing, siding, drywall, electric... [color:white] ps it's Arizonans not Arizonians [/color]

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Rule #1

Make sure your patio slopes away from the house -- unless you've always desired a pool in your basement.

Rule #1

Make sure your patio slopes away from the house -- unless you've always desired a pool in your basement.
    not a patio and no basement in AZ. It's a slab for an addition to be constructed on top, level is the way to go in such a case.

• Options
    no impulse. The addition has been in the thinking stage for a few months now, it just got a little push this weekend. I'm adding on to the back of the house where the previous owners had enclosed a porch. So this weekend was my plan to replace the siding on the enclosed porch when I opened it up, the studs were super rotten and termite damaged (no live termites we do have a contract but the damage was done a few years ago aparently). SO I'm thinkin' well I can either spend some money re-doing this whole wall or I can just patch it to last through the monsons and get goin' on this addition. Once I'm done it's gonna get me a nice record room/family room about 15'X 15'. I've got my work cut out for me though as I'm doin' it all myself. Slab, framing, siding, drywall, electric... [color:white] ps it's Arizonans not Arizonians [/color]

Please do the wheelbarrow thing for your own sake. Mixing that amount dry concrette with a shovel would just about kill a man...besides the fact that your consistenc from bag to bag would be different and your slab would likely end up looking like a thousand Mrs Fields concrete cookies.

K.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    + some wheelbarrowin' help from friends to push wheelbarrow loads, lift 90 80lb bags

IN ARIZONA??....IN THE SUMMER??...you have great friends

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    they called them "ZONEYS" in san diego.

Just the wheelbarrowin' no lifting 'cause I'm gonna get the redimix delivered. I'll have the forms and shit all done and I'll just need the help actually getting the wet concrete from the truck to the slab site since there is no truck access to my back yard. I'm shotting for an early morning delvery so it should be ok temp wise. I'm providing plenty of beer, gatorade and food so people can get ripped b4 noon, take a nap and pretend it never happened.

• Options
    Just the wheelbarrowin' no lifting 'cause I'm gonna get the redimix delivered. I'll have the forms and shit all done and I'll just need the help actually getting the wet concrete from the truck to the slab site since there is no truck access to my back yard. I'm shotting for an early morning delvery so it should be ok temp wise. I'm providing plenty of beer, gatorade and food so people can get ripped b4 noon, take a nap and pretend it never happened.

Make sure it's as straight as a line as possible from the truck to the slab. Turning with that weight is a beeeatch for the back.

Uphill not fun either. I worked construction with a friends' family in high school and after and some days my job was running wheelbarrows of concrete all day!

K.

straight a line as possible for sure. The good news is I only need about 2.5 yards so that's only approx. 27 loads in a wheelbarrow, I'm tryin to line up about five strong dudes (only about 5 loads a person) so it should go pretty quick. My buddy just did a workshop for himself, 3 yards worth for the slab, and he did it all shovel/mixer he said it was fucking murder, so I'm def gettin' it delivered. Remarcably his shit looks great but he only saved like $200 vs. gettin' ready mix delivered.

• Options
    Yeah, it can be done if you keep working it, but the $ it saves you pales in comparison to the effort and risk of quality.

I don't work on a concrete truck, BTW

K.

Just ordered my concrete! 2.5 yards delivered @ 6am Saturday July 2nd = $375.25 and we get 45 minutes to unload!