Record Collectors are prententious assholes!

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
from http://vice.typepad.com/vice_magazine/2007/04/record_collecto.htmlRECORD COLLECTORS ARE PRETENTIOUS ASSHOLES Now don't get me wrong, I'm into records as much as the next geeky dude who gets excited about a rainbow-splatter Bathtub Shitter lathe cut 5" that's limited to three copies worldwide. Sometimes however, things get just a little ridiculous in the weird world of vinyl obsessives...Today I got an e-mail from a mail-order record shop letting me know that as a valued, regular customer I could put in an advanced order for a copy of the new version of Altar, the Sunn O))/Boris collaboration.Pre-ordering something that's going to be popular is not weird. What is pretty off the wall is that this is (at my most conservative estimate) the 5th version of this record to be released in under a year. I couldn't help but cackle thinking that the kind of people who would buy this Japanese-only triple-vinyl pack would most likely own ALL of those other versions.This re-re-re-re-re-release is limited to 1000 worldwide so it obviously sold out on pre-order. Duh, what did you expect? For these guys, the words 'limited', 'O'Malley' and 'Japan-only' are like tantalising rocks just out of reach of a fiending crack-head.Have I mentioned yet that these records are selling at $140 EACH? So these guys are making $140,000 by selling nerds something they already own. It's like that bit in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels where they try and sell Rory Breaker's own skunk back to him at twice it's worth. Except this record won't get you stoned. Maybe Poison Idea were right all along.check some of these comments...CommentsFuck vinal. No really, all you tools need to stop circle jerking over redundant media. I have a portible media player -- 80GB. It can hold my entire music collection, in my pocket. Why are you cluttering up your room like it's some kinda fucking warehouse when we have technology like that? Oh, oh, You like the "warmness" of vinal? How about the warmness of my cock in your mouth.The only people who give a shit about vinal are the sort of losers who are like walking databases when it comes to music - save that shit for wikipedia, nobody cares. having a large vinal collection doesnt add to your credibility, stop cashing in on this obsession generation Y has with all things vintage....and breath.Posted by: Whiney McWhinefag | Apr 02, 2007 at 05:20 PM What's Vinal? Posted by: garbage dick | Apr 02, 2007 at 05:25 PM The way it should be spelt. Fuck y and its fake vowel-ness.Posted by: Whiney McWhinefag | Apr 02, 2007 at 05:39 PM that would be pronounced Vi-nal, as if it rhymed with a-nal... i'll be so happy the day your portable music player dies in the instant your harddrive gets formattedPosted by: Twatty McWhee | Apr 02, 2007 at 05:50 PM Hate the Sunn0))) crowd, but don't hate Aquarius records. I got that e-mail too, and just by being on their list, you know what you're in for. Also, fuck Boris, those fucks can't play for shit. Posted by: Pivbo | Apr 02, 2007 at 05:57 PM No, That would be changing the 'vi' from a "vai" to "vei" sound and that has nothing to do with the 'y'. But whatever, I like the idea of vinal rhyming with anal since thats what most of its collectors are.Posted by: Whiney McWhinefag | Apr 02, 2007 at 06:08 PM You are all a bunch of stupid cunts.Posted by: Ugh | Apr 02, 2007 at 06:43 PM the first guy is right. owning old shit is dumbPosted by: | Apr 02, 2007 at 07:20 PM HOBBIES SUCK. BUY A FLATSCREEN TV.Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Apr 02, 2007 at 07:45 PM Ummm, I have really no opinion either way. I have a bunch of vinyl, and no mp3 player. What i'm trying to say is that "breath", the way you wanted it to be used, is spelled "breathe". Suck it fatso!Posted by: ? | Apr 02, 2007 at 10:06 PM so why did vice put out a black lips 7" that was limited to 1000 copies and only sell them in the UK? you know there's (at least) another 1000 kids in the states that would want thisPosted by: | Apr 02, 2007 at 10:39 PM no one gets excited over bathtub shitter (read: generic grind) records. Unless your name is elliot lange, in which case you're retarded. Posted by: grindcore is over | Apr 02, 2007 at 10:47 PM Record collectors are quiet and mind their own business. However, if "pretentious" means 'having a heightened and mistaken estimation of the worth of one's opinion/behaviour' (and I think it does), then we can safely say some commentators right here are pretentious assholes. Posted by: calm down you stupid fuck | Apr 03, 2007 at 12:34 AM Records are awesome with their superior sound, big pretty covers and occasional picture-discness. This kind of shit in the article disgusts me since I was a victim of the early nineties superhero comics. Every month there was some new shitty comic with variant cover/gold foil embossed/holo foil/limited edition/special edition/numbered bullshit. And people thought that the record was valuable because the cover said it was AND it was shiny. It's like Seinfeld said,"They're a limited edition. They're limited to as many as we can sell." Posted by: NICHOLAS GAYZORRR | Apr 03, 2007 at 12:54 AM http://www.randomunreleasedrecords.com/Posted by: david hodgson | Apr 03, 2007 at 06:05 AM If you enjoy music as a thing in it's own right, then no form of media used to deliver it is redundant! If you like stuff, like most people out there, then yeah, records are crap and not new "stuff".I have no records by the way but it's pretty gay to compare anything to mp3s.Posted by: Tim | Apr 03, 2007 at 06:39 AM don't hate, start a record label. anyone can do it if theyre willing to be extra nice to the socially awkward hipster elite and shell out a few bucks.Posted by: james | Apr 03, 2007 at 06:40 AM Vinyl is superior to all digital formats for several reasons which I won't try and go into here. However, if people want to buy CDs and MP3s and sell off all their old records, as a collector, I couldn't be happier. Yes please, let me buy them from you for under a dollar at your garage sale. I already value them 10 times more than you do, so I may as well own them.Posted by: collector | Apr 03, 2007 at 11:03 AM Does anyone have any scientific, factual proof that vinyl is superior in sound quality to other newer formats, proving that this "superiority" they supposedly hear isn't just a subjective placebo effect propergated by elitist music douchebags? If so, please step up.Posted by: | Apr 03, 2007 at 11:40 AM here is the proof (with cds anyway). as revealed by an actual scientist. it must be true if the kids think it.http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Teens_consider_vinyl_superior_to_CDsPosted by: mp3s are killing sleeve art | Apr 03, 2007 at 12:14 PM That article was the equivolent of old people harking on about the 'good old days' -- old people were replaced with teens and the good old days with vinyl. Again, my 'elitist placebo effect theory' remains intact.Posted by: | Apr 03, 2007 at 02:24 PM Old thrash and death metal sounds better on vinyl, fuck all the gay re-mastered stuff. Burn in hell xxPosted by: DAVID LOMBARDO | Apr 06, 2007 at 12:19 AM soon all of the world will be reduced to a pile of smoldering ash. laid to waste. Posted by: cola | Apr 06, 2007 at 01:28 AM and when it is
all smoldering ash, people will bring out thier old grammophones and crank up those limited edition l.p's and all the survivors will have a big ole party and hipster kids will rule the worldPosted by: | Apr 06, 2007 at 01:43 AM "and when it is all smoldering ash..."wasn't that what the 90's were all about?Posted by: dead raver | Apr 06, 2007 at 06:12 AM vinyl is about the whole combination, not just the quality of sound. for me it's about the art of it, the feel of it, the possibility of mixing with it (fuck computer dj systems, they don't require any talent). you're a lot more free with vinyl. plus i just like the crackling sound before it plays. Posted by: vinylover | Apr 06, 2007 at 11:58 AM records don't have a superior sound. but they sure are cheap. unless you get in on the collector's side. i paid $40 for a henry mancini record once. i also paid 50 cents for my copy of jackson brown-runnin' on empty. just depends on what it's worth to you. circlemeetssquare.blogspot.comPosted by: fake dada | Apr 10, 2007 at 03:46 PM isnt that first dude a walking musical database anyway with all 80 gigs?Posted by: focus daily | Apr 10, 2007 at 08:01 PM aquarius records rooooooooooooools!!Posted by: lexi | Apr 10, 2007 at 10:45 PM Why is vinyl (vinal?) superior to cd/mp3? Well here's the easy reason: Recording audio works by having the sound go through a mic (typically) which is a cone of paper or plastic connected to a magnet sitting in a coil of wires. The movement of the magnet causes the electrons in the wire to move creating a changing current. With a cd this changing current is typically sample at 42kHz or 42000 times a second. Vinyl recording works by taking that wire, connecting it another coil of wire with a magnet in the coil connected to a needle which then vibrates carving a groove in the softened vinyl disc. In essence an infinite number of samples per second. But you can easily prove it to yourself by listening to the same recording back to back, one on high-fi cd, one on high-fi vinyl and then you be the judge. Personally I prefer vinyl. But I still love my mp3 player. I actually transfer a lot of vinyl to mp3 to listen away from home... Posted by: [email]lol@u[/email] | Apr 11, 2007 at 12:32 AM Another interesting and almost totally unrelated tidbit is that some audiophile discovered that one of the best sounding cd players ever is the original playstation 1. He says that it compares to $2000 cd players, but for it to really sound good you have to leave on for a couple days for the circuits to warm up. I know that sounds crazy, but if you ever worked with synths you'd know that they really do sound better after being on for hours. (google "playstation audiophile" to read more)Posted by: [email]lol@u[/email] | Apr 11, 2007 at 12:38 AM

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i really wanted to read all those comments but it's hard to take someone who can't spell serious...

[color:white] f*ck vice [/color]