Happy Birthday Herbie Hancock

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
April 12th marks the birthday of Herbie Hancock

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• word. I was just thinking about his music last week. Homeboys always keept it current and wanted to challenge himself musically and grow.

I'll selectively forget anything post 1980 with the exception of "Rock-It"

• I love 80s Herbie!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    who cares, AlGarth is about to like, totally get a negative, and you guys are just going on celebrating things like nothings wrong!!!
    the terrorists have won.
    happy birthday herbie h.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i remember really liking a song on future2future or whatever it was called

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    And the soundtrack to this -

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Happy B-day Hebert!

Rockit - oh yeah
    Watermelon man - word
    Cantelope Island - sheyit
    A quick sketch - i should play it tonight at the jazz spot

and on and on....

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i remember really liking a song on future2future or whatever it was called

I like the Carl Craig collab ("Kebero pt. 1 & 2") and the track with Imani Uzuri on vox ("Be Still") from that album.

Happy birthday Mr. Hancock.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I love 80s Herbie!

What I've always admired about Herbie Hancock is, he has never been afraid to embrace new technology. Can you imagine the same argument these "keep it real" dudes have about Serat0 being applied to him?

"Nah man, these synths aint keepin' it true dawg. I'm strickly rockin' this grand piano son!"

Aside from his incredible talent, that, I think, has been what's helped keep him relevant through the years.

Happy Birthday to another major influence on me. From scratching to keys, dude has been a part of almost everything I do.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    my favorite musician of all time... can't wait to get home and blast some of his catalog. wish i could buy him a drink today or something...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HERBIE!!! you are thae reason i started buying vinyl!![/b]

i seriously hope this guy lives to 100... he still tears the keys up when he plays live. and he is definitely the ONLY mufugga i'm ever forgiving for putting out a Starbucks album. VIVA HERBIE!!!

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    oh wait... today's still the 11th... DOH!@

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    oh wait... today's still the 11th... DOH!@

I wanted to follow the 'Happy Birthday _____' thread trend while they were still on the first page. All the April 11 B-days were lame

• I love 80s Herbie!

What I've always admired about Herbie Hancock is, he has never been afraid to embrace new technology. Can you imagine the same argument these "keep it real" dudes have about Serat0 being applied to him?

"Nah man, these synths aint keepin' it true dawg. I'm strickly rockin' this grand piano son!"

Aside from his incredible talent, that, I think, has been what's helped keep him relevant through the years.

Happy Birthday to another major influence on me. From scratching to keys, dude has been a part of almost everything I do.

I know, right!

Someone needs to sample that ridiculous computer beat at the beginning where they're talking about dotted 8ths.

Unless someone decides to post this after I mention it, I have some Herbie Hancock stuff from a 7-inch that accompanied the Fender Rhodes. It's much like YouTube video above -- Herbie showcasing the capabilities of the Rhodes using wah, wah-fuzz, and Echoplex. Then the Headhunters run through a track on "The Spook..."

• Someone needs to sample that ridiculous computer beat at the beginning where they're talking about dotted 8ths.

already did

i'm also feeling that glass of white wine Quincy finishes. It makes me wonder if he was getting faded during the session or after the cameras stopped they both started wylin' and making music.

• Someone needs to sample that ridiculous computer beat at the beginning where they're talking about dotted 8ths.

already did

Who?

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    best wishes watermelon man! aka mr hands

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    Say, he's playing in my area over the summer. When is the last time someone has seen him in concert? I just wonder what styles he plays these days. Has he gone back to straight jazz, does the dabble with any funk sets, does he play new material, or spend time on the classics?

I'm wondering what I could expect.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    Say, he's playing in my area over the summer. When is the last time someone has seen him in concert? I just wonder what styles he plays these days. Has he gone back to straight jazz, does the dabble with any funk sets, does he play new material, or spend time on the classics?

I'm wondering what I could expect.

i seen him in 05 and he played acoustic most of the show , but busted in to a Chameleon encore with this dope sick synth hooked up 2 a mac

would love to see him again sooN!

id say go no matter what

cantaloupe island !!

what show were u gonna catch? i see i may b able to catch the chicago and michigan shows in august

ely

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts

He's playing up at Robert Mondavi in Napa sometime in July. I suspect he may have some SF shows at that time, too.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

He's playing up at Robert Mondavi in Napa sometime in July. I suspect he may have some SF shows at that time, too.
    is Napa your area?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    TEARIN IT UP FOR THE TINY HEADS

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Ummm...anyone know what the fuck is going on around the 1:45 mark?
    All I can see is an ARP Odyssey but I have no clue how it's being controlled.
    Some Theremin-like controller using CV/Gate?

Does anyone know where this is available to buy? I see more and more people posting clips of it on youtube so it must be out there somewhere.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    TEARIN IT UP FOR THE TINY HEADS

i would give anything for a fairlight cmi.

happy...late birthday herbie!