Probably The Rarest LP I've Ever Bought....

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm braggin' and cross postin'......sue me.....__________________________________________________________________________________In 1968 the International Artists label released an LP by Lightnin' Hopkins titled "Free Form Patterns". Legend is that he is backed by members of the 13th Floor Elevators and the LP is fairly well known, even being re-issued on the infamous Collectables label.For almost 30 years I've read and heard of this LP having a first pressing with an alternative cover.....A top notch Philly Blues dealer told me the LP was only a rumour...A well known psych head told me the LP "Didn't exist"Well....not only does it exist, the original cover art is by famous Texas outlaw Guy Clark!!!!Half Price comes through again(Scored a Greenwood, Curlee & Clyde there today too!!)I'd love to know if anyone else has ever seen this LP!!!!

Comments

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i still cant beleive your HPB has people pricing records that know a lil something

never seen anything over like 10 bucks at mine. triple digits =

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    i still cant beleive your HPB has people pricing records that know a lil something

never seen anything over like 10 bucks at mine. triple digits =

This particular store has the "collectables" kept behind the counter.....probably 100-150 LP's that are $50.00 and up.(James Brown King LP's, Beatles, Elvis, Blues, Jazz, etc.)

Out in the racks the highest price is $14.98 and the average is probably $5.98

The fact that the folks there know a little something is the reason they turn up such great stuff(imo)

• Legend is that he is backed by members of the 13th Floor Elevators

I heard it was members of the Golden Dawn. That's a tuff score. Congrats!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I found that record (with the less rare cover) last year in a radio station buy. I was definitely a little dissapointed with the music (was expecting a blues freakout) but loved the cover and kept it anyway. Congrats.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Mr Charlie is one of my alltime favorite blues songs. i heard it when i was a kid from my mom when she used to play blues music all the time. still have my moms og 45 of it.

nice find! i dig LH a lot...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like the non-OG cover better.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    how much did you pay?