Scoopy Rap / Patty Duke / Spoonin Rap

YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Scoopy Rap / Patty Duke / Spoonin Rap are all 1979 releases right? Are Sound Of New York catalogue numbers in sequence of their actual release dates? Did they really release the instrumental as an individual record after the first rap version? And how come that Spoonie Gee who delivers one of Hip Hop's most classic raps is biting rhymes from Scoopy? Or did Scoopy actually reproduce routines that had already been used live by others?Somebody fill me in, please.

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts
    I figure nobody on this board is really into Old School rap... ?

• Options
    YEah, but I don't have your answers.

K.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    nobody knows the answers to these questions...not even Peter Brown probably!

• YemskyYemsky 709 Posts

I'll remain hopeful.
    I read somewhere that there is a Peter Brown movie in the making to be released later this year. Anyone know more about that?

By the way: I just realised (well, read) that there are yet other versions of the Patty Duke groove called Family Rap by Family as well as Willie Rap by Willie Wood and Willie Wood Crew!?!?! True? Any more?

This is a brief statement from Spoonie Gee on the genesis of his version. Doesn't answer my questions though:

http://www.jayquan.com/spoonint.htm
    JayQuan: Your Uncle is Bobby Robinson (founder of Enjoy Record Label) , but you were signed to Sound Of New York Records owned by Peter Brown. How was it that you signed with someone other than your Uncle for your first release?
    Spoonie Gee: Peter Brown came to my Uncles record shop , he knew my brother (Pooche Costello) , and he told my brother that he was looking for a rapper for his label. My brother called me upstairs ; at the time I was living with my uncle and his wife which is my mothers sister , because my mother had died. I came down and met Peter Brown , he told me that we would go into the studio in a few days. We went in and made Spoonin???Rap in one shot. The next week the record was out , and the rest is history.

JQ: What's the correct spelling of your name?
    SG: The correct spelling is S to tha P double O N Y (Spoony) , later on I spelled it Spoonie. A mistake was made on the record and they called it ???Spoonin Rap??? , but it was supposed to be ???Spoonie Rap???.(Spoonie got his name from the fact that he always ate with a Spoon as a kid).

• Options

I'll remain hopeful.

I read somewhere that there is a Peter Brown movie in the making to be released later this year. Anyone know more about that?

By the way: I just realised (well, read) that there are yet other versions of the Patty Duke groove called Family Rap by Family as well as Willie Rap by Willie Wood and Willie Wood Crew!?!?! True? Any more?

This is a brief statement from Spoonie Gee on the genesis of his version. Doesn't answer my questions though:

JayQuan: Your Uncle is Bobby Robinson (founder of Enjoy Record Label) , but you were signed to Sound Of New York Records owned by Peter Brown. How was it that you signed with someone other than your Uncle for your first release?

Spoonie Gee: Peter Brown came to my Uncles record shop , he knew my brother (Pooche Costello) , and he told my brother that he was looking for a rapper for his label. My brother called me upstairs ; at the time I was living with my uncle and his wife which is my mothers sister , because my mother had died. I came down and met Peter Brown , he told me that we would go into the studio in a few days. We went in and made Spoonin???Rap in one shot. The next week the record was out , and the rest is history.

SG: The correct spelling is S to tha P double O N Y (Spoony) , later on I spelled it Spoonie. A mistake was made on the record and they called it ???Spoonin Rap??? , but it was supposed to be ???Spoonie Rap???.(Spoonie got his name from the fact that he always ate with a Spoon as a kid).

Yeah, Family Rap is over PAtty Duke. Found on the 12 or the Big Break Rapper Party LP (on both Queen COnstance and Sweet Georgis Peach labels). You've never heard the WIllie Wood?

As a result of the scene from an MGM musical, Spoonie cut "Spoonin' Rap" on SOunds of NEw York USA, one of Peter Brown's bewildering full hand of lables. It also appeared on an album on Queen COnstance Rcords called The Big BReak Rappper PArty and was remixed and re-released in 1984 on Heavenly star. For Brown (no the Peter Brown who recorded "Do You Wanna Get Funky With ME"), record production was a hustle amongst hustles. His other labels included Golden Flamingo and Land of Hits, the records freduently recorded classics of low-budget incompetence. If the label said 33 it was 45; singers sang and rapper rapped out of time; drummers lost the beat, and the sound was as garage as they come.

The Rap Attack : African Jive to New York Hip Hop, David Toop

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    as well as Willie Rap by Willie Wood and Willie Wood Crew!?!?! True? Any more?

Willie Rap is not the same groove as Spoonin Rap.

• Options
    It's Johnson Jumpin, no?

I'll check, K.

• Options
    Yep.

K.

• Options

I'll remain hopeful.

Sponie was raised right here in this house. Pooche Costello, the conga player, that's SPoonie Gee's brother. Their mother was my wife's baby sister and they live down the hall - same floor, last apartment. SHe died suddenly and SPoonie was 12, Pooche was about 14, and my wife took them in and gave them that back room there.
    He did his first rapping right in this room - wearing out my records! He'd sit over in that corner day after day. He'd play my records. My wife used to run him out of here sometimes. 'Get out of here with that noise. All day long with that yap-yap-yap'. He put together that very first thing he did in this room to my music but I was so involved at the time. I had three or four things going on. This guy, Peter Brown, he was in my record store one night and said "I'd like to cut a rap record", and somebody said "Spoonie can rap'.