Inventory Software

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
So I have to inventory everything in the office here, tons of parts and pieces, all kinds of crap. I could do this in excel or word, but wondering if anyone's used anything they'd recommend, where I could just say what im counting and hit a button a hundred times, I'm guessing the company would purchase something reasonable, but nothing crazy, and obviously something free would be great. Anyone got anything they like?

Comments

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I use Filemaker pro - it can handle simple stuff like my record collection and I've also seen it used for office inventory, bookkepping and Greg Calbi uses it for his mastering interface!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I use Filemaker pro - it can handle simple stuff like my record collection and I've also seen it used for office inventory, bookkepping and Greg Calbi uses it for his mastering interface!

And Walter Murch uses it to organize takes when he edits feature films like Cold Mountain.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Sounds good, looks a little pricey, but they might go for it. Having used it, do you think I can make it through this one inventory on the demo version?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yeah, we use Filemaker Pro at work. It's extremely versatile, and you can build your databases to include whatever you want and look however you want. Plus, you can take the same data set and devise multiple layouts for different uses and toggle between them.

I have no idea about the demo version, though. My skills are essentially limited to searching for files.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Sounds good, looks a little pricey, but they might go for it. Having used it, do you think I can make it through this one inventory on the demo version?

I don't know if I'd trust my inventory on a demo version. If it's important enough to catalog, why isn't important enough to shell out the dough for a real copy?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I hear you, they were talking about me doing it in google docs, i was just looking for a more effective way, asking for $300 software package could come off as lazy or wasteful, esp cause this is a relatively new job, nahmsayin....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I hear you, they were talking about me doing it in google docs, i was just looking for a more effective way, asking for $300 software package could come off as lazy or wasteful, esp cause this is a relatively new job, nahmsayin....

Yeah, I guess if you're only using it for inventory, Filemaker may be like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

Which is pretty awesome, but still, none too practical.