Griffin - S/T Question

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
First off, I highly reccomend this record:1972, great southern rock with George Clinton on keys. Crazy string arrangements pop up out of nowhere in a perfect way, one of two releases to ever come out on MGM subsidiary Romar. The cover of Cloud Nine is a heater, and the whole album is very solid.But alas, I'm confused, because a) there is next to no information on the internets about this record and b) there are two other records I'm seeing that have the same band name, but I can't tell 100 percent if it's the same group.Example A: Griffin - I Am The Noise in Your Head Example B: Griffin - The World's Filled With Love Are these all by the same group? Please to break it down.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    one of two releases to ever come out on MGM subsidiary Romar

Three. The others were Hokus Pokus and a two-record oldies compilation.

There were also some singles (like Linda Carr's soul classic "Watch What You Plant In Your Garden") but that's another thread. No thread hijack meant, now back to the Griffin!!!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

1972, great southern rock with George Clinton on keys.
    Parliament George Clinton or the guy who played on Steve Davis-Music LP?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    one of two releases to ever come out on MGM subsidiary Romar

Three. The others were Hokus Pokus and a two-record oldies compilation.

There were also some singles (like Linda Carr's soul classic "Watch What You Plant In Your Garden") but that's another thread. No thread hijack meant, now back to the Griffin!!!

Thanks for clearing that up. I had the inkling there might have been singles released but haven't ever run into one. The oldies compilation was part of the negotiation for creating the label apparently, which was started by Bob Marcucci, the owner of Chancellor: Incomplete discography/history

1972, great southern rock with George Clinton on keys.
    Parliament George Clinton or the guy who played on Steve Davis-Music LP?

I don't know 100%, but the record really doesn't seem like George Clinton's style.

Bump. Do we still talk about records here?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Bump. Do we still talk about records here?
    Becky got Diamond D a Strait Razor with philly hand styles on it

I didn't say anything, because I thought it should have been obvious, but I figured that it had to be the OTHER George Clinton...the one who played in the band Timber (on Elektra) and had an album on ABC.

I didn't say anything, because I thought it should have been obvious, but I figured that it had to be the OTHER George Clinton...the one who played in the band Timber (on Elektra) and had an album on ABC.

That is not the question at hand. See the original question, I want to know if this is the band's only release or if either of those other two records is by them.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I have them both, or have had them both at some point. I can't find my copy of Griffin - The World's Filled With Love (I may have sold it) but it sounds nothing like the one of Romar. "The World's Filled With Love" was more pop-psych/garage, and is a better lp overall then the one on Romar, but nothing I'd suggest anyone go out and look for. I can't imagine paying $50 for it, I see it all the time for $5-$10. The 45 I have never heard, but if the description is accurate and it's "acid", "heavy" and "psych", then it can't be the same Griffin on Romar...lol. I'll be looking through LP's today for a small sale crate, so if I find "The World's Filled With Love" I'll confirm the band members for you, but my gut tell's me (from the music) is they aren't the same. I think the reason there is a lack of information about the Romar lp is simply because it's not rare, in demand or good. I respect your opinion however, so if you like it all the power to you. As I mentioned if I find the other lp I'll confirm the band members.

That is not the question at hand.

I know good & well it wasn't. I was answering that side trip about "which George Clinton." No hijack, just sayin'.

I have them both, or have had them both at some point. I can't find my copy of Griffin - The World's Filled With Love (I may have sold it) but it sounds nothing like the one of Romar. "The World's Filled With Love" was more pop-psych/garage, and is a better lp overall then the one on Romar, but nothing I'd suggest anyone go out and look for. I can't imagine paying $50 for it, I see it all the time for $5-$10. The 45 I have never heard, but if the description is accurate and it's "acid", "heavy" and "psych", then it can't be the same Griffin on Romar...lol.

Yeah, but then again there's a four-year gap between the ABC and the Romar. The average 1968 "heavy psych" band may have sounded different by '72, if they lasted that long.