SOULSTRUT VINYL GRADERS

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
finishing up my ebay auktions today ive been wondering if my vg grading system matches the universal one ???how do u guys grade your vinyl ??? this is how my gradings look:VINYL GRADING G: VINYL LOOKS TRASHED, CONSTANT SURFACE NOISE + TICS, MULTIPLE SKIPS, UNLISTENABLE. -VG: HEAVY WEAR ON VINYL, TICS AND SURFACE NOISES FROM HAIRLINES, MAYBE ACOUPLE OF SKIPS. VG: VINYL HAS WEAR, LISTENABLE BUT WITH HAIRLINES AND SOME SURFACE NOISE. VG+: VINYL SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAR, PLAYS GOOD BUT WILL HAVE SLIGHT AUDIOABLE NOISE IN PLACES. VG++: VINYL LOOKS NICE, BARELY ANY SIGNS OF WEAR, PLAYS GREAT. -EX: VINYL LOOKS NEW, PLAYS ALMOST PERFECT. EX: VINYL LOOKS NEW AND PLAYS PERFECT. NM: VINYL LOOKS AND SOUNDS UNPLAYED. M: VINYL HAS NEVER BEEN PLAYED.

Comments

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i agree with your system except for the worst 2 grades:
    i dont think a vg- should have a skip (just plenty of marks, noise)
    and to me, while G is bad, its not "unlistenable" -
    i call unlistenable/truly trashed records "Fair" or a G-

but those are minor things, and at the low end it only matters if the record is really hard to find anyway. most things vg or worse no one seems to care about unless its a $50+ lp they can get for $8 or whatever.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I skip the EX grades and just go M, NM, NM-, VG+, VG, VG-. To me, the fewer grades you use the clearer things are. I use NM- a lot for records that are visually perfect but have some play noise due to a bad pressing. But really the big grades are NM or VG+. Either a record sounds nearly new, or it is playable but has a tad of noise that doesn't get in the way. Any issues worse than that and you should be really specific about the issue (one tough skip, pops for first 30 seconds of a track, slight warp, etc.)

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    there is something I never understand in grading, it's how can you call something that's basically trash "Good" ? If a record skips all the time or has surface noise that's louder than the music, it can't be "good" it's "poor".

Also, how do you guys rate a warp record ? A record can look mint and play perfectly even if its warped.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This is my grading system. It works for me. I have very few complaints.

NM: Record has been opened, and probably played, but is in impeccable condition.

Ex: Has signs of use or storage, but still considered top collection quality. Jackets may display some slight wear; vinyl may have a few light sleeve marks only visible in the highest light. Sound will be as NM.

VG+: Still a great copy but has a bit more wear. Vinyl may have some light scuffs or scratches, but nothing deep. Jacket may have some ringwear or seamwear. Sound should be great, with very little noise.

VG: A good play copy but clearly used. Vinyl will display many hairline scuffs or scratches, but will play with a minimal amount of noise. Jacket may have splits and wear but will not be falling apart.

VG-, G: A record that has not been taken good care of. Will display scuffs, scratches, warps, and other defects. Will play with noise. Will NOT skip unless otherwise noted.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    there is something I never understand in grading, it's how can you call something that's basically trash "Good" ? If a record skips all the time or has surface noise that's louder than the music, it can't be "good" it's "poor".

Also, how do you guys rate a warp record ? A record can look mint and play perfectly even if its warped.

wand what about edge warps, when the vinyl looks mint, but the warp causes a skip...

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

NM: VINYL LOOKS AND SOUNDS UNPLAYED.

M: VINYL HAS NEVER BEEN PLAYED.

Alot of people just skip the M grade and use M- or NM as their highest grade. I know some sellers use M when they sell new stuff along with unused 2nd hand stuff.
    Eventhough you can create better precision with more grades; I think it's best not to use too many.

Last time I had a problem with a grading was when I got a VG+++ record that was badly scratched up. I would have graded it around G only. I later discovered that the seller used grades as EX+++++++

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    finishing up my ebay auktions today ive been wondering if my vg grading system matches the universal one ???

how do u guys grade your vinyl ???

this is how my gradings look:

VINYL GRADING

G: VINYL LOOKS TRASHED, CONSTANT SURFACE NOISE + TICS, MULTIPLE SKIPS, UNLISTENABLE.

-VG: HEAVY WEAR ON VINYL, TICS AND SURFACE NOISES FROM HAIRLINES, MAYBE ACOUPLE OF SKIPS.

VG: VINYL HAS WEAR, LISTENABLE BUT WITH HAIRLINES AND SOME SURFACE NOISE.

VG+: VINYL SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAR, PLAYS GOOD BUT WILL HAVE SLIGHT AUDIOABLE NOISE IN PLACES.

VG++: VINYL LOOKS NICE, BARELY ANY SIGNS OF WEAR, PLAYS GREAT.

-EX: VINYL LOOKS NEW, PLAYS ALMOST PERFECT.

EX: VINYL LOOKS NEW AND PLAYS PERFECT.

IMO that's too many levels...my eyes just glaze over reading it. I use Goldmine standards: NM, VG+, VG, G, P. That's it. I think it may hurt my sales a bit because people see VG+ and just assume it's crappy due to all the sellers using VG+++++ but whatever, I refuse to buy into that BS.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    IN PLACES.

Those three would make me nervous enough to not bid. NM is the same as EX? Do you really need a distintion between "VINYL LOOKS AND SOUNDS UNPLAYED" and "VINYL LOOKS NEW AND PLAYS PERFECT". What would the difference be? "This record looks and sounds unplayed, so I guess its NM, but this one looks new and plays perfect so its EX!" The same with your "VG++: VINYL LOOKS NICE, BARELY ANY SIGNS OF WEAR, PLAYS GREAT" and "-EX: VINYL LOOKS NEW, PLAYS ALMOST PERFECT". That doesn't seem like enough of a distinction. Its like saying the same thing, but with different wording and a new grade. There should be differences between grades that are more concrete. Ish like that to me is like a stop sign for bidding.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Unless it is dumb raer, there isnt even a need to try and ebay VG- or worse records. You are just going to get a bunch of asshurt buyers when they receive a record that is VG-...even though your auction says it is VG-, chances are they are going to complain, give you trouble and leave you negative feedback, even though you were honest with the listing. Vinyl grades on ebay should just be SS, NM, VG+, VG...if a record plays better than it is visually graded then say so after the visual grade. If a record is NM but has just a scuff or two that doesnt affect play, then you can add a plus or two to your VG+. Too many distinctions and grades just opens yourself up to weirdo/vengeful buyers that will be a pain in your ass.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Unless it is dumb raer, there isnt even a need to try and ebay VG- or worse records. You are just going to get a bunch of asshurt buyers when they receive a record that is VG-...even though your auction says it is VG-, chances are they are going to complain, give you trouble and leave you negative feedback, even though you were honest with the listing. Vinyl grades on ebay should just be SS, NM, VG+, VG...if a record plays better than it is visually graded then say so after the visual grade. If a record is NM but has just a scuff or two that doesnt affect play, then you can add a plus or two to your VG+. Too many distinctions and grades just opens yourself up to weirdo/vengeful buyers that will be a pain in your ass.

The extra plus is a good idea. As a buyer, I've also felt comfortable when people say "Strong VG +" too for records that are really clean, but not quite NM.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I think you've got too many redundant levels on that scale, R*s.

I would concur with the one Paycheck posted.

• finishing up my ebay auktions today ive been wondering if my vg grading system matches the universal one ???

how do u guys grade your vinyl ???

this is how my gradings look:

VINYL GRADING

G: VINYL LOOKS TRASHED, CONSTANT SURFACE NOISE + TICS, MULTIPLE SKIPS, UNLISTENABLE.

-VG: HEAVY WEAR ON VINYL, TICS AND SURFACE NOISES FROM HAIRLINES, MAYBE ACOUPLE OF SKIPS.

VG: VINYL HAS WEAR, LISTENABLE BUT WITH HAIRLINES AND SOME SURFACE NOISE.

VG+: VINYL SHOWS SIGNS OF WEAR, PLAYS GOOD BUT WILL HAVE SLIGHT AUDIOABLE NOISE IN PLACES.

IMO that's too many levels...my eyes just glaze over reading it. I use Goldmine standards: NM, VG+, VG, G, P. That's it. I think it may hurt my sales a bit because people see VG+ and just assume it's crappy due to all the sellers using VG+++++ but whatever, I refuse to buy into that BS.

Word.

I don't use EX either, I was always under the impression it was for 78s. I do use VG++ and NM- though. I also try to tell it like it is, for good or bad. Describe why it's VG+ or VG (sleeve scuffs, one small scratch, edgewear, etc.). I'd rather undergrade a record than overgrade it personally.

My new pet peeve is the number grading scale and the usage of terms like "between 5.5 and 6". I see a lot of 45 amateurs doing that shit. What the hell is "5.75" as a grading?

Play grading I'm mixed on.

SONIC

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

The extra plus is a good idea. As a buyer, I've also felt comfortable when people say "Strong VG +" too for records that are really clean, but not quite NM.

Yeah, I prefer it in a simple: SS, NM, VG+, VG. Frankly, I won't buy anything less than VG+ unless it's a very expensive record that I've never heard. Then I still won't drop much coin on it, because fuck spending significant cash on a trashed record.

But I do like an extra "+" on my VG if there's reason to describe it as such - like a NM that has one or two moderate scuffs or scratches that are audible, but don't cause skipping. Still, in that case, you'd best explain why it's VG++ and not NM or VG+.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't use EX either, I was always under the impression it was for 78s.

Traditionally EX was not a grade used in America (at least not for LPs). As far as I can tell what was VG+ is now EX and everything else has just been shifted down a grade. I don't understand why there's a need to throw that extra level in.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't use EX either, I was always under the impression it was for 78s.

Traditionally EX was not a grade used in America (at least not for LPs). As far as I can tell what was VG+ is now EX and everything else has just been shifted down a grade. I don't understand why there's a need to throw that extra level in.

Well for the longest I would get VG+ LPs in the mail that appeared VG or on the very low end of VG+. Or sometimes it would be damn near mint. That, IMO, needs more definition. I use Ex for pretty much everything with even the most minor flaw, and that just doesn't match at all with my experience buying VG+.

I really don't get why people would use VG++ over Ex. I hate extra plusses.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    don't use mint. if its sealed, just state sealed

NM NM- VG++ VG+

don't deal with VG records (unless mega raer I guess)

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i just wanted to say thanx u guys for sharing your opinions on the grading scale, good points being made and i'll probably have to reconsider my grading system now

VG+..............?