Moving a piano

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Okay, I just bought a piano and I need to move it this weekend. I'm trying to find info on moving a piano but almost everything I read says I should get a professional piano mover. I have a truck but I need to get it up some stairs, into the truck and then from the truck to my room. I have to deal with about 10 steps at the pickup location and about 4 steps for my stoop. Anyone have advice or experience?

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    How odd...I just had to do this today. If it's one of the types thats flush against the wall, set up a thin guiding plywood ramp horizontally down the stairs with a couple of people, hopefully wearing boots or heavy shoes with tough rubber soles, on the other side making sure that no one slips and breaks something. If it's a grand piano, you might need to rent a crane operator. The spent money is better than a hernia, in my opinion. I can't help you with the driving except that a friend with a pickup, rope and a red colored rag might be better than shelling out good money just so it can delivered in an 18 wheeler.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    It's an upright piano. Not a grand. Are you basically saying you turned the stairs into a ramp by laying boards along it? The stairs I have to travel up are far too steep. I don't think that would work.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    No, boards lying down the center of a 45* angle stairwell with a couple of helpers It was like this...

What was the biggest problem you encountered? Did it take a lot of grunt force or was it mainly a matter of logistics and trying to get the right angels and grips and such?

I think I'm gonna try this

http://www.propianomovers.com/images/Family%20Pictures%20061.jpg

and then just yank it up. The Piano I'm buying is rather small so I don't think it will weight that much.

Man, I just moved it. What a pain in the ass!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts