San Francisco- What's good?

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I???m going to be in San Francisco the 16th through the 22nd and was wondering if people could recommend some things to do there. It will be my first time visiting. I???m going for a geography conference in which I???m presenting my thesis research. However, I???m going to spend a minimal amount of time at the conference and plan on checking out as much as I have time for and/or can afford. If you could make suggestions in the following categories I would appreciate it.Record stores: I play hip-hop, downtempo, house, and am starting to collect more jazz and funk/soul as well. (I???ve already heard about Groove Merchant, the 45 place across the street, Tweekin, and Amoeba)Nightlife: I want to go out every night but Wednesday and am open to most types of music (see above). I like dancing to house the most, but don???t know if my friend will be up to going to a house club. If any strutters are playing that week I would like to check out your night. Art: Are there any good galleries/exhibitions that I should check out? What about street art? Do you have any favorite graffiti pieces?Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    I like dancing to house the most

actually kingmoist enjoys this activity too. dr. most, where you at?!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I like dancing to house the most

i think the castro will offer everything you are looking for and more

if you dont eat some mission burritos at el farolito or the multitude of other spots, you might as well not go.

• I like dancing to house the most

actually kingmoist enjoys this activity too. dr. most, where you at?!

Yeah aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand? The negative view jocks have on house music is hilarious. I'll be in europe at that time so i have no idea.

basically when it comes to what I think is quality "dance" music, check whatever event Massive Selector or The Culprits are throwing (massive selector.com). Aside from that there's a fair amount of decenthip-hop clubs (some being good to good enough)

You got the record spots covered and I don't know about "art".

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    whoa there, tiger. pull the underoos out from your heiny. i was suggesting that you could check in on the help out with a twist of comedy.

"negative views jocks have on house music"? get your nose out of the air there, most. personally, i love the way that people throw the term "jock" around, just becuase i don't rock women's jeans and got a crossover i'm a jock? wha-wha-wha?!

calm down, man.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    more importantly: what's good this weekend in SF?

I like the lil mail Steph had going around. Milk on Sat maybe?

it's only Tuesday and your boy already has his eyes on the prize.

• more importantly: what's good this weekend in SF?

get a myspace account and you'll be told every 12 seconds on WHATS POPPINGTON IN THE YAY.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    more importantly: what's good this weekend in SF?

get a myspace account and you'll be told every 12 seconds on WHATS POPPINGTON IN THE YAY.

Hahaha, truth! And you'll even get the sneak preview before I start being That Annoying MySpace Blasting Dude:

This Friday, I'll be doing an all-45 session with DJ Centipede at Madrone, including cutting up some beats for the homie Rashaan Ahmad to rhyme over. We're also going to be playing production/remixes, both released and unreleased by Centipede and yours truly before we get down to playing rekkids. Gyeah!