Good 45s Sounding Warped or not Spinning

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what is the resolution?Since my laptop is on vacation I'm having to pull out the wax again (and my house is a mess from it). I was playing last night and some of the 45s sounded like they were straight warped - but the actual record was slowing down and then speeding back up! I've had it happen before where the turntable turns and the needle is on the record and the record just sits there not spinning! I thought maybe there is some heavy dust or something on the record that somehow caught the needle and holds it, but some of the 45s I played are failry new and kept in their respective jackets. Maybe some of them are slightly concave and there is little holding them to the slipmat? I don't know, sometimes they works, sometimes they no works. Has anyone else experienced this oddity? Are my needles too heavy? What is it the deal?King Ott.

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I would think your needles are too heavy. if you can adjust, see what happens if you take some weight off.

another thing you could try is taking off the slipmats altogether and use those rubber ones that came with.

ive had this happen and from what i understand, the friction of the needle is greater that that of the platter causing the needle to stop or slow the record much like dragging a finger on the record while its playing.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    some of the 45s sounded like they were straight warped - but the actual record was slowing down and then speeding back up!

I imagine you've already checked, but if the spindle-hole is off-center, the pitch will waver. If that's the case though, I don't know of any solution for it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    ive had this happen and from what i understand, the friction of the needle is greater that that of the platter causing the needle to stop or slow the record much like dragging a finger on the record while its playing.

Correct.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what is the resolution?

Since my laptop is on vacation I'm having to pull out the wax again (and my house is a mess from it). I was playing last night and some of the 45s sounded like they were straight warped - but the actual record was slowing down and then speeding back up! I've had it happen before where the turntable turns and the needle is on the record and the record just sits there not spinning! I thought maybe there is some heavy dust or something on the record that somehow caught the needle and holds it, but some of the 45s I played are failry new and kept in their respective jackets. Maybe some of them are slightly concave and there is little holding them to the slipmat? I don't know, sometimes they works, sometimes they no works.

Has anyone else experienced this oddity? Are my needles too heavy? What is it the deal?

King Ott.

i've had this happen to me only once, and it was with the Ed Robinson "Hey Blackman" 45. it happenned on part ii where he lets out a high-pitched wail, and the needle would slow down and stop dead right there, and the table would keep spinning. i think it was because the needle was so old though, and the high pitch made the friction difference enough to make it stop. it freaked me out though.

• some of the 45s sounded like they were straight warped - but the actual record was slowing down and then speeding back up!

I imagine you've already checked, but if the spindle-hole is off-center, the pitch will waver. If that's the case though, I don't know of any solution for it.

If you have a normal large 45 hole there is a very simple solution, tape one of those plastic adapters to one side, with the middle in the true center of the grooves.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If I forget to take my cellphone from
    my pocket before using my radio studio,
    it can cause the turntables there to slow
    down, speed up and even run backwards.

I learned this early on, when I placed it
    between two turntables and it started to
    ring, at which point the record playing on
    the air slowed to a stop and started playing
    in reverse. Another time it happened when I
    was standing next to the TT and the cel in
    my pocket started ringing. Poltergeist shit.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

hahaha, you should use your phone to mess with other DJ's in the radio station you don't like. You can hide your phone under the TT with the ringer on silent then call your phont when they are in the middle of their 4 hour mix and start fucking with them!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    My Rance Allen 'Just My Salvation' 45 sounds warped. It took a few listens for me to understand why the song sounded woozy. It's a little hard to separate exactly what I'm hearing, but I think it might be just the music and the vocals are fine. Either way, the whole thing sounds trippy in a sublminal way. I'm not sure if it's a weird/bad pressing or this is how the song goes or what. I've never seen another copy to compare.

I'm not complaining, it's a beautiful song as it is.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

thats wild. i've never heard/seen that happen!

i know its not the tuntable changing speeds though, i watch my lil dots. freaky though.

the bugged out thing is that it doesn't ALWAYS happen. i had literally just bought new slipmats on my way to the gig so, i suspect that has something to do with it, but i think the needle weight may be the answer. strangely though, i never adjust the weight but mostly they play fine, sometimes they drag. they seem to play fine at home, of course i haven't tested the new slipmats at home yet... anywho, thanks for the feedback.