minnesota (im going related)

anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
The weekend of May 12th I am going to Minneapolis because I have been asked to put together a show, as well as have a show of my own work, at Midway Contemporary Art in 2008. I will be there for two days to meet and have a meeting at Midway on Saturday. After that I will get my dig on for the next 36 hours. I want to buy books and records. I want to buy your private issue doo doo. MN headz? What's the deal? i'm excited. Any friends out there? Please let me know the real headz deal. ap

Comments

• i cry

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I happened to have this thread bookmarked.

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat...rt=1#Post544390

• AP- Mike2600 has been a gracious host for alot of folks up there. he took me to hymie's and cheapo. i think cheapo is pretty dope. reminded me of aron's with alot more stock. but hit or miss. i like minneapolis.

• AP- Mike2600 has been a gracious host to me in the past. he took me to hymie's and cheapo. hymie's is a cramped shop with some decent records. also took me to cheapo which reminded me of aron's with more stock. good luck. i like minneapolis. the summer there is beautiful...
    -tate

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Checkout Hell's Kitchen (http://www.hellskitcheninc.com/). My buddy's father runs it. It's pretty well known in the area. I've never been there but one of my employees went there a said it was great. Lots of attention to detail like home-made ketchup.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Anthony, get in touch with John Kass at [email]johnny@tt.net[/email]
    http://www.gojohnnygo.com/

He is a great dude, and he has a lot of stock. I can't speak to the quality of it(been a long time), but I am sure he would be happy to answer questions for you.

Also check with Mark Trehus at Treehouse Records and John Beggs over at Roadrunner, both more or less in Uptown area, both in the book. Both are guys who have been in the record game for a minute and know their stuff.

That's all I got for ya.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    -Treehouse : 26th & Lyndale
    -Roadrunner: 43rd & Nicollet
    -Hymie???s : 33rd & E. Lake.
    -Gruff Smoking Man Shop : 38th & Bloomington. (see basement)
    -Cheapo Minneapolis : Lake St. & Fremont
    -Cheapo Saint Paul : Snelling & Ashland
    -Electric Fetus : 4th Ave. South, Just off Franklin ???recently started selling used vinyl again
    -St. Louis Park HPB : Excelsior Blvd & Park Nicollet Dr.
    -St. Paul HPB : Ford Parkway & Cleveland
    -Eclipse Records St. Paul : University between Prior and Fairview ??? just reopened, thus, slim pickings.
    -$1000 Boscoes??? at some warehouse in Chanhassen
    numerous thrifts around town, very hit or miss???. Nonessential for the time pressed visitor.

Hell's kitchen is a nice. Ralph Steadman decor makes for an interesting annual Easter meal with the folks.

AP, seems like you might be into the Raw Food thing, in which case Ecopolitan is your joint down the road from Treehouse on 24th and Lyndale.

• Crapp. I'll be in LA that weekend, but would otherwise be down to show you some record stores and other good Minneapolis things.

Check out:
    Hymie's Vintage Records[/b]

First Amendment Arts[/b] (our art gallery) 1101 Stinson Blvd, corner of Stinson and Broadway in NE MPLS. Call (612) 379-4151 to make an appointment to see it on a weekend and bring some records to trade with Wes. We'll have a show up featuring prints from Delicious Design League (homies of Strutter SexyBNyce) from Chicago which promises to be a psychedelic good time.

Walker Art Center[/b] and the sculpture garden

Minnehaha Falls[/b]

Mike 2600

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Forgot about books last post.
    For used Books:
    Mager???s & Quinn between 31st and Lake on Hennepin
    Book Smart : Between Lagoon and Lake on Hennepin
    The aforementioned HPBs
    There are a wealth of stores in Dinkytown, near the University Campus.

• Oh yeah ... and James and Mary Laurie Booksellers[/b] downtown on Nicollet Ave is great for books and early 20th century posters.

(I designed their website)
    http://www.lauriebooks.com

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i'm down to run you around to the spots. pm me your info or just hit me at [email]djkingotto@hotmail.com[/email] and let me know whatsup. peace!

• thank you so much!

i will be in touch with when the trip gets closer.

ap