ASR 10 questions

chasechase 767 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
they have one at a local pawn shop, selling for about 400 bucks.. thinking of getting it, just to see how I like it, probably end up selling it off again..what should I be looking for?if it has the scsi port in the back does that mean it will work?and how do I see how much memory it has?And a good ol' would help toothanks doods!

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i got mine for $150 and basically use it as an effects processor. It might be worth picking up just to flip it. I think they still sell for $800 or so.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    they have one at a local pawn shop, selling for about 400 bucks..

thinking of getting it, just to see how I like it, probably end up selling it off again..

what should I be looking for?

if it has the scsi port in the back does that mean it will work?

and how do I see how much memory it has?

And a good ol' would help too

thanks doods!
    If that shit has a SCSI port installed in it, then copping for $400 is a deal.
    It's hard to find one for under $800, so getting for half the price (plus a SCSI port) is what's up.

Checking the memory on the ASR-10 is simple.
    Press Edit>System*MIDI. Scroll to the left or right until the screen reads, 'FREE SYSTEM BLKS'.
    3,800=2MB
    16,000=8MB
    7,900=4MB
    20,000=10MB
    31,000=16MB

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I miss my old ASR10 sometimes, mostly the FX and its particular "sound". Some of the patches I miss the most are stuff like the comp+dist+rev FX (#11,12 & 13 as far as I remember) that Mixmaster Mike, Qbert and them guys have used to death on their drums. They make even the wimpiest Steve Gadd fuzak beat sound like a Timbaland jeep rattler. The touch-wah was nice too.

But stay away from the internal sequencer. Freezes the system constantly. Straight garbage. I was a happy man when I started sequencing the ASR from an Atari instead.