Mannie Fresh (Def Jam related)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone know about this deal he's just done over there? Production most likely, but maybe a label deal? Curious to see who he brings in.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Anyone know about this deal he's just done over there? Production most likely, but maybe a label deal? Curious to see who he brings in.

It sounded more like he was going to be some sort of VP within the existing infrastructure.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Mannie Fresh is the shit. If Def Jam is going to give him artistic freedom and put some real resources behind him, then

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=8762

he'll oversee def jam's southern artists, sign new talent, and be able to work on any other projects

so which def jam artists will benefit from mannie's beats?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this is great news

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

What rappers do they have left?? Jeezy, Luda, Jay, Redman, Ghost... that it? I wouldn't mind hearing any of them collaborate with him, doubt it would work with Ghost but it'd be fun to hear the result

They definitely need somebody to get some damn rappers on DJ though, don't know if he's the man for the job or not but Jay sure isn't

What rappers do they have left?? Jeezy, Luda, Jay, Redman, Ghost... that it? I wouldn't mind hearing any of them collaborate with him, doubt it would work with Ghost but it'd be fun to hear the result

Kanye
    Beanie just re-signed to the Roc
    Peedi Crack on the backburner
    Nas
    Fabolous (acquired from Atlantic in trade for Musiq)
    Joe Budden (never coming out)

...none of those guys particularly need Mannie's production, though.

I think the idea is that he'll sign/develop some southern talent. Def Jam only has two southern artists on the roster (and they did jointly release the one Face album), despite the fact that the south has been running rap for years now.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

So labels are now trading artists like baseball players?

So labels are now trading artists like baseball players?

This seems to be Jay's innovation--he also did the deal to bring Nas over from Sony/Columbia.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Jeezy, Luda, Jay, Redman, Ghost

They definitely need somebody to get some damn rappers on DJ though,

uhh...sounds like they already got some. and depending on your taste that's a pretty strong roster. (I would consider Redman and Ghost a strong roster on its own). do they really need a B-team? maybe a bleek?

• so which def jam artists will benefit from mannie's beats?

Kanye
    Beanie just re-signed to the Roc
    Peedi Crack on the backburner
    Nas
    Joe Budden (never coming out)

...none of those guys particularly need Mannie's production, though.

I think the idea is that he'll sign/develop some southern talent. Def Jam only has two southern artists on the roster (and they did jointly release the one Face album), despite the fact that the south has been running rap for years now.

how can we forget about sam scarfo and young leek?

(I would consider Redman and Ghost a strong roster on its own).

Chad, I don't know how this fact has eluded you, you being a lawyer and all, but Def Jam is actually in the business of selling records.

• (I would consider Redman and Ghost a strong roster on its own).

Chad, I don't know how this fact has eluded you, you being a lawyer and all, but Def Jam is actually in the business of selling records.

a 'sonned' graemlin seems a little harsh here...but, I'm gonna allow it:

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

hey it's no secret some people on here value record sale volume over talent. fauxrillz has long maintained this position.

hardly a sonning. merely a difference of opinion, i.e. I'm right and he's wrong.

• Nice...Lawyer Fight.

Jeezy, Luda, Jay, Redman, Ghost

They definitely need somebody to get some damn rappers on DJ though,

uhh...sounds like they already got some. and depending on your taste that's a pretty strong roster. (I would consider Redman and Ghost a strong roster on its own). do they really need a B-team? maybe a bleek?

Naw, I know they've got talent (and based on the sampler Fabo does not even enter consideration here) but I'm just saying - what should be and is traditionally the BIG rap label, there's hardly any rappers on it and its been that way for a while... if Jay just wants a tight roster that he can put time and effort into thats cool... but it seems like he focuses more on the teenybopper pop/rnb acts these days (I guess thats what pays the bills)

hey it's no secret some people on here value record sale volume over talent. fauxrillz has long maintained this position.

No, Chad, that's never been my position--and if your belief that I have publicly subscribed to it at some point is in any way indicative of your ability to digest a nuanced argument, then I fear for your clients.

However, my personal values aside, selling records should be a priority for the people in charge at Def Jam.

Are the Roots still on DJ??

They are in that same ass-hurt are-they-or-aren't-they space occupied by LL and Method Man.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    jeezy, jay, and nas were some of the biggest selling rap records last year, right? how much did ghost's two albums end up selling?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

WORST move they have ever made, maybe besides The Seed. Well, and letting Scott Storch make beats for them. But still, they would be so much better off if they stopped trying to bandwagon onto major hip-hop labels.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

if your belief that I have publicly subscribed to it at some point is in any way indicative of your ability to digest a nuanced argument, then I fear for your clients.

Nice...Lawyer Cat Fight.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    whatever the situation is with def jam, bringing mannie on board is a good move no matter how you cut it. he's been the best southern producer since just about when the south started rapping, constantly innovative too.
    i just hope this situation at the new label doesn't restrict or dampen his skills, and i hope he can find some talent to ride his beats.

a look back at early mannie: http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=1841

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    he's been the best southern producer since just about when the south started rapping

dude

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    disconnected x 200