Who knows this record? Afrobeat related

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
found this three weeks ago and it's incredibly good, 4 heavy Afrobeat tracks with organ, sax and funky guitar work. One track has amazing male/female vocals. I'll try and post some audio later this week.I've just recently started getting into african stuff and don't know much about it yet, I've asked a few people about this one and so far noone seems to know it.

Comments

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    id love to hear this!!! post somethin'

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    don't know it. looks great.

tabansi mostly put out crap, but some better stuff when they were nigerian presses and not the crappy US early 80's stuff.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This is a nigerian press from '75.
    I'll post up audio tomorrow.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    As promised, here are mp3 clips from the 4 tracks on this album.

NA TEEF KNOW DE ROAD OF TEEF

ATAA ONUKPA

NA SIX FEET

YOU

As some of you might know already, I'm moving to West Africa next month, hopefuly I'll be able to turn up a lot more stuff like this...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

• A massive co-sign on this one... love the call and response in the first track - the plaintive "yes?". Great gritty antiquated sound on the organ too... bwwaah!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Thanks for sharing mang.... great stuff

A massive co-sign on this one... love the call and response in the first track - the plaintive "yes?". Great gritty antiquated sound on the organ too... bwwaah!

I love that wheezy "lawrence of newark" style organ.

Douds need to do more comps of this stuff and less of fela and BLO. (kind of played out by now)

Oh and when is "afro-rock" vol. 2 coming out?

Aren't there some other solid afro funk comps out there?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Oh and when is "afro-rock" vol. 2 coming out?

Aren't there some other solid afro funk comps out there?

The stuff on the Soundway label is very solid, as was everything on the now defunct Strut label.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

As some of you might know already, I'm moving to West Africa next month, hopefuly I'll be able to turn up a lot more stuff like this...

wow - nice one, I rememeber you posting about the various spots that you had the opportunity to live in, Sydney got pipped ehh!
    hope it goes well

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

wow - nice one, I rememeber you posting about the various spots that you had the opportunity to live in, Sydney got pipped ehh!
    hope it goes well

Would have loved to go to Sidney actualy but once they offered us Guinea, we just jumped on the oportunity, always wanted to go to West Africa and this seems like the perfect chance. Just hope that there won't be any coup d'etat or other major trouble within the next three years...