in need of guitar wisdom

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
i got a cheap peavey t-15 guitar because it's light and thin compared to my heavy les paul. but one of the tuning pegs is chipped and the woman put a twisty tie thing around it. wtf? i don't have the slightest clue about replacing guitar parts. would it be easy to replace tuning pegs for a somewhat unpopular guitar? also would it be lame to ask for some money back since the woman did not note a lot of damage such as this jenky tunning peg? it said "very good condition and minor wear", not mechanical defects.

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just take the string off & unscrew the whole tuning peg mechanism from the little screws on the back of the headstock, it should come off as a single peg. Take the single tuning peg into a guitar shop & they should have a spare one lying around they can sell you that will replace it. Not tricky or a big deal at all.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, should be pretty simple to find an odd one to fit if you don't care if it matches perfectly.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    oh cool. thanks. i though they had to all match. don't really care if it looks frankenstein. i just don't want it to go out of tune easily.

how much do they cost usually?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    They might come with the "We only do sets of 6" line... Don't take it, unless you need six.

I remember having a big row with the wife once, where she threw my bass down the stairs (she was *mildly* pissed at me) which broke off a tuner. That kind of turned my forehead-mounted "Pissed" dial to 5 and I responded by throwing it back up the stairs, embedding half of the neck in the wall at the top (a bit like Excalibur).

Then I needed 4 new pegs.

oh cool. thanks. i though they had to all match. don't really care if it looks frankenstein. i just don't want it to go out of tune easily.

how much do they cost usually?

well yeah, like someone said, some shops (like guitar center) might wanna sell ya a set... try and find a crappy place or someone with a lot of junk guitars and you can probably get one for free/next to nothing.

• Dude(tte)! The T15 was my first electric. Cool little 3/4-sized guitar. I think I replaced all my tuning pegs because the originals kinda sucked. I don't think they cost that much, because I was always broke. IIRC, Schaller makes really good pegs.

Did yours come with a molded plastic case? Mine did, but some of the T15s came with an "electric case" that had a little amp built in, a la the old-school Danelectros/Silvertones. I bought my T15 from my guitar teacher, whose mom was one of the heaviest smokers I've ever known. That guitar smelled like cigarette smoke for the entire 6 or 7 years I owned it.

If I may hi-jack this thread just a wee bit... does anyone in the greater bay area know a good place to have a guitar repaired? I've recently come into possession of rare guitar that needs some work... and I'm kinda nervous about just taking it to some random place.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Dude(tte)! The T15 was my first electric. Cool little 3/4-sized guitar. I think I replaced all my tuning pegs because the originals kinda sucked. I don't think they cost that much, because I was always broke. IIRC, Schaller makes really good pegs.

Did yours come with a molded plastic case? Mine did, but some of the T15s came with an "electric case" that had a little amp built in, a la the old-school Danelectros/Silvertones. I bought my T15 from my guitar teacher, whose mom was one of the heaviest smokers I've ever known. That guitar smelled like cigarette smoke for the entire 6 or 7 years I owned it.

yeah i really like how light it is and i can't afford a mustang right now. i paid $150 but had it delivered to work so haven't had a chance to test it out yet. the tuning pegs look cheap. mine didn't come with the molded plastic or amp case. most of the t-15s i've seen have the natural wood body and mine is navy blue. i hope this thing plays okay. i played one at that guitar shop on shattuck in berkeley and liked it a lot but they wanted $250 for it which i didn't think was worth it. plus it had some weirdo midi cable built into it.

crink, i'll ask some people where to go. what kind of guitar is it? my boyfriend recently had an acoustic family heirloom fixed up but i don't know how much he paid.

crink, i'll ask some people where to go. what kind of guitar is it? my boyfriend recently had an acoustic family heirloom fixed up but i don't know how much he paid.

Thanks! That is the situation I'm in... my dad just gave me his dad's 30's Gibson. This guitar is probably worth more than I am.

If I may hi-jack this thread just a wee bit... does anyone in the greater bay area know a good place to have a guitar repaired? I've recently come into possession of rare guitar that needs some work... and I'm kinda nervous about just taking it to some random place.
    What sort of guitar & what sort of work?

Thanks! That is the situation I'm in... my dad just gave me his dad's 30's Gibson. This guitar is probably worth more than I am.
    Oh cool, acoustic flat top or jazz style arch top?

• Thanks! That is the situation I'm in... my dad just gave me his dad's 30's Gibson. This guitar is probably worth more than I am.

Post pics!

If you'd be willing to (gasp) ship it somewhere for repairs, let me know. My brothers knows of several incredible luthiers in Texas and elsewhere.

Oh cool, acoustic flat top or jazz style arch top?

here it is...

needs frets (they've never been replaced) and one of the tuning pegs is broken. probably some other minor things, but it's still in decent shape overall.